First solar install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look into SanTan Solar.

Just Google it and fall in deep panel lust.
I'm intrigued, perhaps I should buy myself a drink first? Little foreplay before I get all excited when I see this thing? 😂😉

Definitely will check it out, thank you

SanTan Solar is the premier used solar panel seller. They sell the used panels from solar fields that are panels replaced for tax purposes. Their panels have 20+ years of use left on them. The last ones I bought cost me 20 cents a watt. $50 for 250 w panels.

My $.02

Solar Generators have very limited capacity. A recent new person had one and was unable to keep up with just the demand from the small fridge they were running, let alone the other stuff that needed juice.

Costs of solar? The battery will generally be the most expensive part, then a charge controller/Inverter, and then the solar panels.... this will vary a bit, but it is the root.

Estimating your consumption is the first step in designing a solar system, then the panels to support that draw and then the batteries that can hold enough juice for a day or two, and then the controller and inverter to manage it all.

If you are aiming for full time, the Solar Generators may not be able to serve your needs well, and for not a whole lot more money, you could have a better system. There is "a lot to it", but anyone that has gone down that path looks back and sees that it isn't that bad.... confusing for sure if you are not versed in Watts/Volts/Amps.

Renology ( and other companies) has 200 and 400 watt kits that make good starting points for many, and you could otherwise assemble a list of similar parts and get the job done as well, and perhaps for less money. Pirate Camp could help. You could also apply for a solar kit from HOWA for the Van Build Event next spring, OR, attend Van-Aide this winter, OR contact pirate camp and bring the components with ... or spend as many hours as need be to study the whole electrical wizardry yourself and tackle that beast yourself.

Whatever you think you need for power at this point.... add more... if you can afford it....

I have a large Bluetti power station and 600-watts of solar. I have plenty of power for a refrigerator, TV, lights, and Starlink. I don't need anything better.

A power station is so easy to use, just plug in your solar panel(s) and use it. The mistake many make though is buying one too small for their future needs.

I do have a solar controller and three lithium batteries just in case, but I like the Bluetti better.

Last edited:
AC200P

I have a Bluetti EB70S (which is smaller) that works great too.

Last edited:
... hire a professional...
How about:
* hire a professional to tutor you.
Your hands do the work, the tutor guides them the first few times.
And then:
* hire a different professional, with a different vocabulary and background and tutoring skills.
I think the tutorials of YouTubers such as Will Prowse are certainly worth the investment of time.
For me, a big 'plus' is the ability to slow/stop/re-play the tutorial.
These work with my learning style; your learning style may require throwing money at the professional while you do something unrelated in a different area of the rig.
For me, the ability to trouble-shoot some issue while boondocking in the forest is worth the hands-on experience.
That unspecified issue could be with a buddy's rig... giving me the opportunity to tutor, paying it forward.
Why hire two sequential tutors?
I think different teaching styles activate different learning areas of the brain... and muscle-memory.
Example:
I have aspirations to sing opera.
Some vocal coaches come at it through repetition.
Other instructors allow the learning to evolve organically.
I received the most productive time from a busy male piano student in the Master's program at the Music School at the Eww of Oregon, Eugene.
I received the least productive time from a nice lady band-leader student -- in an identical self-directed program -- with a 'pleaser' personality.
Both of these examples were prepping to go straight into a teaching position, probably at a high-schools level.
Each contributed, although my preference sides with the slightly cranky dude because of his clearer understanding of the worth/cost/value of time.
And, as always, I suggest avoiding believing:
* 'this rig is my forever rig'.
I am willing to bet you are going to fiddle with whatever photovoltaic ends-up on your rig.
That is one of the downsides to YouTube tutorials... somebody is always fussing with something and calling it an 'up-grade'.
Example:
A couple weeks ago, I did a solo, took the rig from Oregon to Redding California for a rendezvous with some of our caravan chums headed to Baja for the winter.
Inevitably, I got to touring different rigs designed for extended boondocking.
And, inevitably, I saw some nifty-neato Gizmos and 'system' 'up-grade' potentials.
Must-have must-do.
Is this some kind of addiction?
Should I seek professional help?
ACK!

Last edited:
I am distressed when I read all of this stuff about solar power, and power coming from a little suitcase!

I am planning to join the full-time vanlife, but much of this stuff is scary. People could try to explain electricity to me until they run out of air and pass out, and I still wouldn't understand. My brain shifts into neutral. I took a test a few years ago, and discovered that I have a serious case of A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder) -- 80% positive.

And the kind of stuff that I DO absorb and retain is completely useless:
• Rats can't vomit.
• Most regulation golf balls have 336 dimples.
• White women of Western European descent have the worst body odor of all humans.

What am I going to do with THAT? **sigh**

I am distressed when I read all of this stuff about solar power, and power coming from a little suitcase!

I am planning to join the full-time vanlife, but much of this stuff is scary. People could try to explain electricity to me until they run out of air and pass out, and I still wouldn't understand. My brain shifts into neutral. I took a test a few years ago, and discovered that I have a serious case of A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder) -- 80% positive.

And the kind of stuff that I DO absorb and retain is completely useless:
• Rats can't vomit.
• Most regulation golf balls have 336 dimples.
• White women of Western European descent have the worst body odor of all humans.

What am I going to do with THAT? **sigh**
I feel this deep in my soul

Solar power consists of a positive wire, a negative wire, and a system ground. A couple of safety fuses between components.

The problem is that it is almost too simple for most people to comprehend.

Panels (power) controller and batteries. An inverter if you are getting fancy and using 120 volt.

Wires MUST be of proper material and size with solid crimped connectors. Panels must match the size of the controller. Batteries must be in good condition.

Back before I had several strokes it was easy. Now it is best to find a company with a good reputation and have them design a custom system for your needs. Have a different company or installer review it and check their revisions with someone else.

I have had to correct such problems as under size wire, bad crimps, mismatched batteries and panels wired wrong.

Now I just have Jim in Denver do my stuff. It costs, but it is done right.

Last year we went to lithium batteries. Only by looking at the readout can I tell if the shore power is off or not.

but much of this stuff is scary.

Fear is either based on certain knowledge ( the bear is going to kill and eat me!) but it is also based on a lack of knowledge, and heading out in Nomad mode can be filled with unknowns.

The answer is ... hard work.. in learning the stuff you need to know and overcoming the lack of knowledge about any of the systems and ways of nomadity.

Electrons are confusing.... but it isn't that bad... certainly not eye surgery...more like stitches.

Fear is a good thing. This is your system telling you it is not prepared for what it is about to encounter, and as you are not falling off a cliff, you do have time to get on top of the scary issues and make them less scary.

Know that many have gone before and they got through it.... this and other resources can really get you in the right mind set for this adventure.

Good Luck!!

Fear...

Known unknowns.... these are the things that stress us out, and are indeed things to be addressed.

But.... what about Unknown unknowns? Of course there is no way to see what is around the corner... for the most part roads do not "just end" in a drop off of death... but there is a comparison in it... I have a crap ton of tools and a fair amount of parts that are known to break in my rig, so I have some of my known unknowns covered. I have also thought about the potential for unknowns, but there is only so much you can do to CYA when you do not know what event awaits for you around that corner.

Confidence can overcome fear.
Ignorance can be an ally of fear.
Fear is good as it means the brain is actively looking for danger and this is a good thing....

If you feel a lot of fear, you have to many unknowns looming over you and you should try to learn what you need to know to make those monsters dissolve.

All that said... it may not be easy, or possible... I have ptsd issues and there are times I cannpt stop the kneejerk reaction Mr Brain has...

Will Prose is an awesome resource for learning how to build a solar system (from a very basic van/RV system up to multi-kilowatt hour home systems) and which brands are good and which are trash. In fact, he has quite a few videos where he completely tears batteries apart and looks at the guts to see if they are good or not. The advantage of Will's videos is that he won't let anyone sponsor his videos and pays for everything himself...so he is under no obligation to give skewed opinions.

Another good resource for learning from the ground up is Elitists.live on YouTube. They have a playlist that starts from the very very basics (literally...the first video is 'this is how you cut a wire' followed by how to strip a wire etc etc). The playlist is like 30 videos that cover everything from cutting, stripping and crimping wires to how and when to set up your Solar Panels in series, parallel or series-parallel and by the end they are showing you how to build large solar systems (seriously...iirc the last one builds something like a 1200ah system). They are VERY Victron heavy though...but then Victron sponsors most of their videos...soo. As long as you keep in mind that you don't have to use all the components they show in their builds you can learn a LOT.