FIRST DAY ORIENTATION GUIDANCE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malkey

Reaction score
Hello All!

I look forward to RTR 2018. I know there will be a lot of you folks attending and so I'd like to know if any experienced RTR participants can help me get oriented with getting settled in. I'm sure that campers and nomads will be spread out over a vast area and so I'm curious to know if there will be a specific central meeting meeting place we meet and if so, if will there be any signs or volunteers telling us where to go.

Perhaps there's a link somewhere on this site that details all this stuff? If so, can you provide a link?

I'm totally green when it comes to all this stuff and so any clarification, guidance would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help, integrity and patience. I look forward to seeing you all in January!

Malcolm (Malkey) ;)

In previous years the RTR has been pretty casual but since it's grown a lot there will probably be a bit more organization this year - more signs, etc.

Here's a link to get you started - http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/
Some of the the information is out of date but the rules and location are correct.

There will be signs at the turn into the main RTR site. If you follow that road you'll come to the main campfire and seminar site. Just ask anyone that you see where it is if you don't find it. Chances are you'll be talking to another newby and they won't know so ask somebody else. :)

The first day of the RTR is an orientation to Quartzsite and we'll answer all your questions. After that it should be general knowledge to everyone, just keep asking and someone will know. There will also be a bulletin board at the main fire pit with answers to most of your questions.

akrvbob said:
The first day of the RTR is an orientation to Quartzsite and we'll answer all your questions. After that it should be general knowledge to everyone, just keep asking and someone will know. There will also be a bulletin board at the main fire pit with answers to most of your questions.

Hi Bob!

How are you? I certainly can appreciate how busy you are and so I'll be brief. Curious to know if you or someone in the community can advise me as to what type of rig to bring to RTR in January.  I don't own my own rig and so for now I'm considering renting a van from this place:

http://www.lostcampersusa.com

I'm totally green to all of this and so any expert advice on what type of rig to rent, a list of MUST HAVE items to bring to RTR (e.g. clothing, food, etc.), prior to my arrival would be most welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help, integrity and professionalism. I look forward to meeting you at the RTR in January.

With kind regards,
Malcolm (Malkey)

Malkey, a van from them would certainly work. if you plan on sleeping in your vehicle any vehicle you could sleep in would work. as far as food bring anything you like. of course you need a way to keep perishable good. for 2 weeks an ice chest will work. you will also need a way to cook so a kitchen is a must. you need to stay warm when you sleep so a good sleeping bag. also warm clothes because it is winter. good shoes suitable for the desert. highs will range from 50's-70's lows 20's-40's. if you average that you can count on high 60, low 30. so plan to dress accordingly. I like to break my list into sections like this,

1. bedroom
2. clothes
3. kitchen
4. food
5. camp supplies
6. bathroom
7. etc

so for instance,
1. bedroom
sleeping bag
mattress or pad
blankie
pillows
and what ever else you need for a comfy and warm nights sleep
5. camp supplies
flashlight
knife
hatchet
shade tarp?

lists are highly personalized so it's kinda up to you. but I find if you break it dowm into smaller list it makes it much easier and less daunting. hope that helps. highdesertranger

This is my first RTR. Really excited about it, but at the same time a wee bit anxious as I'll be going to RTR solo and I don't know a soul there. After watching Bob's video on Camp Etiquette, it's obvious that we all want to have a fun, happy and meaningful time. Like Bob and many fellow RTR participants, I'm also an introvert and so I'm curious to know if any of you folks can tell me the most effective way to approach and establish a positive rapport with fellow nomads.
Any advice on how to break the ice would be most welcome and appreciated.
Thanks!

Most people are a bit apprehensive about any new situation, especially when going solo however since many people will also be solo and first time attendees you won't be the only one wondering how to break the ice. :) Just greet anyone that you see hanging around outside their vehicle or strolling the RTR grounds. Stop by any campfire circle and chat a while. You will find that this is the friendliest, most accepting, helpful and nonjudgement group that you have ever encountered. Have fun!