Foam Board Insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I'll cop to hijacking the thread. But it was innocent... I was telling the story about my experience with the woodstove in the bus.

Uh oh, did I just go off on another tangent? :)

I believe this thread is about staying toasty warm. You did not hijack the thread. It's hard to know what will heat that bus at a given temperature. At 20 degrees, a small Mr. Buddy heater kept my semi insulated travel trailer above 32 degree, but not by much. If you are in cold country, and it a big bus with no insulation, you gonna need something substantially stronger than even the big Mr. Buddy, something much more than 16,000btu. If you are not opposed to using the wood stove, a combination of propane and wood is what I wood go for. Run the stove while you are awake, and let it burn out early. Use the propane to keep the temp from going 2 low. You may add more propane heaters latter if the first proves to be too small. If cost effective, 2 heaters can be placed at either end of the bus. This will distribute the heat evenly as possible.

Wood is good, a renewable resource. At the very least the stove can be used as a back up should your choice of heaters prove to be inadequate. It does require practice to use the stove as well as the tools and skills needed to process the wood into the various sizes needed to build up a fire. YouTube has instructional videos on how to build a fire. This is a basic 'must have' skill that can save your life anywhere you might be in the future. If you are unsure about fire, become a Girl Scout!!!

Karin said:
OK I'll cop to hijacking the thread. But it was innocent... I was telling the story about my experience with the woodstove in the bus.

Uh oh, did I just go off on another tangent? :)