fishing, what the story?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveh2112

Reaction score
i know absolutely nothing about fishing but figure it would be fun to try. generally what's the rules if any about finishing in boondocking spots? i realize some places will require a permit but is that the exception or the rule?

also, does anyone ever catch anything worth eating?

i'll be in the west, CA to CO

A fishing license is the rule for the most part.

Almost everywhere requires a license unfortunately :( Though there is usually a free fishing day or weekend.

Ive done some fishing here and there but definitely not a pro. Id like to get into it more but i can get costly the more it sucks you in ;) Vantrekker is like a pro, you should check out his blog.

As non resident visitor, you're going to pay a higher price for fishing licenses and each state has their own licensing system.

Also it's important that one follow the mountainous pile of rules for what fish, what time of year, what area within the state, how many and what size, etc, etc. that are all part of the fishing regulations. To do that, you also need to be able to identify the fish you're catching.

Basically what I'm saying is that for tourists on a whirlwind tour of multiple states for 4 months, it's hardly going to be worthwhile to invest in fishing equipment and pay all the license fees. You'll spend more time trying to figure out the rules than you will having your line in the water.

Now that I'm over 65 and can fish in my home province with no license fees, I'll take up fishing again this summer. When I'm travelling in the states the fishing equipment will stay home.

LeeRevell said:
AT, most states have free fishing for Seniors, just check their fish regs online.

Yea, but only for in state residents.

Arizona for example - to get a free license there you have to be 70 and prove residency for 25 years. Most states are a little easier than that though, but none recognize out of state equal to state residence.

Texas - no age relief for non resident.

Heck as a Canadian I can't even get one of those national park passes! I get to pay full price unless the gate attendant gets lenient...haha.

Here are the Tennessee Non Resident fees.

TYPE - DESCRIPTION - COST
070  -  Jr. Hunt/Fish Required for nonresidents age 13-15, fishing and small game only - $9.00
076  -  Annual Fishing - No Trout  -  $41.00
077  -  Three-Day Fishing - No Trout  -  $16.50
078   -  Three-Day Fishing - All Species  -  $33.50
079  - Ten-Day Fishing - No Trout  - $25.50
080 -  Ten-Day Fishing - All Species  -  $50.50
081  -  Annual Fishing - All Species  -  $81.00
082  -  One-Day Fishing - No Trout  -  $8.00
083  -  One-Day Fishing - All Species  -  $16.00

You heard the story about the two guys fishing, when the game warden came up one guy took off running.  The game warden chased him and finally caught him.  The runner produced his fishing licence and the game warden asked him why he ran if he had a licence.  The runner replied, "the my buddy didn't have one". 

VJG1977 said:
Here are the Tennessee Non Resident fees.

TYPE - DESCRIPTION - COST
070  -  Jr. Hunt/Fish Required for nonresidents age 13-15, fishing and small game only - $9.00
076  -  Annual Fishing - No Trout  -  $41.00
077  -  Three-Day Fishing - No Trout  -  $16.50
078   -  Three-Day Fishing - All Species  -  $33.50
079  - Ten-Day Fishing - No Trout  - $25.50
080 -  Ten-Day Fishing - All Species  -  $50.50
081  -  Annual Fishing - All Species  -  $81.00
082  -  One-Day Fishing - No Trout  -  $8.00
083  -  One-Day Fishing - All Species  -  $16.00

You heard the story about the two guys fishing, when the game warden came up one guy took off running.  The game warden chased him and finally caught him.  The runner produced his fishing licence and the game warden asked him why he ran if he had a licence.  The runner replied, "the my buddy didn't have one". 

Yea, for that money I can go find a fish market.... :rolleyes: :D

steveh2112 said:
oh wow, looks like i'll be doing all my fishing in safeway

No, no, no, find a real fish market!

When I'm on vacation I like to experience ALL that a region has to offer and that includes local food.

I travelled with a crew on a vacation that 2 of the guys hated the fries in Louisiana because they had Cajun spice on them. One wouldn't eat seafood in Louisiana because he drove a fish market delivery truck back home in England.They both wanted a regular hamburger and fries in a Cajun restaurant...sigh.  The two of them also refused to try buffalo when we were in Texas. We dropped them at McD's most nights and then went to have a real dinner.. :D

Basically what I'm saying is that for tourists on a whirlwind tour of multiple states for 4 months, it's hardly going to be worthwhile to invest in fishing equipment and pay all the license fees. You'll spend more time trying to figure out the rules than you will having your line in the water.

That about sums it up. 

The licensing fees are horrible and set up to take advantage of nonresidents. Unless you're willing to take a chance getting caught I'd forget about fishing. You could set up a trip line to catch fish just be careful no one is around when you visit it. Taking a dog with you to detect anyone near is a great idea if you own one.

As far as eating them I would check to see if there are any environmental problems with the water. In NH for example you can have this pond where few go and the water clear enough to see the bottom deep below but then see a warning sign saying not to eat the fish.

Get the license!
Game wardens have quite a bit of leeway when it comes to their arrest powers. They are not subject to most of the rules regular cops have.

Most importantly...they can search your vehicle (and you) without probable cause or a warrant.....simply suspicion of having an illegal animal.

That 50 bucks will seem mighty cheap compared to staring at everything that used to be inside your van strewn about the ground just as the rain starts!
sad.gif

http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/20...-have-the-same-powers-as-police-officers.html

(Yes that's a bit of an extreme example....most wardens are great people and will be very polite whether issuing you a citation or just warning you of the consequences.)

Whatever the cost of the license, the ticket for fishing without it will be much greater.

You could try local fish markets for local fare, and make sure it's not imported. Some "catfish" and "mullet" sold here is nothing of the kind.

The license is cheap insurance. Rarely is out of state more than $75 a year. If you have the license Johnny law will usually leVe you be. Won't even know he is there if the license is on your hat. They will check coolers from time to time but mostly just leave you be. Without a license they can have a field day including taking your catch and your stuff (up to and including your boat or truck, if they are annoyed enough with your lack of respect for the fishery). I have never been hassled but I always prominently display my valid lisence

I couldn't afford more than one license.
Many fishermen like to catch fish, but don't like to clean them. I've often wondered if you want fish without fishing, if it would work to go to the boat ramp and ask a couple of fishermen to keep their catch for you.

bigsallysmom said:
Many fishermen like to catch fish, but don't like to clean them. I've often wondered if you want fish without fishing, if it would work to go to the boat ramp and ask a couple of fishermen to keep their catch for you.

As stated earlier you can usually get 1,2,3 day or even 1 week passes to save some dough instead of the yearly expensive pass.
As for getting donations from the boat ramp, most fishermen(and fisherwomen) who are not eating their catch will release the fish immediately after catch. So they are either keeping the fish or will have already released the fish prior to coming back to the ramp.

[ quote='bigsallysmom' pid='127474' dateline='1427511272']
[/quote]
Oops. Misread that, sorry. That could work if you get there early enough and are their when they get back to the ramp. Some can be a little grumpy but most are pretty outgoing.