fishing, what the story?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
illegal possession of a game animal without proper license or tags. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
illegal possession of a game animal without proper license or tags. highdesertranger

Forgot about that! Many states have 'possession' limits rather then bag limits. I forget which state I was in (maybe Utah, can't remember) where the regs stated 'in your possession' and then detailed the possession law to include the fish that was frozen in your freezer. It would be hard for the Leo to prove if you lived in a S&B house where they would need a warrant to check but in a van the game wardon (GDub) has broad authority to board boats and search vehicles at will with no warrant. I sometimes wonder if I could get busted when traveling from state to state with fish in the cooler caught from a different state with valid license and get searched in the new state fishing with a valid license. If GDub was having a bad day he might just make me have a bad day. Or he could be very understanding if I show him the other states license. It would probably be his call and be within his right to write tix and confiscate fish/tackle/whatever else if he so chose. Very grey area.

Margie mentioned the other day that a non-resident fishing license in Oregon is a little over 100 bucks. That does include the Columbia River endorsement.

Too rich for my blood.

Can get oos 1 day for 17. 4 day for 58. You do have options. If only going for a day 17 bucks is the way to go.

But the question is, can you catch $17 worth of fish in a single day? Maybe. Maybe not, as sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't. Let's say you decide to winter over in the state of TX, a great fishing state. A non-resident fishing license that permits both fresh and saltwater fishing is $68/yr. Over say 3 months it's much more likely to catch $68 worth of fish, if one fishes fairly often. Each state's non-resident license costs a little different, but should be a better value if spending time in a state than gambling on a decent catch from a one day permit. If I was only going to be in a state a short time, then instead of buying a one day license, fishing gear and bait then gambling on a good day's catch I would rather just go to a fish market and buy $17 worth of my favorite nice fresh seafood. IMHO.

Chip

sushidog said:
But the question is, can you catch $17 worth of fish in a single day? Maybe. Maybe not, as sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't. Let's say you decide to winter over in the state of TX, a great fishing state. A non-resident fishing license that permits both fresh and saltwater fishing is $68/yr. Over say 3 months it's much more likely to catch $68 worth of fish, if one fishes fairly often. Each state's non-resident license costs a little different, but should be a better value if spending time in a state than gambling on a decent catch from a one day permit. If I was only going to be in a state a short time, then instead of buying a one day license, fishing gear and bait then gambling on a good day's catch I would rather just go to a fish market and buy $17 worth of my favorite nice fresh seafood. IMHO.

Chip

I didn't know that was the point: subsistence fishing. I fish because I enjoy it. I am also good at it. I also have a lifetimes worth of equipment I Have picked up throughout the course of my lifetime. Saltwater fishing is free in nj plus I am a resident so a fresh water license is 25 bucks + trout stamp. When I go put west I look up the state I am going to be in and check out how much the license is and depending on how long I am there I buy accordingly. If the difference between a one week and a year is an extra $50 I don't sweat it even if I am not coming back. That money goes mostly toward the fishery and I want to continue to have a great fishery, even if it is not my state or even a state I will not be back at for several years. That money goes to the trout hatcheries and such and IMO is a good place for my money to go. I can spend $118 (the cost of an Oregon license with Columbia river endorsement, I looked it up) in one night eating at a good restaurant and having a few drinks afterwards so all things being equal I could forgo the fancy restaurant and have 365 days of good fishing in Oregon or a year in Wyoming + 7 days in Utah for the same price. It is all relative. If you are looking for a way to get cheap food to eat by fishing when you don't have the mad skills I have got you are up for a big disappointment. Better off saving your money and buying from the store. Likewise if I was looking to score cheap meat from hunting I would be disappointed because by the time I bought the license and ammo and camo and everything else that costs and factored in all the time wasted hunting (I am a good shot, not a good hunter) it would be cheaper to just buy the meat from the market, put it in the freezer and then go fishing. It's all relative. You buy the license to have fun fishing and maybe get lucky or get good at it eventually. Those skills are learned like anything else. My $.02

So, I ran across this the other day, and thought of it when I read this post. There may be other lakes with conditions like this, and although I don't eat fish, people do eat trout and salmon, right?

Crater Lake, Oregon
http://www.nps.gov/crla/faqs.htm

Are there any fish in the lake? Where can I go fishing?

"Fish are not native to the lake. They were introduced in the lake from 1888-1941. Six species were originally stocked, but only two have survived to today: Rainbow Trout and Kokanee Salmon. >>>Because they are not native to the lake, fishing is not only allowed, it's encouraged. No license is required and there is no limit on how many you may catch - the only rule is that you must use artificial bait. <<<We don't want to accidentally introduce any other species into the lake. Fishing is allowed along the shoreline and on Wizard Island (with the purchase of a boat tour and Wizard Island ticket.)"