For those that do take a firearm with you...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lenny flank said:
People who de-humanize other people, are toxic and dangerous. 

There is no place for it in a civilized society.

There is no place for lots of things in civilized society, doesn't mean they or it doesn't exist.  Plenty of people would say van dwellers have no place in a civilized society.  It's all open for interpretation.  

I forgot to answer the original question.  I've always carried a S&W Shield or Ruger LCP for personal protection.  Never expect to need either one.  .44 Ruger Redhawk if i'm in big game territory.

I prefer wheel guns(revolvers) for dependability, and simplicity. 357 mag GP 100 Ruger is my favorite for the wide range of ammo available, although I preferred my 44mag Redhawk for shotshells. Choice of concealed is a Smith 29, or 60
I have an Ithica 37 12ga that I like a lot, but a Maverick( mossberg knockoff) 12 ga pump, 18" w/ lamp, topped with 2 #7 and followed by 3 -00 buck is my grab n go for bumps in the night or banging around the Jeep or tractor..
Winchester 30/30 mod 94 for nostalgia,and brush hunting, Ruger 77 in 308 if I'm serious.

Yep, old school for the old fool.

LennyFlank: "People who de-humanize other people, are toxic and dangerous. There is no place for it in a civilized society."

We don't have a 'civilized society'. Some like to think so, but it's a fantasy. Nothing can change a bleeding heart faster than a nasty physical attack by a vicious psychopath. It's the people who try to obstruct others from dealing with violent criminals who are toxic and dangerous. In the last 50 years, there has been an incredible increase in viciousness, not less, so the turn-the-other-cheek folks seem to be slipping.

Steve in Micco said:
Anyway, getting back to my original topic...what firearm have you chosen? And why?

Personally, I am undecided.  Currently, I live in a forest teaming with wildlife, including black bears, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, etc.  I own, but seldom use, two "ranch guns"---a 20 gauge Remington 870 with a heavy walnut stock & a Ruger 10/22 carbine. 

When my place sells, I will keep these, but for travel am leaning toward a mid-size revolver.
The smallest revolvers are great for CC, but I still prefer the heft/accuracy of a heavier hand gun.  I don't have any fondness for guns, but consider them necessary tools. 

My Remington is good looking & dependable, but as I am petite, it's awful heavy to lug around in the woods on its neoprene sling during months when the big cats have nests of kits in the giant redwood stumps.  So soon enough I will be shopping for a mid-weight revolver with stopping power.  Probably this will be my choice for a rig firearm.

Hope this thread stays on track.  I am looking for ideas...
huh.gif
Charlotte

Steve in Micco said:
Anyway, getting back to my original topic...what firearm have you chosen? And why?

I've got half a dozen pistols.  I got my start with double action revolvers.  Carried a Ruger Security-six for several years as an armored car guard.  Being well conditioned to point gun, pull trigger, I can't deal with any handgun that:

1: Is single action.

2: Goes from double action to single action.

3: Has a manual safety.

4: Has a decocker.

I still have the Security-Six in .357 mag,  well as a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. Oh, and a S&W 18 in .22.

Plus a couple of Kahrs in .40 and 9mm, a Glock 35 in .40, and a Beretta 96D (DAO) in .40.

I also have a .22 conversion kit for the Glock, and I've been toying with the idea of acquiring conversion barrels in 9mm and .357 SIG for it as well.

Most of my pistols have been worked over by really good pistolsmiths, Hamilton Bowen, Fred Sadowski, Ted Yost, etc. It really spoils you with how much of an improvement they can do to a factory gun.

As for snakes and snake loads, I think I would prefer to carry one of those Bond derringers with .410 loads instead, with a regular handgun carried for other problems.

Either a .357 or hot .40 in wolf or cougar country (I like Corbon DPX  for .40) or the .44 mag in bear country, Garret or Buffalo Bore.

Charlotte\ said:
Personally, I am undecided.  Currently, I live in a forest teaming with wildlife, including black bears, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, etc.  I own, but seldom use, two "ranch guns"---a 20 gauge Remington 870 with a heavy walnut stock & a Ruger 10/22 carbine. 

When my place sells, I will keep these, but for travel am leaning toward a mid-size revolver.
The smallest revolvers are great for CC, but I still prefer the heft/accuracy of a heavier hand gun.  I don't have any fondness for guns, but consider them necessary tools. 

I sold guns for a few years at a Gander Mountain store and used to make recommendations all the time.

I would recommend a 4 inch barreled .357 magnum.  This should have the power you need without being excessive.  If necessary, you could load it with .38+P.  That would be the minimum I would recommend for something like a cougar.

I can tell you from experience that having the revolver Mag-Na-Ported helps considerably with the recoil.  And Pachmayer makes rubber grips from a special material that also helps a lot, they call them Decelerator grips.

Both my Security-Six and Redhawk have both the grips and the porting.  It helps a lot.

Hope this helps.

I just have a little .22 It was given to me, I can shoot it just fine, it's just wimpy. Want to get something beefier, but it's not in the top ten on the priority list.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Being well conditioned to point gun, pull trigger, I can't deal with any handgun that:

1: Is single action.

2: Goes from double action to single action.

3: Has a manual safety.

4: Has a decocker.
Thanks, good to learn this forum has knowledgeable gun owners aboard. 
Not sure, yet, what single vs double action means, which indicates I've got a steep learning curve.  So far I know I want:  dependable, stopping power with ammo that is easily available (?).  I like stainless & mid length barrel, & *affordable*.  Has to be a revolver, for aesthetic/emotional reasons.  Traditional looks. 
Anything against the idea of a used revolver from a good gun shop?  What to look out for?  The nearest range is far from me, so won't be able to try anything before purchase...
Cheers, 
Charlotte

GypsySpirit said:
I just have a little .22   It was given to me, I can shoot it just fine, it's just wimpy. 

If by a "little .22" you mean a hand gun, my old boyfriend used to call those things "chin guns" or "pea shooters". 
Pretty useless, even dangerous, as they are said to only make your attacker (two or four legged) mad.

I understand some very reliable & suitable hand guns for self defense can be bought for very reasonable amounts.  But you need to do your research to get the right one...There are obviously some experts here on this thread--not me tho!

Charlotte

Charlotte\ said:
<-------->
  The nearest range is far from me, so won't be able to try anything before purchase...
I'm really surprised that Ruger's SP101 in .357 Magnum has not been mentioned here? Can be had with 2 & 1/4", 3", and 4" barrel lengths.
Some have referred to it as the little Tank Gun.
A used weapon is OK too as long as everything about it checks out OK.

Charlotte\ said:
<-------->
  The nearest range is far from me, so won't be able to try anything before purchase...
I'm really surprised that Ruger's SP101 in .357 Magnum has not been mentioned here? Can be had with 2 & 1/4", 3", and 4" barrel lengths.
Some have referred to it as the little Tank Gun. Shoots either .38 or .357.

Charlotte\ said:
Anything against the idea of a used revolver from a good gun shop?  What to look out for?  The nearest range is far from me, so won't be able to try anything before purchase...

Nothing wrong with a good used revolver.  A decade or so back, the market was flooded with police trade ins as everybody switched to Glocks and similar pistols.  Mostly Smith & Wessons, a few classic Colts.  Many showed lots of holster wear, but were mechanically still very good, since a lot of cops never practiced much and the guns just weren't shot very often.  You might still find some of them.

Go to YouTube and search on "How to buy a used revolver".  Lots of good info there, way more than I can fit in a post like this.

Just make sure you understand the gun stores warranty and return policy, in case there's a problem with it when you go to shoot it.  If you can put 100 rounds through it without any problems, it's reliable enough to bet your life on it.

Consider paying for it with a credit card.  If you really have a problem, and the gun store isn't really helpful, you can dispute the charge.  That really gets their attention and motivates them to solve the problem.

Ballenxj said:
Some have referred to it as the little Tank Gun. Shoots either .38 or .357.

Thanks!
OK, so now I have some good suggestions what to look at.  (A little "Tank Gun" reputation, eh?) 

Now, since I will need to buy over the counter at a good gun shop, am I to assume any used firearm they sell has been "checked out" thoroughly?  Or is the onus on the buyer? 

Charlotte

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Nothing wrong with a good used revolver. 

Just make sure you understand the gun stores warranty and return policy, in case there's a problem with it when you go to shoot it.  If you can put 100 rounds through it without any problems, it's reliable enough to bet your life on it.

Consider paying for it with a credit card.  If you really have a problem, and the gun store isn't really helpful, you can dispute the charge.  That really gets their attention and motivates them to solve the problem.

Thanks, John!
Such good info.  Just what I needed to know.  The only problem I see with putting 100 rounds thru the revolver is the cost of ammo!  It's really outrageous around here (CA).  Need I say more?  The credit card payment suggestion makes perfect sense.  That's what I will do when ready to buy. 

Charlotte

Boyntonstu said:
Seecamp .32 LWS Winchester Silvertips.

The smallest, lightest, most powerful, made in the USA,  stainless steel carry that I could find  30 years ago.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/seecamp-32-lws-pistol/#axzz4r5GPkYLb

That's really old school.  For a time, that was THE hot gun for knowledgable cops and feds to carry as a backup piece.  There were very long waiting lists.  North American Arms made their own copy to tap into that market.

These days, they either carry Kahrs or mini-glock.

My Kahr PM9 is only a little bigger, weighs a lot less, and is way more powerful.

The long-time have the advantage that you can use the full size magazines in them if you have to.

The Seecamp is still highly collectable, and I'm sure you could sell it for way more than you paid for it.

I wish I had the money to indulge myself by buying collectable guns.  I'd love to own a nice Colt Python.

karl said:
I prefer wheel guns(revolvers) for dependability, and simplicity. 357 mag GP 100 Ruger is my favorite for the wide range of ammo available, although I preferred my 44mag Redhawk for shotshells. Choice of concealed is a Smith 29, or 60
I have an Ithica 37 12ga that I like a lot, but a Maverick( mossberg knockoff) 12 ga pump, 18" w/ lamp, topped with 2 #7 and followed by 3 -00 buck is my grab n go for bumps in the night or banging around the Jeep or tractor..
Winchester 30/30 mod 94 for nostalgia,and brush hunting,  Ruger 77 in 308 if I'm serious.

Yep, old school for the old fool.
Karl,
I think we must have graduated from the same old school together. I too think fondly of those same choices in Rugers and Smith revolvers...and as stated like the Ithaca M37/12 bore. I too have a Winchester 94 .30-30 in Trapper configuration and a .308 bolt gun. Both of the later get a lot of pig use here.

WOW!  I never knew that there was such a law!

[font=LAHeadline,]L.A. is poised to roll back ban on 'ultracompact' guns[/font]

[font=LAHeadline,][font=Georgia,]L.A.’s longstanding ban prohibits firearm dealers in the city from selling smaller guns that measure up to 6.75 inches in length and 4.5 inches in height, as well as holsters to carry them.[/font][/font]

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-small-guns-20170828-story.html

Charlotte\ said:
Thanks, John!
Such good info.  Just what I needed to know.  The only problem I see with putting 100 rounds thru the revolver is the cost of ammo!  It's really outrageous around here (CA).  Need I say more?  The credit card payment suggestion makes perfect sense.  That's what I will do when ready to buy. 

Charlotte

Charlotte,

Lots of good suggestions here. The SP101 is indeed a solid choice. I have one in .4" in .32 H&R magnum that my daughter enjoys playing with. Have never fired the same in .38, but they are certainly built to last. John's comments about Security Six, and larger still GP100 are also valid. Both can be had in stainless with a 4" barrel. Sadly, the Security Sixes are long out of print. 

As to the ammo situation in California, I have been told that inventories have dried up or priced to what the market will bear. Perhaps, have an out of state friend buy ammo for you in their local Wal-Mart and bring or ship it to you via common carrier. 

I know here in Florida, many ranges rent guns to try-before-you-buy. Also, a few of our larger ranges have qualified NRA female police instructors that are good at dispelling the severe testosterone that male range officers can emit. 

Best wishes.