Foam Panels to finish project...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GNomad

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have installed an inch of polyiso on my walls of the van in 1/2 inch layers. I need to install another 1/2 inch so I can install the wood paneling, but from what Home Depot has told me and based on stock around various stores in my area, the RMAX 1/2" Poly is no longer being produced and I cannot find it in any local stores with 200 miles of my current location. I am left now with a 1/2 gap between the insulation and where the wood paneling would go on the van wall ribs. Should I go ahead and switch to the foam-ball based rigid panels to fill in the extra 1/2 inch or is the R-Value not worthy enough to fill it and just go ahead and tack up the wood paneling with the small air gap. Your thoughts???

PS - I do have and am planning on putting 1 1/2 in Poly on the roof sidewalls and roof of the high top.

Jeff aka 4G Nomad

HD told me the same thing but I found a good selection of rigid foamboard insulation at Lowes. Have you tried there?

I believe RMAX is (or was) just a brand name of polyIso and there are other brands to choose from. It looks like HD still carries EnergyGuard 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.6 PolyIsocyanurate Insulated Sheathing, which is the same thing...about R-7 per inch.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Ener...ocyanurate-Insulated-Sheathing-1S01/204322721

Or check with any of your local building supply yards, I'm sure they will have options for you.

One Awesome Inch said:
HD told me the same thing but I found a good selection of rigid foamboard insulation at Lowes. Have you tried there?

Yeah, I checked with Lowe's. 3/4 is the lowest they go around here.

BradKW said:
I believe RMAX is (or was) just a brand name of polyIso and there are other brands to choose from. It looks like HD still carries EnergyGuard 1/2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-3.6 PolyIsocyanurate Insulated Sheathing, which is the same thing...about R-7 per inch.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Ener...ocyanurate-Insulated-Sheathing-1S01/204322721

Or check with any of your local building supply yards, I'm sure they will have options for you.

Not available in the area. I spend last Saturday calling numerous local building supply yards and their selection was even worse.

BradKW said:
Cork is both a decent insulator and also a sound dampener. This product shows as in stock in the Reno stores....3/8 in. x 2 ft. x 4 ft. Cork Project Panel   http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-8-in-x-2-ft-x-4-ft-Cork-Project-Panel-00075/206290846

I believe the R-value of cork is 3.6/inch...

Actually, I am not in the Reno area at this time. I am over in the wine country in CA. Not really interested in cork due to mold potential as it was wood based.

highdesertranger said:
cork is an excellent insulator.  but it's damn heavy.  highdesertranger

Yes, trying to keep weight to a minimum as well.

I guess I'll go with these foamball panels to fill in the last 1/2-3/4. Plan on making a trip to HD today (Closest one is an hour from where I am at). Thanks for your input and suggestions.