food storage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh2112

Reaction score
what does everyone do about food storage, the kind of things that would interest bears, like open packs of lunch meat, eggs, cheese, etc?

would it be a good idea to have a study metal box with chain and padlock you can lock to a tree, to keep your cooler and open foods in?

Most hunters will run it up a tree.

This is my personal opinion, and has worked for me, but I can't guarantee it's total accuracy... I believe that most ice chests will keep all odors in, and the bears go after them more because they know what they're looking for than the smell. If I'm in bear country, I simply keep my cooler hidden under a moving blanket in my van.

I have had bears come up and look in my van, and even a couple who attempted to open the doors. None of them were interested enough to break a window.

When I'm in bear country, I also keep all of my windows closed tightly while I sleep, so that I don' smell like a meal either.

It depends.  It depends on (where you are) how smart & people-wise the bears are. 

- Generally, bears are NOT a problem.  At all.   
- But, in a popular national park the bears are brilliant.  You have to stay away from them, rather than them running away from you.  
- Also, these smarter bears know what an ice chest LOOKS LIKE if they see it, and see it as an ice chest, they TARGET it. So for goodness sake throw a blanket over it -- it doesnt matter if is is empty or not -- hide it somehow  And dont get between them and the ice chest either.  
- Also, is a simple matter for them to rip open several types of car doors, locked or not.  (those doors without a frame around the window, they don't even have to grunt to open them) 
- I have been nose to nose with a bear a couple of times and they have always ran from me. But I also make sure there is no food, or food juices, about, at all.  

YMMV (your mileage may vary) !!!!!!!  

Amen I have had my door bent in half. I bought an overpriced Yeti because of the bear proof cert. but the bears don't know that, they just see a cooler and WILL go for it padlocked or not.

Yogi really is smarter than the average bear. Used to be able to hang your stuff off a tree limb but they can reason like no other

some bears have even learned how to open the bear proof food containers and your vehicle is no guaranty for being proof. highdesertranger

Do those of you who have more knowledge know if cleaning up with vinegar or something would make the rolling tin can seem less like a diner?

The odds of having a bad encounter with a bear are very, very low. If you keep a clean camp and follow the rules you're extremely unlikely to have a problem.

Lot's of worry about virtually nothing.
Bob

akrvbob said:
The odds of having a bad encounter with a bear are very, very low. If you keep a clean camp and follow the rules you're extremely unlikely to have a problem.

Lot's of worry about virtually nothing.
Bob

Yes! Keep a clean camp and follow the rules...there are problem beats out there but they are rare.