First Night

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
Well this is my first night in my Hyundai Elantra. It's 10:05 pm and a nice 82 degrees w a slight breeze. Parked, for now, at a Walmart. There are two other car dwellers near me in this lot, must be the place. Had my Taco Bell dinner. Ready for sleep.
Night friends, 
Jackson

Well it went ok, uncomfortable, yes but doable. I learned a lot last. Night other than I really like a nice queen mattress lol. There are adjustments I need to do, a couple of things to buy .
It was my first night in 11 years with no CPAP machine chine. That. Was my biggest worry but I slept upright and managed.The first night was really hot, I bought a cheap Walmart pillow to help but it got really hot and soaked, wrong type of pillow.
I parked near two other dwellers and that helped me feel better about where I was. Slept all night with the windows half way down. It was in the 80's until about 4am then cooled down a bit.
I woke up to sunshine, a little soar but a walk will help that..
If first day✓

It's been a long morning day, at least the weather was nice. I am back at Wallmart. Night two and am kinda down, extremely tired and not feeling like my old self. I did not sleep with my CPAP machine last night nor will I tonight. I have barely enough cash to last a week if I am lucky. $70 for ten days. Getting used to McDonalds dollar menu, chicken sandwich, $1.09.
Well sun is going down, I am in a back corner of the parking lot were there is no traffic. A few spaces down from the person here last night.
Night friends.

An acquaintance of mine used to stealth camp in his car using a car cover, (you can get them for about $20 probably cheaper at a dollar store). He would park near an apartment building with the passenger window open. He would put the cover on. If people were around he would walk off for a bit and then come back a bit later, lift the cover and jump in. He said people assumed the car was empty and never lifted it to find out. It gave him some privacy as well. He spray painted his license number on the back to make it less desirable to thieves.

Check and see if there are any food banks in your town. Sometimes I help unload boxes of food that comes into my church. Others sort them out and fix boxes for people to take. A lot of it is good looking stuff. Free food can save you a bunch of money. If they say you need this paperwork or that, ask them if you can help them for a few hours in exchange.
Best wishes to you.

Third night, same Walmart parking lot and space. It's been another long day. It was hot again with no wind.
Beautiful tonight. I look forward to a good sleep.
This is gonna work.
Every day seems to get easier and easier. Making adjustments all the time, dollar stores are great I found out. It's amazing how many little cubby holes there are in cars, lol..

Best wishes, if it don't kill ya it makes you stronger, hopefully.

I was gifted a 2004 Ford E250 cargo van with a high top. I just picked it up and it is a 180 from the Hyundai. More tomorrow.

Congraulations! You'll be much more comfortable in the van. :)

If there are more parking lots in your area that are good for overnighting rotate through them. Also find a shady park, mall, library, etc. where you can spend the day. Avoid parking in the same spot in the Walmart lot night after night. You want to stay under the radar so be as unobtrusive as possible.

Once your check comes in, if it's possible, drive to the forest and boondock where it should be cooler.   https://freecampsites.net/#!(37.05299,+-120.0358)

Last night I stayed in a hardware store parking lot. Going from the Hyundai to this high rise castle so fast I am in shock. Last night I actually slept. I love it!
My life long dream is coming true. Better than expected, no car payments.
This 24" high top is exactly what I wanted. I wrote this goal down a few years ago, a Ford E250 5.4L, cargo with a few windows (not a passenger window setup) and a 24" high top base model. Or a Mercedes 2500 Sprinter high top. Well I knew the Printer was way out of my range but I could possible afford avan without the top or windows and add on each month. I got big time blessed.
Well I will be heading over to the VAN section going forward.
Thank you everyone for all you ideas and support!!!
Jackson

Great score on the high top van.  I'm glad you are adjusting well.  I started living in a car on the same day as you.  Odd, it's been a dream of mine for years to do this.
It helped me to read your posts, to see someone else in my shoes.  I don't have good access to internet now, but hope to make my own post within the next few days.

That is absolutely great news about the van!! I am so happy for you! There are so many good people full of blessings!

First night was June 23, three plus a cat ackef into my Hyundai Elantra.
June 30th I was given a van.
Today, July 6th I sold the Hyundai Elantra and bought my son and daughter in law a nice Jeep Cherokee. They will be migrating into the Jeep over the next week and I will have my van to start playing with
Lol working on. It's been many years since I did any auto wrenching or construction but I am looking forward to it. I have access to a full wood shop too.

Jackson

Sounds like you've made the turn & are on the road to happiness :)

this has been so fun to read. Almost glad i got to start today to read some progress. Blessings continue :)