Fogged Headlight Easy Fix

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy2

Reaction score
I have a car that the headlights are Fogged -
looked on Youtube and found this fix and it worked GREAT -

Use Repel insect repellent - I got at walmart - 
green bottle - orange top -

Spray a heavy coat on lens -starting at the TOP of headlight -
and spray /coat  lens all the way to the bottom of plastic -

Let soak for 3 to 5 minutes -

U will see fog on lens  start to melt and run down -

using a paper towel wipe the white fog off the bottom of  lens
(use Clean good paper towel -no lent - 
the lens will be sticky for a hour or so 

the Repel insect repellent has alcohol (Ethanol ) in it and it melts 
a thin layer of plastic that has oxidized over time -

Repeat  spraying process  if all the fog was not removed -

cleaned lenses on 5 cars and it has worked on all of them -
Its Amazing how good this works- look close to new -

My car headlights were so fogged before doing this I could not see 
the road at night - kind of just glowed -

I did this 2 months ago and headlights still look good

i looked into this a while back but saw so many mixed reviews and comments on youtube, and all the videos i saw the examples were no where near as badly fogged/yellowed as mine. i decided to pass. paid $30 at walmart to have them buffed out and clear coated. to be fair, i did not see anyone doing the spray it on heavy like you mention.

glad to hear it worked for you. would be really cool to see pictures of yours before and after. the deet is what melts the plastic. what did you do to keep the spray from getting on the paint and other plastic. or from it dripping and running down onto it? did you have problems with it melting the other paint/plastic?

That's great advice- Thanks.  I use WD-40 on my fogged headlights.  It works great, but only lasts a few days, and fogs back up after driving through rain.

i spent about $25 or so at a parts store for a kit you sand the lights with
using diff grit sandpaper and your own drill. they literally looked new when
i finished it! and still look new months later...
jim

Toothpast works well also.  It has grit in it that you sand the top layer off.  Once you finish use car wax to preserve it.

txmnjim said:
i spent about $25 or so at a parts store for a kit you sand the lights with
using diff grit sandpaper and your own drill. they literally looked new when
i finished it! and still look new months later...
jim

not that i like walmart, but i only spent $5 more than that and they did it for me while i shopped. the sanded them down and put a couple coats of epoxy or resin clear coat on it. going on 6months now. best $29 i ever spent at walmart.

Im going to coat/seal lens with Pledge acrylic floor wax -
its Clear -may stop further clouds from happening -
have some wax left that was used to coat cabinets -
will post back results -

whatever you coat the lens with it must block the UV light. it's the UV light that makes the lens appear cloudy. highdesertranger

I have found that these techniques will work only once on cloudy headlamps & they will eventually cloud up again.  Glass headlamps are the way to go.  Rock on!

I like Novus #2 plastic polish, a little on a microfiber cloth combined with some elbow grease and the plastic shines like new. I just this polishing on the rain visors on the front doors of my vehicle. They are 12 years old and very dull and cloudy looking, had never been polished since new. Now they look brand new and shiny. They do have a wax that you can put on which will help shed water and dirt. We used to use this product on the plastic windshield in our Cessna 150.

I sometimes turn small plastic objects on my mini lathe and I use this product as the final, high shine polish.