Food for thought--what would you do?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anewbiewannabe

Reaction score
Yesterday I was a passenger in a taxi that was driven by an ex LEO on the long way home. We saw the initial stage of what would become an accident-a car driving down the exit ramp going the wrong way into oncoming traffic as we were passing the ramp-and he called 911 to report it. We watched in the rear view knowing the outcome wouldn't be good. (Did you think the same thing as you read my second sentence?) The car managed to continue going for as long as it was visible-with it and other cars swerving to avoid collisions. In the end the driver made it about half a mile before the fatal accident. My driver had to drop off another passenger and we had to drive back to that exit to head toward my home; so after seeing no traffic coming from that direction though it was still rush hour, we saw the flashing lights down the highway and knew the outcome was at least as bad as we thought.

So, we talked a bit about it. Like if someone were on the ramp and saw the little old person driving down the wrong way might one try to block him. The taxi driver saw that it was a little old person with his face up close to the steering wheel as we were going by. The officer mentioned the likelihood of being sued, but better sued than someone dead imo. Once he was on the highway trying to block him with a car would have possibly caused a worse accident, but those seconds on the ramp?

So anyhow, I was always the one people would come find to take impaired drivers' keys away when I was young and social. I guess I could deal with losing a friend because I did the right thing better than they could. I've lost a few friends along the way by doing the right thing. It's much better to me than them losing, or causing others to lose, their lives.

There are no details yet about the man's life and health to know if he had shown signs that someone should have removed his driving privileges. The only information is that he was 77yo. I don't ever want to see them remove driving privileges based on an arbitrary number but I think there needs to be some kind of system to check our drivers. Many of those closest to any kind of situation are either too close to see or too close to want to practice tough love sooner rather than later.

When I tried to find the accident online I was surprised at how many wrong way crashes came up before I found the right combination of terms. I looked at the ramp in street view online and know that the signage wasn't very good and better signage/signage placement might have saved two lives if the driver was of reasonable ability. There was no "no left turn" sign and the first "wrong way" sign was located to the left of the right turn lane of the ramp where someone going the wrong way could miss it if traffic was parked on the ramp at the light. It wasn't one of the interchanges with the on and off ramps next to each other.

So......

Would you ground yourself if you knew you shouldn't be driving anymore or for a time because you were on a new medication or something? Would you do whatever it took to make sure someone you knew was either a safe driver or grounded because it was no longer safe for them to drive?

I hope I would. Unfortunately, a new med, dementia or over imbibing can inhibits ones sense of reason. It just may not happen.

Cyndi, that's for sure. It's a lot harder to know when one is basically on one's own. I was fortunate to try ambien when I had a full house so I learned quickly I was "functioning" while I slept without recall and stopped it immediately.

My grandmother had her ladies to take her around town but for trips I became her driver. I became my father's driver for a while as well. I get concerned about being put on medications now because I'm on my own in the boonies. I'm doing my best with lifestyle changes to counteract blood pressure and cholesterol changes that have occurred with menopause since I don't have anyone to take away my keys or reality check me if needed.

What I really need is to get out of here and get on my way. I keep working toward it but it's a long road to getting on the road.

Soon my elderly mother (88) will lose her driving priveledges. She doesn't have the where-with-all to "decide" not to drive anymore (she's selfish and not very aware). Someone will have to make that decision for her. Last 6 months I've noticed a mental and physical change as to make me worry about her behind the wheel. Plus it is irresponsible.

My 89 year old mother finally gave up her keys not because of physical abilities but because she was afraid of not being able to handle the stress of having an accident. At 65 I don't like driving at night and know my reaction times have slowed. I have began to consider wide side walks and bicycle paths when I travel to towns I might end up in when I no longer drive, you know communities that allow golf carts and scooters on the margins of public roads. Hopefully I won't have to feel like I have lost all my freedom like my mom has.

I've already told my Girls that when they see that fateful day to take my keys.

I will probably be pissed and angry but deep down I will know their actions are correct.

Easily said now, let's see how I feel when it actually happens!!

Dave

A few years ago my father in law was declining.  The neuropathy made it so he couldn't feel his feet so he needed a cane to walk or stand still.  Braking was horrifying for passengers who knew what was happening.  Dementia made it so that he could go to the post office and come back with a hair cut.

Florida DMV has a thing where you can report someone and they make the person get testing.  The first step is reporting to the DMV office for an interview, bring all your meds.  He just didn't go.  They suspended his license and required a vision check by an ophamologist.  He failed the first, went to another and passed.

I disconnected battery cables on both their cars.  That worked until one of his dear friends reminded him that he had AAA.  He should call them, they'll start the car.  When the AAA guy came there was begging and pleading not to reconnect the battery but he insisted he must do what the customer wants.  

Then the AC blower became connected to an always on supply.  It seems the battery was always going dead even the new one too.  

Just taking away keys wouldn't work.  It seems that for years every time he lost the keys he had more made.  They were in many locations around the house.

Now I know that if the cables just fall off my battery I have a problem.  It's not bad cables but a friend or relative who cares.  By then I probably won't remember that.

Latest posts