First trip to Quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa Time

Reaction score
I bought a teardrop trailer and plan to make my first trip to Quartzite this year.  I plan to add 2 golf cart batteries and add a box to contain them along with the propane tank on the tongue.  I'll likely keep an eye out for an inverter also.  Should I make the changes before I arrive, or seek the advice and support vendors there?  Can I buy the batteries and temporarily use jumper cables until I mount them permanently?  I plan to be there more than a week.  Would this be a good project to piddle with, or will I be missing out on too much? 

Any Thoughts?

Joe

You need to get a 100% duty cycle charging circuit relay installed on any vehicle to attach an external battery to charge. You can't charge the battery with jumper cables as it would take hours. There are a series of discussion postings or YouTube links to how this is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batteries are available as well as well made custom length 4-6 aww cables to do a hard mount (recommended) The vendors are helpful . You got to remember this is money time for them.

Welcome Joe to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. you could wait until you get there for the battery set up. how are you planning to charge the batteries? highdesertranger

Goshawk said:
You need to get a 100% duty cycle charging circuit relay installed on any vehicle to attach an external battery to charge. You can't charge the battery with jumper cables as it would take hours. There are a series of discussion postings or YouTube links to how this is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, you are right on!  I hooked up to the trailer and discovered that my TV is not charging my trailer battery.

There is a lot about solar on this site. I have a renogy suitcase 100 watt. That has been a workhorse for me for two and a half years. It may work well for your small rig.

Welcome to the forum Joe.

In my truck there was a relay that has to be plugged in to get a charge from the 7 pin. Even then it doesn't do much for the trailers battery due to distance and wire size. I haven't needed it since switching to solar years ago.

Welcome aboard TulsaTime!
As you are seeing , there is an unlimited amount of answers here.......

dragonflyinthesky said:
There is a lot about solar on this site. I have a renogy suitcase 100 watt. That has been a workhorse for me for two and a half years. It may work well for your small rig.

Yes, I too have the same enough panels.  My refrigerator is a 1.6 cubic foot Norcold ac/dc unit.  I'm not sure how many amps it requires, but other than that the electricity is only used for lights, fans, water pump and occasionally tv/radio.  I can borrow a 2000 watt generator, but I really don't want to be dependent upon it.

Joe  Tulsa Time

jimindenver said:
Welcome to the forum Joe.

In my truck there was a relay that has to be plugged in to get a charge from the 7 pin. Even then it doesn't do much for the trailers battery due to distance and wire size. I haven't needed it since switching to solar years ago.

I'm looking into that option.  It would be nice to at least maintain the battery charge on the road.  I also have the Renogy Solar Suitcase, but I'm not sure 100 watts is enough knowing that the refrigerator draws 3.6 Amps by itself and the Renogy Max Operating amps 5.7.  I'm considering two 6 volt batteries to minimize the use of a generator to maybe once every several days.