For those that do take a firearm with you...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WalkaboutTed said:
...So now I have a baby Glock 26.  I like the smaller one as it prints less on me.  I have a shotgun, though my shoulder complains with it.

Picking a firearm is a lot like choosing a travel vehicle:  none is perfect for all uses, always trade offs to consider.

Ted, My 20 gauge Remington 870 with walnut stock is hard on my shoulder, too.  The neoprene sling helps a lot, tho.  The weight of the stock helps absorb the recoil, but I wouldn't take up dove hunting with this shotgun.   But for home defense, especially an event that wakes you in the dark from deep sleep. there's NOTHING like a shotgun.  I would not hope to rely on a handgun inside in darkness.

For any women considering a shotgun:  I recommend the 20 gauge Reminghton 870 "youth" model.  Does much the same job as a 12 gauge.  The youth model fit me perfectly, no need to reduce the stock length.  Also, the barrel is shorter, never a bad thing for home self defense use.  Yes, this 20 gauge is available with a lite weight synthetic stock, but I am glad to have the heavy walnut stock.  Absorbs recoil well.

I like the SP101 I've been checking out.  I only wish it would also take 410 shells for snakes.  No bad snakes here in the redwoods, but I may be relocating to NM where it could be an issue.

Charlotte

highdesertranger said:
Lenny if you don't like the subject and think it's shameful don't read this thread and STOP POSTING ON IT.
Stranger, this thread already has a LOT of useful info.  It would be more useful if inappropriate off topic posts were stripped.  Perhaps Steve, the OP, could request a clean up if moderator is not the one to do it.  Thanks.
Charlotte
State of Jefferson

WalkaboutTed said:
Since you all are talking about this subject, how about some suggestions for a reasonably priced replacement for the shotgun and appropriate ammo. Anything that wouldn't kill my old shoulder so much?  I, too am more concerned for the two legged predators.

You didn't say what gauge the shotgun was. I'm guessing 12 gauge?  If so, I would agree that you should look at a 20 gauge.  The rifled slug in 20 gauge has more power than a .44 magnum and would be plenty accurate out to 30 yards or a bit more. 

If it was a 20 gauge that you found hurt your shoulder, look at a lever action rifle in .357 or .44 magnum.  It should kick less, and still have enough power to deal with a cougar or wolf.

If you're not concerned with 4 legged problems, consider a Ruger 10-22.  A good shot could dump 10 shots into somebody's chest in just a couple of seconds, which should discourage anybody trying to be a problem.

Steve in Micco said:
I tend to favor the Ithaca M37... 
 I kind of like my Mossberg 500 with 18 inch barrel and standard Black polymer stock. It's been reliable.

Ballenxj said:
 I kind of like my Mossberg 500 with 18 inch barrel and standard Black polymer stock. It's been reliable.

I keep the Ithaca M37 Defense shotgun in the trailer/truck when we travel.  Can go to all 48 states and Canada with it.    Use 3" magnum 00 Buckshot, 8-shot 12-gauge.

DefenseSynthetic8Shot.jpg

I need/want a few upgrades to my Ruger 10/22 carbine & would appreciate input.

First off, I need a scope!  And it has to be easy to use by a shooter wearing glasses.  And modestly priced.  

Two autumns ago, I had  *one chance*  to shoot what looked to be a rabid coyote.  It was alone, staggering, & showed NO fear of me.  It actually began walking toward me.  MY 10/22 was near at hand, but without a scope,
I missed & had to call the county trapper out here, which cost me $50.  (yes, it tested positive for rabies)

Seems that, while I am at it, I should consider a night vision scope.  Will a night vision scope work in daylight
too?  Do any of you use them? 
Opinions, please.  Thanks!

Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
I need/want a few upgrades to my Ruger 10/22 carbine & would appreciate input.

First off, I need a scope!  And it has to be easy to use by a shooter wearing glasses.  And modestly priced.  

Two autumns ago, I had  *one chance*  to shoot what looked to be a rabid coyote.  It was alone, staggering, & showed NO fear of me.  It actually began walking toward me.  MY 10/22 was near at hand, but without a scope,
I missed & had to call the county trapper out here, which cost me $50.  (yes, it tested positive for rabies)

Seems that, while I am at it, I should consider a night vision scope.  Will a night vision scope work in daylight
too?  Do any of you use them? 
Opinions, please.  Thanks!

Charlotte
Hey there Charlotte, 

The NV optics can run the gamut pricewise. Quality is seldom inexpensive. I don't believe the older generation of NV will work at all in the daylight. I last shot with one in the mid-80s. I am sure that wrinkle has been hammered out by now, but I believe current issue run close to the price of a used car.

The cheapest/workable option would be to find a quality 30 mm scope of low fixed power. The 30 mm tube has a bit more light gathering ability than the 1" scopes. You might find the best deal at a gun show on a Redfield or Leupold (sp?). Shun the Chinese products as sold by Wal-Mart. Even used, expect to spend close to $100 for a quality fixed 3 power. The higher power and variable 
scopes aren't as useful, in my book.

The 10/22 is generally a well made gun that just doesn't break. You have selected well. Brownell's and Midway carry pages of add ons dedicated to it.

Steve in Micco said:
...The 10/22 is generally a well made gun that just doesn't break. You have selected well. Brownell's and Midway carry pages of add ons dedicated to it.

Agree.  The Ruger 10/22 is the gold standard for the .22

jim1521 said:
I keep the Ithaca M37 Defense shotgun in the trailer/truck when we travel.  Can go to all 48 states and Canada with it.    Use 3" magnum 00 Buckshot, 8-shot 12-gauge.

DefenseSynthetic8Shot.jpg

Have you ever been challenged by a LEO?

I wanted to post a heads up to some of you coming through California.  CA gun laws that are different than most other states.  Some of these laws are well known (magazines greater than 10rds and certain rules re: "assault weapons") but others might surprise you.  2 posts in this thread re: items that are not allowed in CA are night vision scopes (mounted) and revolvers that can shoot shotgun shells (like the Taurus Judge).

I got my high capacity mags out of the state before the ban. however I heard that the ban is on hold because of court challenges. mind you this is what I heard , I have not confirmed this info. you need to know the laws for the state you are planning on going through. do your homework. highdesertranger

This is the big problem with gun laws; you end up breaking the law b/c it is so complicated/ever changing... Here's how I understand it:

magazines greater than 10 rounds were illegal to buy, import, mfg, ect... for a long time (late 90's I think) BUT you were able to own the standard capacity magazines you had before the ban. The recent law that banned ownership (possession) is under challenge. But for folks that were not CA residents in the 90's bringing magazines greater than 10rds is still illegal.

Like Boyntonstu mentioned a couple of posts above, a pump action shotgun should be fine in any US state including CA. Revolvers with exception of the ones capable of firing shotgun shells should be fine in any US state, too. I believe all semi automatic handguns are fine in CA as long as you have only 10 rd magazines in your possession. Clear as mud, right?

I didn't mean to go off the original topic but I do think this information could affect which gun (if any) you decide to bring with you into CA. Calguns.net has flow charts that do a much better job explaining what's legal in terms of handguns, long guns, and shotguns.

Steve in Micco said:
The cheapest/workable option would be to find a quality 30 mm scope of low fixed power.  ... expect to spend close to $100 for a quality fixed 3 power. The higher power and variable scopes aren't as useful, in my book.

Brownell's and Midway carry pages of add ons dedicated to it.

Hi Steve,
This is good, useful info.  I will follow you recommendations,  & never buy Chinese made! 
confused.gif

Thanks,
Charlotte

Travelmonkey said:
This is the big problem with gun laws; you end up breaking the law b/c it is so complicated/ever changing...  Here's how I understand it:

magazines greater than 10 rounds were illegal to buy, import, mfg, ect... for a long time (late 90's I think) BUT you were able to own the standard capacity magazines you had before the ban.  The recent law that banned ownership (possession) is under challenge.  But for folks that were not CA residents in the 90's bringing magazines greater than 10rds is still illegal.

Like Boyntonstu mentioned a couple of posts above, a pump action shotgun should be fine in any US state including CA.  Revolvers with exception of the ones capable of firing shotgun shells should be fine in any US state, too.  I believe all semi automatic handguns are fine in CA as long as you have only 10 rd magazines in your possession.   Clear as mud, right?    

I didn't mean to go off the original topic but I do think this information could affect which gun (if any) you decide to bring with you into CA.  Calguns.net has flow charts that do a much better job explaining what's legal in terms of handguns, long guns, and shotguns.
Thanks,  but I don't deserve the credit, Jim1521 deserves it.

I just remembered. Van Tramp posted a thread some time back that listed the gun laws for every state I believe. I will see if I can dig it up. highdesertranger

it wasn't Van Tramp, more digging.

karl said:
I prefer wheel guns(revolvers) for dependability, and simplicity. 357 mag GP 100 Ruger is my favorite for the wide range of ammo available

I was just about to post this exact line....   :p 
I don't have mine anymore..  Got rid of it 15+ years ago, but I've been thinking about getting another one.  
I've always liked that you can run .38 through them if you want.  Kind of nice to have options.  

I also had a Ruger 9mm semi-auto, but I never liked it.  I much prefer the simplicity, form and reliability you get from a revolver.  

Since my only planned use for a gun at this point in my life is for trips to wilderness areas (BLM land), I'm wondering if perhaps I should up to a .44 magnum wheel-gun.  

I've never felt the need for personal protection, and that's a good thing since I live in ultra liberal "Kalifornia".  A state where defending yourself with deadly force will likely put you on the fast track to a prison cell.

unless you are talking grizz or a mouse on meth I think a .357 is fine. highdesertranger

BigT said:
I was just about to post this exact line....   :p 
I don't have mine anymore..  Got rid of it 15+ years ago, but I've been thinking about getting another one.  
I've always liked that you can run .38 through them if you want.  Kind of nice to have options.  

I also had a Ruger 9mm semi-auto, but I never liked it.  I much prefer the simplicity, form and reliability you get from a revolver.  

Since my only planned use for a gun at this point in my life is for trips to wilderness areas (BLM land), I'm wondering if perhaps I should up to a .44 magnum wheel-gun.  

I've never felt the need for personal protection, and that's a good thing since I live in ultra liberal "Kalifornia".  A state where defending yourself with deadly force will likely put you on the fast track to a prison cell.
Big T....I agree with you on both your dislike of the Ruger 9mm (way to heavy) and passion for that GP100. My GP is an early model from back when you could get it with fixed sights (my preference). I generally just shoot .38s in mine. The .44s are nice, but more than I currently need here.