FOR ANYONE DEPRESSED OR FEELING DOWN

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putts said:
Hey Gideon, if you like Parov Stellar, you might enjoy: Gotan Project (darker); Club des Balugas (more up-beat); Gipsey.cz (funkier balkan hip-hop); Banjofodo (Tango electronica); and KAL (Romainian SKA/trance/grunge).  Yeah, I think music can send you to new and lovely places in your being and draw you out of a funk.

Will check out today :)

XFILE36 said:
I will check out Baduism too.  When I get on the road, my internet addiction will be replaced with music, nature, and peace and quiet.

How are you doing now that you are a temporary nomad?   :)thanks

Let me know what you think of Baduism. Entirely different music but I can relax to it with ease.

Can't do much until I sell off a few things but I'm making plan for some tweaks to the van. Which is always a big thing. You can build to your hearts content but once you are actually staying in the van you will find 100 little things to tweak or change. Doesn't matter if you've been doing this for 50 years with a new van build annually, haha.

At least that keeps one busy. Since this all began (again) for me I've tried to avoid idle hands. I know how I get otherwise.

If I'm depressed or feeling down, music is my answer. I can pick the music to suit the mood I want to be in.
I have never much cared for listening to motivation speeches, so don't listen to them.
I'll take a good tune through a good set of headphones any day.

Just a reminder that BOREDOM is different than DEPRESSION............just saying.

I don't think I've been bored very much in my life. Maybe in classes in school, but this thread isn't about boredom, it's about depression.

OK, I gotta post a few Bob Marley songs/Youtube videos since you all asked...in my car is where I can listen to them without pissing off the neighbors...always a cure for mean neighbors and down times...I LOVE most music.

"Three Little Birds" Bob Marley

"Lively up Yourself" (song)/Bob Marley You better crank it too!

"Exodus" Bob Marley I am exodising from this hell-hole, LOL

Dance your cares away....

P.S. I hope I chose the right vids. I have the extended version cd's...enjoy

Can you post your songs here so we can all hear them?

And for those who need some nighttime music...
Grace Jones "Night Clubbing" Album:

1. Walking In The Rain - 0:00 2. Pull Up To The Bumper - 4:19 3. Use Me - 9:01 4. Nightclubbing - 14:07 5. Art Groupie - 19:14 6. I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango) - 21:54 7. Feel Up - 26:25 8. Demolition Man - 30:28 9. I've Done It Again - 34:33

And the Grace Jones Album "Warm LEATHERETTE" "Bullshit" is my fav :)

00:00 Warm Leatherette
05:38 Private Life
11:58 A Rolling Stone
15:30 Love is the Drug
24:12 The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game
30:58 Bullshit
36:15 Breakdown
41:45 Pars

Ken in Anaheim said:
Just a reminder that BOREDOM is different than DEPRESSION............just saying.
And situational depression is different than the clinical variety.

That is correct Gideon. thanks for the reminder of music. listening now and walking to the store before I call the dealer...

Gideon33w said:
For me, Parov Stelar always cheers me up. Youtube some songs. I suggest: Catgroove, Booty Swing, Chambermaid Swing, Phantom, and Libella Swing. Can't not bring a smile to your face.

Hey, thanks for introducing me to Parov Stelar. I like it very much.  I find that Caravan Palace is very similar.

If you like brass and house, check out Lucky Chops and Too Many Zooz.

For anyone, if you're a Veteran, check my signature.

I'm probably the only one here who doesn't enjoy music.  Never have.  I had a car for 6 months before I turned the radio on...and that was to see if there was traffic in a big city.  I'll put it on to keep awake if I'm driving at night but tune it in to a ballgame (any) or talk radio (if no ballgame).

If I feel depressed or down, I have a go-to video that I watch.  It's corny and it's old.  It's called _What about Bob?_.  I think I know all the script too.  I've seen it so many times.  It is hilarious.  I still laugh.  My daughter switched the DVD on the French version one time, and it was even funnier.  And we don't speak French!

I guess there's something really gripping (in all the humor) about seeing someone who is lowly and fearful being more of a human being that someone high and mighty and "together."  Bill Murray is a hoot in it too.  Highly recommended.  Someone told me that Richard Dryfuss got so into the character of this movie that he can't stand Bill Murray to this day.  LOL  I don't know if that's true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Both are very good actors.

So if you want to be in a good mood, rent, borrow, buy _What about Bob?_ and you won't be disappointed.  It will lift your spirits.

One of my all-time favorite movies. Have seen it so many times, and I still laugh until I cry. Love Richard Drefuss playing the stuffy doc, and Bill Murray absolutely nailed his role as the "nut." Great reminder of one to add to my collection when I get ready to travel. Thanks!

mert6706 said:
One of my all-time favorite movies. Have seen it so many times, and I still laugh until I cry. Love Richard Drefuss playing the stuffy doc, and Bill Murray absolutely nailed his role as the "nut." Great reminder of one to add to my collection when I get ready to travel. Thanks!

yes, love this one too...another one I can watch over and over is Mixed Nuts with Steve Martin. Give it look. "In every pothole there is hope" :)

I still have one last child at home (but not for long) and we all used parts of the movie _What about Bob?_ as what they call "literary reference."  If someone was down, we'd say they needed "death therapy," and when it's time to take things slowly, "baby steps."  Or if I happen to hammer my thumb and I say, $ # @ & * then my kid would say, "She never says that."  Oh, and when one of us did something that was difficult, "I'm Sailing"  "I'm Sailing."  And the pseudo-turrets words were often repeated.  It's part of the fabric of our family.  We never tire of the movie.  And if you have it, make sure you try it in French.  The voice actors will kill you.  LOL

Oh and for vintage Jeep Wagoneer lovers, there is a nice one in the movie.  That was a cool SUV.

I would defy anyone who can watch this movie and stay in a depressed or down mood.  It's miraculous.  Oh and also my adult kids have their own copies.  I saw it in the Walmart $5 bin recently too.  Next time you're in there at the discount bin, you might be able to get a copy.

mert6706 said:
and what about "I don't get angry?" (He said smugly.)

Oh yes, but with my short fuse, I could never get those words out.  LOL

Here's one we say when we are camping, "You need a vacation."   And I answer in frustration. "We're ON vacation."  Or if things aren't going great, "I need a vacation FROM MY PROBLEMS!"  (in a Bill Murray tone).  OH and the eating noises at the table with the scrumptious hand shucked sweet corn and making over the food.   My (now adult) kids do that too.   "This is sooooo scrumptious"

Dang, it'll make you laugh just to think of it.

John61CT said:
Double feature, with "Analyse This"

I never saw that before.  Just looked up the synopsis and it sounds great.  I must find it.