For Christian Van Dwellers...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we don't want to engage in controversy in this thread, what is it to be used for? Exchanging notes on churches we visited while on the road? Or daily Bible verses? Or... praise reports? I'm such a bookish person I'd probably start writing about Christian books I've read.

Here's a short story about a church I visited while on the road... I was on the Klamath River Highway on December 31, 2005 - and there was a flood... and the Horse Creek Community Church took me in along with a handful of other travelers who were on that section of the road at the time. We couldn't go much past Hamburg because the road was flooded at Rocky Point, and the road in the other direction, toward Yreka, was blocked by floodwaters as well. I stayed two nights at the church in Horse Creek, and that was before I was a Christian.

travelaround said:
If we don't want to engage in controversy in this thread, what is it to be used for? Exchanging notes on churches we visited while on the road? Or daily Bible verses? Or... praise reports? I'm such a bookish person I'd probably start writing about Christian books I've read.

Yes, this is exactly what this thread should be about - your experiences.  Religion is one of those subjects that can cause controversy. Individual beliefs vary greatly but the discussions must always be kept civil and kind.

Keep in mind the intent of the original poster:

Jack said:
Do you ever attend services at a local church in the area you happen to be in?  Personally, this is something I'm really excited to do each week!  Sitting at home for 15+ years as a hermit, listening to sermons on YouTube from pastors around the country (as well as the world) has me very eager to visit the churches I've been "attending" online for years!  And to fellowship with like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ will be outstanding!

This is another huge aspect of van life that I crave and look forward to big time - seeking to know God more intimately.  Sure, I could (and do) do that now, but it's harder with so many demands on your time and attention; in all the noise of life.  What a blessing to be able to get away from most of that to just be with Him and grow in Him!

I'd love to hear about your experiences!

1. Hi. I saw your thread. Are you still active on it? I'm just wondering if you know of any Christian van dwellers communities? I don't know if I'll need to live out of my van, so I am researching places I could park it without getting the windows knocked on at night. God bless you. I hope all is well with you. 

Sandy this thread is almost 3 years old and the OP(Original Poster) hasn't been on the forum almost as long.

May I suggest you head to the "Newcomers corner" and give us an intro.

Highdesertranger

I just deleted a series of posts. If religion isn't your thing why come here and talk smack on people who follow a religion.

Highdesertranger

Edit: ha! Mod got here just as I was posting! Timing! I’m sure this will be closed down and rightfully so. But since I’m fascinated by religion and spirituality (participation more than reading about it) I’ll throw in that while some people I know go to museums I go more often to local places of worship and schools out of interest. I’ve been treated with much kindness and respect and even interest. It’s a good way to meet locals which is one reason I travel. I’m also fascinated by how people live in other places because I grew up at the very edge of the continent with no escape until I turned 17. I’ve never heard of any specific Christian nomadic community but then nomads are nomads. Maybe post on the forums for a meetup. Best of luck.

eDJ_ said:
It's good to see some others here have done this.  I was seeing the rare (hopefully) occasion where any of us would be near our end for whatever reason.  Having the comfort of a minister at that time could be of the greatest importance.

It's something the Greater Nomadic Community should understand and support....
I was baptized by the side of the road in a rainstorm. I do agree that nomads need access to the sacraments, and those who have the calling are welcome to serve the rest.
-crofter

Sandy said:
  1. Hi. I saw your thread. Are you still active on it? I'm just wondering if you know of any Christian van dwellers communities?
Sandy, I'm still here but haven't posted much lately. I do know of Christian RV communities providing opportunities for service (charity work) or helping at RV parks - but what I found was only for married couples! So, since I'm single, I gave up that idea.

I decided I'd like to travel on my own to visit and help out at different Christian charities I know of. I'm still hoping to do that.

I've been sidetracked for the last year, but am having my van conversion done this coming week and hope then to start traveling again. I bought property where I am now, which then went through a forest fire last September. An old mobile home on the property burned.. plus the shed and carport. I'm hoping to leave my daughter and her husband living there (in a travel trailer - their home burned too) to caretake it (ie: gardening, since that's all that's left). It will be my homebase for springtime since that's the best time of year here, and it is when things will be growing and needing more cultivation attention.

Anyhow, it is a plan. I would be happy to caravan at times with other Christian vandwellers, or any vandwellers, Christian or not.