For those in Cargo Vans... what's your preferred bed height?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to bed height and comfort. I am building a folding bed that becomes a seat. Wanting to keep the windows open for my view and limited by wheel wells, and not a high top. I decided on 12 inch high frame, from the floor. A few inches of foam upholstery will add a bit to that. It is a compromise between head/ceiling and knee/fold when sitting. This is my 6th build and I try to learn from the past.

DazarGaidin said:
an observation i had, rotating spots doesnt help much. if someone sees you parked there one day. you leave for 2days but they arent there or dont notice until you return the 3rd, they are gonna think you have never left. Had this actually happen to me. Guy said 'ive seen you hear every day' , and i could tell he really thought this was the case, when i actually rotated a few days. Not sure if im explaining it well...

I think ideally you should have 14 different spots so you aren't parked in the same spot more than twice per month. Even better would be 14 spots just for overnight sleeping and 14 different spots for daytime use. There is a fairly large mall in my area and I could use the same mall parking lot by alternating spots within the same lot... well, its actually multiple lots I suppose.

ccbreder said:
Wanting to keep the windows open for my view and limited by wheel wells, and not a high top.

Thanks for this. As this is my first build. I have a conversion van and use that passenger side window a lot. Didn't think about how my visibility would be compromised by building the bed higher up as I was planning. Now it seems like a no brainer. Now I know I need to double check some things.

Latest posts