For all those looking for ways to make money

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK:

(C): Those who can't afford to get their RV repaired, but can afford to store it for $150/month in the hope that some day they'll year about an RV tech that works for $50/hour. That somewhat changes the lot of the RV tech who, now that he is burdened with $150,000 tech school debt has resorted to cutting his labor charges in half in hopes of getting at least some business in hopes he/she can afford to keep his mobile (had to give up the lease on the shop) RV repair business going...so he doesn't have to join the rest of his would-be clients under a bridge in LA or Seattle.

RoadStar66 said:
There are two types of RV owners:

(A) Those who buy new and keep the RV for the duration of their extended warantee, during which time nothing major usually goes bad. Soon as indications of problems looming appear, they sell.

or 

(B) Those who buy used because they can't afford to buy new. Since they're low income, when something major goes wrong, they can't afford to pay $100/hour labor to fix it. They end up under a bridge in Seattle or LA in an RV that can't pass a smog test and only limps along at 30 MPH max.

That don't leave much work for the RV tech.

that is a pretty bogus asertation. there are tons of used rv's out there and things break or wear out on them all the time. not just big items that you cant afford to fix. i met a guy at the RTR this year that had bought a used Prevost luxury bus. no warranty but i found similar rigs on line for around $200,000. are you trying to say he wont pay to have repairs done and will end up living under a bridge? even on new RV's under warranty. there are lots of things that may need repair that are not covered under the warranty, like regular wear items, tires, brakes, shocks. then there is the stuff they break, or upgrades and custom work like stepping up from a manual awning to a power awning.

i know if i had an RV and i could get a qualified tech to come to me, maybe even inmy camp and not have to drive to town and leave my rig with them while i rent a motel. i would be thrilled to death

Isn’t the need for weed trimmers on the rise in Colorado and Oregon?

that ship has sailed, trimmigrant work has really tapered off here in oregon. there is still some but not like it used to be just a few years ago

There is lots of work for a RV solar installer out there. They will earn just as much money as a general knowledge RV repair person but it will not require as much time to learn as you are not dealing with as many different types of systems. It is more pleasant work than some of the generalized RV tasks such as fixing black tank issues.

We could certainly use several of them in the Pacific NW . Of course not a lot of solar in the winter but it is a nice place to be in the summer so a lot of RVs come up north for the season.

I bought used and I’m probably not what you consider low income. I can afford to fix things but we do most of the work ourselves. I don’t know where you are getting your info from but there are a ton of used RVs out there in the 300,000 to 500,000 range. Maybe the people buying might have a lower income than the people who bought them new but, to me anyway, I think that if you can afford to plunk down that much on an RV your income might not be considered “low” unless you are a multimillionaire. Maybe you are?

I’m hunting for a different RV now and I’m going to buy used again.

It is hard to find someone to do inspections of RV's when buying a used one. I know in Tucson last year when we bought one most all of the mobile RV mechanics were booked up with work over the winter and were charging extra for emergency repairs.

$150,000 for tech school? Didn't know the Ivy League offered that kind of curriculum.

Just rustle up a job with some RV dealer, even if it's just as a gofer. OJT, and a few comm college classes is all you need.