Folks that own a small piece of land and camp on it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figure in the price for water in Arizona. Drilling is not cheap and neither is septic. Drill or haul. How far are you willing to go to haul it. With no restrictions, I would think it means just that. Dig a hole and put a thatched roof on it if you want or camp. I doubt that you are going to get mail delivery to your lot, it will be a P.O. box where you will have to go and get mail.

There are reasons the land is cheap. I went and looked once over in the east part of AZ down near hwy 191. Three mile trip one way to a well for water along a not very well maintained road (at least when I went a few years ago). I stopped looking at that point and didn't look into drilling (a couple of hundred feet through rock at least) or septic/pumping/hauling sh**.

I'm not worried about hauling water. I do that now. Although the stores are nearby. If you only have a PO box though how would you be able to claim residency in AZ? It seems to me that would be an issue to get a driver's license.

Unrestricted does usually mean you can do what you want with it as far as putting a mobile home or RV on it but I'm curious as to whether or not I'd need to worry about code enforcement.

I've also thought about land in southern alabama but it's a bit higher than AZ. I could look again for a place with a creek and that would solve my water issues while keeping me closer to my family.

You have to be careful about using creek water too. Some states "own" the creeks. My friends neighbor in Idaho can be fined big time if they caught him pumping water out of the creek to water his yard with (I asked the question) or any other use. Not even a water wheel to run a small generator.

How does anybody in the country get an address to use? Used to be RR (rural route) boxes. Maybe the county assigns a street address but good luck getting mail delivered there unless you have quite a few neighbors.

These are not really questions that can be answered here. You need to open a dialog with the county (not the realtor).

in Arizona it's up to each county as to what you can and can not do. highdesertranger

Well that's good to know. I'll have to check into the counties the property is listed. I have only ever owned one piece of land that I inherited when I was 15. I remember it was quite a lot of headache just getting a mobile home put on it when I was 19.

"in Arizona it's up to each county as to what you can and can not do. highdesertranger"

That could change at any time.  And you may or may not be grandfathered in.

Hmm. Maybe I'll start lookin in 'bama then. They ain't too picky. And I'd be closer to family in fl and ga.

Good thing my daddy ain't alive to read this. He always said he wouldnt shoot a snake crawling out of Alabama. XD

Down here in Australia, Lots of RV owners just simply camp whenever on their own land year round or kinda use it as a base. (me included)
Most authorities here can't be bothered enforcing rules due to them being understaffed, the paperwork isn't usually worth their time in most cases.

Sofisintown said:
Sorry folks, I put the wrong link in my previous post about where to find cheap land.
Here is the site:
https://www.landwatch.com/

More suggestions....  only buy a lot with a full street address (example: 105 Day Street, City State Zip). If it says Day street do not buy it.  

eBay is another great source for real cheap lots (in certain states).

I just did a quick scan of a couple of rural areas in that link that Sofi posted. I chose these areas because I know what land is going for there. the land in that link is way overpriced.

you need to go to the area and get to know the people there and ask them if they know anybody selling land. also watch out for the Haney land company and Mr. Haney. LOL

highdesertranger

Land Watch is realtors listing land for sale.

There's a big difference in the asking price and the selling price.

Not many pay the listing price.... well maybe a few do.

I've seen some deals there too.

highdesertranger said:
also watch out for the Haney land company and Mr. Haney.  LOL

highdesertranger

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Mr. Haney. I laughed hard at this one. There are lots of Mr. Haneys in this world. Sell you a tractor and come by the next day and just so happen to have replacement parts on the truck for the part that broke on your tractor the day before. I LOLed hard when I read this.

if you remember he is the one that sold Mr. Douglass the farm. that whole show cracked me up as I was working in agriculture at the time. highdesertranger

If a tiny house is not acceptable on a piece of desirable land then look into getting a "park model". They are built in factories like a mobile home but they are much smaller in size. That also means less expensive to get moved to a lot. But they are not designed for off grid however such things can be done. The reason I am suggesting them is that they do qualify for putting onto land where a mobile home is allowed but a tiny home is not. However you do need to make sure that they are a match for zoning code minimum square footage for a dwelling. That square footage code can put a full stop on really tiny living spaces.

Unless you are building your own tiny house they might also be more affordable that what many tiny house builders are asking.

Of course it would just be a "home base" for your RV lifestyle. In fact you could rent out the Park Model and also have a screened carport structure with hookups that you use. Get the right renters and your basic expenses will be covered plus you will have a built in security staff looking after the place.

Not quite open land, but I was checking Quartzsite just for information. They have some smallish lots and a bunch of trailers for sale, not too dear. A somewhat interesting place in Q is Rainbow Acres, 33.615349, -114.260012. They have lots, and many of them have trailers on them.

https://www.zillow.com/quartzsite-az/

highdesertranger said:
if you remember he is the one that sold Mr. Douglass the farm.  that whole show cracked me up as I was working in agriculture at the time.  highdesertranger
Haha yup. A farm house UNFURNISHED. grab that sink zeb. I'm old enough to remember green acres AND petticoat junction.

I'm not the Mr. Douglas type praise jebus. City folk just dont get it.

This ain't my first ROdeo. Haha

"City folk just dont get it."

city folk don't get a lot of things. of course I don't get or understand a lot of city things.

highdesertranger

City smarts <-> Nature smarts; two completely different skill sets.

I used to go to the county courthouse and look up property for sale for the taxes owed on it. Every year they printed a list with the property and the taxes owed on it. I found all kinds of abandoned land. I found lots in an pretty nice older development (+ yearly membership fee), lots in a mostly abandoned rural mobile home park. pasture land etc. I was looking at the time for land to flip, but if a person was looking for land to camp on there was plenty. This was in rural Oklahoma, your state may vary.