First night in 4x8 cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bolt-on tongue mount for the spare tire. Got mine the same time I got the hand-crank front jack - this trailer did not come with it. Tractor Supply had both for decent prices. Bolts on in minutes. Still room on the front of the box for a 20lb. propane tank.

I'm very impressed with the trailers in the link above and they are made in Ocala, Florida. I'm going to visit my my in Florida in February and she is about 30 miles south of Ocala so I'll go take a tour of the factory while I'm there.

Bob

akrvbob said:
I'm going to visit my my in Florida in February and she is about 30 miles south of Ocala so I'll go take a tour of the  factory while I'm there.

After which you will be sure to give us your impressions?

as far as fix-a-flat. like others have posted the tire guys hate it. you would too if you had to repair a tire with fix-a-flat in it. I can't imagine you are getting their best service if they are dealing with it. I carry a hi quality plug kit, if I can't plug it, it shouldn't be on the road. I would mount a full size spare somewhere. that's a pretty cool looking trailer just be careful about loading. with a single bar tongue I would keep it well under the weight rating. highdesertranger

Sorry, I guess that post didn't really go anywhere did it? Hopefully I can take a factory tour and I'll take some photos and do a post on it.

I get letters from people who own cars and can't afford a van and these would be perfect for them. At 700 pounds they are a little heavy but most cars can tow them okay. It could be a lifesaver for some people.
Bob

People at the Teardrop forum have been experimenting with teardrop trailer bodies made from 2" thick foam.

Get an old boat trailer, make a plywood floor, glue foam panels together, cover with fabric, paint and install a door and vent. It could be done very quickly if one were to make a box style cabin rather than trying to shape it.

http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55

One thing I can tell you is that building anything out of FRP and foam is not something to do if one doesn't know what they are doing. Someone that is very good at learning things for themselves could watch enough Youtube videos and read enough about the subject to get enough knowledge to do that but it still wouldn't be real cheep.

masterplumber said:
I always wanted to build a camp trailer out of Nidacore.

Cool. If you left it transparent, it would look kinda like a tent with the light on inside. Not stealth, but interesting.

I love my little camper, I think I could live in it, even in a Michigan winter, well as long as I have 120V for an electric heater.

I added a hinged table held up by a chain. The pictures show my wastebasket and emergency litter toilet, just pull one trash bag to the side and open up another one. A pail with a gamma lid, trash bags and a roll of toilet paper with the cardboard tube ripped out, in a plastic bag. I need some cat litter to complete this illegal toilet. A dark and mysterious picture that might show the ghost of samsquatch or it could just be a spare tire mounted on the hitch bar.

My $20 phone camera is truly potato quality.

I have been driving my "rig" around town to get used to driving with a trailer, and parking it. My 1.6 liter Nissan Versa does a fine job in town and on country roads. We don't have a lot of hills here so I can't say this rig will work in mountains. But taking it easy, driving the speed limit and driving relaxed works fine. I live in a small town so other drivers are not too hectic and they are patient. When the weather warms up a lot of Chicagioso will arrive and drive like idiots, that will be a good test.

I am getting about 25 mpg. I'm not sure the good gas mileage is worth the lack of power. I would rather have more power for acceleration, highway driving and getting up hills.

It is very difficult to back up. I need to learn how to do this. I can't hardly back into my driveway without hitting the other car.

The front wheels will spin pretty easily on gravel over asphalt. It still works on gravel roads but I could see problems in rainy muddy weather. FWD is not ideal for pulling a trailer. I drove through a local state campground with two track roads and the car pulled us right through no problem. So it works but you need to know your limits.

I like the Versa because it is kind of simple, tractor technology, but I am looking at the new Jeep Renegade 4x4, it looks pretty cool. It is narrow enough to get through the two tracks in the forest trails around here. It has a 2.5 liter motor, which should be better on the highway and in mountains.

The trailer seems to work better when loaded. It bounces and jumps around a lot when it is empty, jerking the car every time. With weight in it, it is more stable and doesn't jerk the car around as much. The additional weight doesn't seem to affect driving too much. I don't have it fully loaded yet though, just the basic camping gear.

The car works on interstate highways but it slows down a lot on any slope. You need to be ready to downshift on long hills.

So after about 100 miles of driving around town, I can say that a small car pulling a light cargo trailer or teardrop will work fine, if you stay out of mountains and avoid the interstate.

Good to hear a report on how you are liking it!

The good thing about those little trailers is you get in a jam, can just stop, unhitch, and literally pick up the tongue and push it around. At least you can if you keep it light enough.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Good to hear a report on how you are liking it!

The good thing about those little trailers is you get in a jam, can just stop, unhitch, and literally pick up the tongue and push it around.  At least you can if you keep it light enough.
Bob

And carry a wheel dolly for it as well as the post that most come with. I learned early on that the wheel was going to be my best friend. That and parking on anything but gravel... :rolleyes:

Yes, thanks for the report on how you're doing with it.

I sold the 4x8 cargo trailer. I am looking for something for two people, not sure what we will end up with, class b, class a, trailer???

I was wondering and keeping my fat trap shut about the small size. The problem is as you go bigger you need a bigger tow vehicle (TV) and the cycle never ends. Ask our moderator/owner Bob about if his trailer could do 2 ok, but remember he pulls with a 1 ton van...

You could keep some versatility with a Tacoma or Frontier mini truck, or maybe a Highlander or even a RAV4 SUV. That could probably pull a 5x7 easy enough. I've seen the Highlanders pulling a 6x12, they have 270 hp and good torque, just are sprung soft. You need a WDH (weight distributing hitch).

Nice thing about the Highlander is the v6 comes with an integrated tow package, so you have the oil cooler, trans cooler, and the 4 pin wiring all done for you. Hitches are extra, that's another $250 ish from online retailers, $450 from Toyota. The factory hitch fits higher up in the bumper so you aren't hooking up so low... RAV can't pull as much. The mini trucks are rated with V6 at 6000 lbs I believe, the Highlander only 3500. Years may vary those numbers but has to be a 6 cylinder...