Flexible panels and heat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Reaction score
I was just reading that it is best to have air circulation under solar panels as they work better. Overheating can cause them to not work as well. Is that a problem with installations of flexible panels taped directly to the roof of the van? 

I know nothing about this stuff so pardon if it is a dumb question.

I put 2 - 100W flexible panels on my roof.  I used industrial strength velcro to fasten them down with small air gaps at the sides.  Before putting them down, I used 1" squares of the packing foam taped to the back of the panel before sticking them down.  That gives me about a 1/2" air gap between the panel and the roof.  When at the S&B, I plug in and we don't go where it is hot.  Mine have been on almost a year now.  I don't know about the heat causing problems (yet?).

the hotter a panel gets the less output you have. it's kinda ironic that something that needs sunlight to work, works best when cold. highdesertranger

HDR is correct heat affects output however, I have two Unisol 68 panels(no longer in production) they are flexible and are made to glue on a flat surface. They are glued directly to my roof, they have been on for 6 months and I have not felt that it gets any hotter inside due to heat build up even though I am sure it does to some extent, I park in the shade. I have not charged my battery by any other means, I have not run out of power. My batteries never go below 12.3 . My fridge is not plugged because it is very inefficient, I use ice blocks, a new one is in the cards. I charge my computer, phone, power the tv, vcr, stereo, heater fan, extractor fan, and another fan as well as all my lights. 140 watts so far has been enough for my needs and there has been no issues. Prior to this I had a 40 watt panel that kept everything going, my power needs are small. I did charge the battery every few months with shore power or had to drive for a few hours with the switch on both batteries to get it equalized with the 40 watt panel.