Flexible Solar Panels on rubber roof

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
I'd like your feedback on putting flexible solar panel on my travel trailer that has a rubber roof.  I'd like to avoid drilling holes in the roof and the added weight on the front of my trailer (trailer is pre-wired for solar but access is up front) associated with hard panels.

I was thinking I could mount flexible solar panels using some type of industrial double sided tape to velcro on roof and other side of the velcro on the panels.  This would allow me to replace the panels if damaged or if output drops with age.

Do you think this set up would tear my rubber roof?
Would the panel stay attached or fly off?
Any suggestions for what brand or type of products for tape or velcro?
Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

My TT has a rubber roof. I already tore it once. I wouldn't put panels on mine. I use a suitcase solar setup from Zamp Solar that is working well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.  Solar panels generate residual heat.  Not good on a direct contact rubber roof mount.

2.  100W rigid panels weigh little.  I have a way of attaching them.  Clean the roof extremely well.  Use 3M VHB tape on the feet.  Over the feet use aluminum flat rod held down with Gorilla glue.  Use Nylock nuts to attach the panels to the feet. 

3.  You will need a new rubber roof before the panels need replacing.

I wouldn't do it. you are relying on the rubber roof as an anchor. it was never designed for that. I have installed rigid panels on a rubber roof before without making a bunch of holes. I will see if I can find the thread. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I wouldn't do it.  you are relying on the rubber roof as an anchor.  it was never designed for that.  I have installed rigid panels on a rubber roof before without making a bunch of holes. I will see if I can find the thread. highdesertranger

I was thinking b/c the flexible panels are so light and flat, there wouldn't be much drag.  Thanks everyone for the feedback and HDR for posting the link.  I'll check it out.