FL SP: 42 days within 6 months

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compassrose

Reaction score
I do not remember if I posted this here but here it is, possibly again. There is often confusion over the length of time you can stay in a state park. I personally have stayed in a state park (not FL) for several months during the winter. We rotated the site under three names (we were not paying for the site, someone else was) and the head park ranger was fully aware. I got this via an email from a FL park ranger a few years back. It is word for word. I imagine that it would also work for other states. Please be aware, this is not the cheapest way to stay somewhere. Monthly rates in a private park is usually much cheaper. When we were living in the state park for months, the w/e site rent was $616 (plus taxes) for 28 days. The private park full hookup  (w/e/s) site was $250 for a full month.

FL State Parks
"A maximum stay is 14 days. This may be repeated up to three times, for a total of 42 days within a 6 month period at any one Florida State Park. One could stay 14 days, but must leave the park campground for a 24 hour period and then return for another two week stay. This can only be done by reserving a site prior to arrival through Reserve America, 1-800-326-3521 or www.ReserveAmerica.com"

Back about 10-15 years ago the state parks fees were more reasonable. The state parks in the northern areas that had reduced demand in the winter had some great monthly rates but that's all gone now. You have to be a Florida resident and 65+ to get a 50% daily discount off already inflated prices.

Winter snowbirds beware there is no state income tax in Florida and the out of state tourists pay for it all and not the actual rich retiree full-time residents.