For those interested in Capri truck campers...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathead

Reaction score
It turns out that the Capri truck camper can be made without the wheel well boxes, so there is more storage space inside camper, if mounted on a flatbed truck.
I really didn't expect them to reply with "Yes we can build a camper without the wheel wells and have the walls go straight down for a flat bed truck".
Opens up some possibilities, like getting a basic model and install my own 36 x 36 bathroom and having so much more storage available inside.

That is very good to know! My concern is that most flatbeds are so high up in the air that it will be difficult for me and my dog to get in and out. It's hard enough in a regular pickup bed that is below the wheel wells.
Bob

When I lived in my F150 4x4 with tall camper shell it was my biggest problem. I had an 80 pound dog who was very tall so he could jump up and down no problem. But I thought then and still think it contributed to his joint problems when he was older.

The best solution I found was a tall folding plastic steps but a flat bed would be another foot taller and that wouldn't work!
Bob

I didn't mean to recommend this product, just the general concept of a deck with ramp that folds up, as a possible idea to explore.

Why thanks highdesertranger.
Not sure of how high the flatbed would be. I've seen people state online anywhere from 3" to 12" above where the normal truck bed was.
And the deck/ramp thing might be too much effort for every time we want to stop to enter camper.
Always so much to consider!

well the bed must clear the tires when the suspension is fully compressed. you could have small wheel well to lower the bed a bit. also no matter what you have for your entry ramp or steps you need to pick them up and set them up every time you move. highdesertranger

First thing out last thing in I have a 2 step plastic folding step works for me even with airbags.

I sure wish there were more reviews and opinions as to the quality and long term durability of these campers.

Matt

I've been reading good things about them. I'm going to be ordering a Cowboy model in the next few months. Really looking forward to it.

I would love to have a Cowboy Model fitted to my Ram 1500 for a trip to AK. I think I would be fine with the size (Regular 6.5' bed) but the payload of my truck is pretty low; ~1200lbs. I would need a completely strip down model.

Funny to see this post again after so long.
I was, and still am researching the best truck camper for us. We have another 17 months to go, but the searching is fun too.
The Capri is probably just too small for the two of us full time.
I have never seen one, but I can say the company responds quickly to email questions.
We want to get to remote places and do some hiking/boondocking , so we want the nimbleness of a small camper but big enough to go full time in.
Compromise might be a used Northstar Laredo, and really like the clamshell and layout of the Bigfoot 25C9.4SB, but it might be too big. We just have to travel to go see what they are like in person.

Heck look on Pinterest for “213 best, unusual truck campers” images... you’ll get some build ideas!!

This one solves the getting up into the camper issue nicely, don’t you think?  :p