Flooding Help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
About a gallon of water spilled inside my Toyota Sienna. The visible mess has been cleaned up, but the area of the front passenger footwell has a VERY soaked carpet.

What can I do to prevent mildew and odors from the flood?? I live in eastern Colorado, so that helps, but anything else I should consider doing??

TIA,
Walter ("Who?") Palmer, BDr, ctR

I've had something similar happen and the 'somewhat easy' way is to remove the trim strip in the door threshold, and partially peel up the carpet, lifting the front edges under the dashboard area, and prop the carpet and foam up with a couple of small pieces of wood. Then place a fan on a milk crate (or other sturdy support) outside the door opening so that it can blow air under and around the footwell carpeting for a couple of hours.

If the carpet is damp under the seat, you might be able to lift the carpet up around the seat mounts, or possibly work it upwards with a smaller piece of wood like a 1x2 furring strip or similar, and create a way for the airflow to reach the damp foam and carpet under the seat.

Good luck!

There are mobile steam cleaning services that can take care of it. Or you could drive to their home base and that might save some money. They have powerful suction machines versus using shop vacs or rental steam cleaners. Plus they have cleaning solutions that will reduce the odors and mildew issues.

Mostly vacuum it out. Run a strong fan to help evaporate the rest. For smell you can sprinkle some baking soda on it once it dries out. Then vacuum that up after a day or so

About a gallon of water spilled inside my Toyota Sienna. The visible mess has been cleaned up, but the area of the front passenger footwell has a VERY soaked carpet.

What can I do to prevent mildew and odors from the flood?? I live in eastern Colorado, so that helps, but anything else I should consider doing??

TIA,
Walter ("Who?") Palmer, BDr, ctR

Get a box of DampRid, used for removing moisture from places like closets. This is probably best used as a finishing method, after using some of the suggestions above.

Don't put it directly on the carpet or seats. Either spread it on a couple of trays, or among empty flat containers (like cat food or tuna cans). Close the windows.

You may have to discard, refill and repeat.

Mostly vacuum it out. Run a strong fan to help evaporate the rest. For smell you can sprinkle some baking soda on it once it dries out. Then vacuum that up after a day or so
It shouldn't need saying, but with doors/windows open to ensure plentiful ventilation...