First Van Purchase

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

New to the forum as I am just beginning to jump into the van life. I am planning on purchasing a van to live out of for a minimum of one year, working remotely and traveling across the U.S. I'm leaning towards a cargo van to be stealth and have a blank canvas to renovate. My budget is around $3,000-$5,000, although I'm leaning closer to the lower end to have enough money to renovate. 

I have been searching Craigslist for over a month now and have found several options but I always seem to have my doubts. Too many miles, too much rust, too many scratches/dents. Odds are I'm just looking for excuses as this is my first van purchase and I'm very hesitant. 

I have mainly been looking at the Ford E-series. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? Here are a couple options of what I've been looking at:

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/1997-ford-e250/6338840626.html

https://reading.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-ford-e250-work-service/6345970354.html

I've done a ton of research but still can't seem to make a decision. I don't know a lot about vehicles in general, as I'm just beginning to learn, so I would greatly appreciate any advice, recommendations and if my concerns are legit. Happy to provide more details as far as what I'm looking for and my needs. 

Thanks!

Those look good! I agree, cheaper, the better. Easier to push it in the lake and  walk away, so to speak.

00u0u_4BPO3jBYxme_600x450.jpg

No one will suspect a thing, LoL!

Both of those look pretty good, but I did not know they ever made an E-250 with a 6 cylinder...I would not plan on pulling a large trailer with that one!

The interior looks decent on both of them...you should ask the sellers to provide pictures of the underside...several shots around the frame and the body mounts...we expect rust...but how much and how bad is it?

Any van operated in the rust belt is nearly always exposed to some nasty road conditions.

That price range will find you something, eventually. Be willing to consider a window van too, they generally aren’t as beat up as old cargo vans.  Also look at Dodges from the 90’s.
Oh, look at Gideon33’s sticky under the Vans section, “info on common vans” I believe it’s called, that will tell you a few vehicle and brand specific issues.  

One of the reason there’s so many Fords available was just fleet pricing. Apparently Ford was more aggressive than GM, just like some brands sell a lot to rental fleets.  Keeps the production lines working...

Don’t be scared off with the 1996-2007 Ford spark plug issues, IMHO that’s a factual but overstated problem. Every make has their horror stories. As far as the Ford spark plug issue goes, either price in a major tune up or find a van that’s been already done. Remember plugs go up to 100,000 miles so if you get it done you’ll likely not own the vehicle for the second set.  Or ask the owners of the E series vans you see around if they’ve had a problem...

I’d be much more concerned with excessive rust than plugs.

Be willing to look at the Astro/Safari van as well.

Good luck!

tx2sturgis said:
Both of those look pretty good, but I did not know they ever made an E-250 with a 6 cylinder...I would not plan on pulling a large trailer with that one!

The interior looks decent on both of them...you should ask the sellers to provide pictures of the underside...several shots around the frame and the body mounts...we expect rust...but how much and how bad is it?

Any van operated in the rust belt is nearly always exposed to some nasty road conditions.

Great advice! Yeah I'm becoming a bit concerned with the 6 cylinder. I don't think I'm going to have that much weight and don't plan on towing anything but I'm concerned about hills. I'll be spending a fair amount of time in the mountains and am debating how the 6 cylinder would hold up compared to the 8 cylinder.

With a full size van I personally wouldn't go any smaller than an 8 if you plan on anything but city driving in flat areas.

The gas mileage of a 6 out on the highway or in  hills/mountains will actually be lower than an 8 because it's going to be working it's little butt off.

Add the weight of even a modest interior, a full gas tank, water, battery bank and you've got more than the 6 will be happy with.

A lot of fleets that were city based wanted the 6 and they were great for what they were used for, us - not so much!

I'd keep looking - the first one looks like it's been rode hard and put away wet! The drivers seat shows extensive wear and that is NOT a *little* bit of damage to the rear passenger side. The second one has the 6 that I'd be really leery of.

Ok... I hate to defend Fords BUT.... the Ford 300 inline six is stronger than an ox. Has amazing torque and just can't be beat for longevity. It's the only Ford motor I would have (given a choice)

bpdchief said:
Ok... I hate to defend Fords BUT.... the Ford 300 inline six is stronger than an ox. Has amazing torque and just can't be beat for longevity. It's the only Ford motor I would have (given a choice)

I had a 1967 Ford Econoline in 1973, with 3 speed on the column, 260 or maybe it was a 240 motor. Ran great. It had great torque also. Mine was midnight blue with a 12" x 12" decall flag just behind the driver's side. "Chicks" loved it. ;)
CC-210-108-925 (1)-22222.jpg
A big congrats to ya bpdchief.
Borrowed the above pic from https://i2.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/CC-210-108-925.jpg[/SIZE]

Attachments

• CC-210-108-925 (1)-22222.jpg
    CC-210-108-925 (1)-22222.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 3