For Christian Van Dwellers...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Do you ever attend services at a local church in the area you happen to be in?  Personally, this is something I'm really excited to do each week!  Sitting at home for 15+ years as a hermit, listening to sermons on YouTube from pastors around the country (as well as the world) has me very eager to visit the churches I've been "attending" online for years!  And to fellowship with like-minded brothers and sisters in Christ will be outstanding!

This is another huge aspect of van life that I crave and look forward to big time - seeking to know God more intimately.  Sure, I could (and do) do that now, but it's harder with so many demands on your time and attention; in all the noise of life.  What a blessing to be able to get away from most of that to just be with Him and grow in Him!

I'd love to hear about your experiences!

Church....A hospital for sinners.

I've been attending church almost every Sunday for over 65-years. If I'm on the road I'ill find one where ever I am. If I'm sick, I'll stay home and not spread my germs to other people.

We all have a top priority in life and we are free to choose, but I think going to church simply makes me a better person. No telling how I would wind up if i did not attend.

Thanks John.  Mods can delete this thread then if they choose to.  Sincere apologies.  I'll be more careful in future.  Leave it to me to miss a recent thread.  (I assure you, I am using the Search tool!)

MODS:  I CHANGED MY MIND!  I'd like this thread to remain open, please.  I checked out the thread John linked to and it's not the same.  It's a mistake for the non-religous to think "everything religion related" can be lumped into one category or thread.  It's a very individual, and deeply held belief system that is the very core of our beliefs, thought process and lifestyle.  Contrary to the usual non-religious person's beliefs - not all religions are the same.

I titled this thread requesting responses from like-minded individuals.  I'm not looking for an all-things-religion thread but specifically those who consider themselves Christians.  It's no different than saying a cat thread in the pet forum should be closed, or lumped together with a dog thread because, after all, they're all pets.  They're different.  Separate.  People feel differently about them.  There are things about cats that don't exist with dogs and vice versa.

I'm not trying to argue or be belligerent. :)  I simply wanted to start a specific thread for like-minded folks.  Those interested in the topic will reply and those who aren't won't.  If the thread dies an inactive death, that's fine.  I'll learn that I won't find this avenue of support on this forum and can look for it elsewhere while enjoying the rest of the forum!  :heart:

I'm also a Christian and have been traveling for 5 years and I try to explore new places so I have to do research about what's nearby each time.

I usually use Google maps and see if there are any churches within a reasonable distance. I'm currently camped near Skykomish WA and I found a church nearby I'll be attending tomorrow.

Bobflhtc:  What's been your experience doing this for the last five years?  Any stories to tell of the people you met at these churches?

I was just pointing it out, not suggesting this one isn't a valuable addition.

John61CT said:
I was just pointing it out, not suggesting this one isn't a valuable addition.

Forgive me, John.  I'm all about consolidating similar threads (I know that wasn't what you were implying) but, when I went to the other thread and found it to be different from what I was looking for, I had a knee jerk reaction.  No excuses, just the reason.  

As a Christian, I've not had the best experiences on other forums in the religion discussions.  Non-believers do like to mock and devalue our faith.  I can handle that.  I'm not thin-skinned.  But I was always surprised by the mods, who were clearly non-believers, always siding with, and penalizing Christians.  So again, I responded here in a knee jerk reaction, which wasn't fair to you.  I'm sincerely sorry.  The lesson I got from this was to slow down before posting; especially if I feel challenged.   :blush:

The default does need to be keeping things civil, recognizing the majority are not-your-sect, may also be jewish / muslims / hindu etc

Respect and tolerance for all paths to whatever one's HP is, including proselytizing atheists is key in a secular forum.

While I don't currently attend church, that does sound appealing, at least occasionally. I've always felt that I could talk to God anywhere, but I don't talk ABOUT religion (or politics) in "public." Let me know how it works out for you when you travel! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all your questions (and answers to them of course!) over the last few days. You've asked some great questions that I haven't even thought of yet!

Orange County is where Robert Schuller had his drive-in church that turned into the crystal cathederal.  Maybe your church could start a van ministry.

Jack said:
Forgive me, John.  I'm all about consolidating similar threads (I know that wasn't what you were implying) but, when I went to the other thread and found it to be different from what I was looking for, I had a knee jerk reaction.  No excuses, just the reason.  

As a Christian, I've not had the best experiences on other forums in the religion discussions.  Non-believers do like to mock and devalue our faith.  I can handle that.  I'm not thin-skinned.  But I was always surprised by the mods, who were clearly non-believers, always siding with, and penalizing Christians.  So again, I responded here in a knee jerk reaction, which wasn't fair to you.  I'm sincerely sorry.  The lesson I got from this was to slow down before posting; especially if I feel challenged.   :blush:

And this is precisely why I want to get away from everyone and go off grid! I love this forum it has taught me a lot and I'm still learning. If you want to know what persecution is try being raised by poor Jewish parents and getting beat up in school everyday because of who you are and not what you are. I faced bigotry at my work and my boss said stuff directly to my face and I had no recourse because I needed the job at the time. My religion since I turned 16 is being nice to people and helping someone if they are in need. I don't mean to be disrespectful but the persecution card drives me nuts. When you can't pray in the house you worship then that's persecution. I don't judge anyone because I haven't walked in their shoes.

I think it is difficult to bring up a topic like, "What experiences did you have on the road going to church." All of us would agree that if a poster says, "I found a nice church and there were 50 people there" it is a statement of fact. 

A believer, however, might be tempted to go on and say, "Jesus told me when I was there that he is pleased I am living in my van." To the believer this is a statement of fact. To those of us who do not believe it is nonsense and worse propaganda. 

With the discrimination card already having been played, this will be difficult. Just my opinion.

John61CT said:
Can we park overnight there, if just a couple weeknights per week?

Not at our location.....but, if you google , 28698 Camino Capistrano  San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675 ,on the side of the street closest to the Amtrak/Lightrail tracks I've seen several RV's parked often.   AYOR

I notice that this forum, which states "no religion and no politics" now has two forums
"changing church attendance locations on the road" and
this one "For Christian Van Dwellers"

Here's an idea, if a Christian is camping where other Christians may be found, try a Sunday Study.  The Bible has no religion, and can be studied endlessly. Maranatha.

Latest posts