• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Finding a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smallsworld

Reaction score
Hi
Curious how I go about finding a van. Will any old van work? Do I need some special model? Is one year better then the other? All suggestions are welcome...

Welcome to the CRVL forums Smallsworld! You'll find a lot of good information under Choosing The Right Vehicle and Van section of the forum. https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4 It's better to buy a van that hasn't spent most of its life in the northeast where salt is used on the roads in the winter. Get the newest van with the fewest miles that you can afford. If you find a van that you're interested in post the ad on the forums and the members who are mechanically inclined will be able to help you decide if it's a good choice. Good luck with your search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Only you can determine what you need. You may want to start with what you have to find out if the life is for you. If you have done a lot of camping, you already have a pretty good idea of what you want.

Brian
Thank you. I will have to look up your suggestion and see if I can locate a care and feeding guide for "The Beast".

B and C
Thank you for the good advice. I have a list of "wants" for inside a van. Now I want a van to put that list to work.
But its like having to many choices and no clue where to start. Ford,Chevy,GMC okay sure one of each. Lol Is one better? Knowing what I want isnt an issue, knowing how to get there is. If that makes sense.

Before going hunting,  one should have a well developed idea of what they would like to have.

The hightop fiberglass roofed long wheel base extended Van is one (or has been) of the most sought after.

130416-its-huge2.jpg

An extended Van would have perhaps another 24 inches of body behind the rear wheel.  (like an extension behind the rear wheel)

But newer Vans and styles are becoming more available now days.

001.jpg

Many of these Vans are in the form of 1/2 ton.  But they are also made in 3/4 ton and 1 ton, which are more rugged.

Aluminum body step Vans have loads of room and resist rusting. (making replacing the engine/transmission if necessary a more attractive
proposition.  A well cared for step Van could last for some time.)  These are often used for Bread trucks, or for delivering potato chips & snacks. Automatic transmissions are more common in these now days and many of them get rather light usage.   But the can easily be built out and worked on.  Plus they are built like Trucks.

If I were looking for a Van with a High Top,  I'd look for one without windows except in the front and in the back doors.  If it doesn't have tilt out rear windows,  you can find those on a wrecking yard and install them yourself.  I did mine. Just make sure to get the window gaskets with the windows as
you will cut/destroy the old gaskets when removing the fixed windows in the rear doors.  Being able to open the rear windows will allow for a nice breeze when driving  or some air when camping.  Most commercial delivery Vans don't have side windows, they are all sheet metal which makes for easier insulating and build out. 

You can visit the top link in the two below this post. "Van Conversion".

As for will any Van work, it will depend on what you are wanting to do.  If you want a starter to use on week ends you will still be wanting something
that's in fair shape with some miles left on it.  I would suggest going with a gasoline engine if you are in a colder climate.  Yes, some makes & models
have a better track record and Google searching may be the easiest way to learn about that.  There are auto-brokers in various parts of the USA
and they have "finders" software to locate who has what. They will charge a fee to locate something for you,  and ask how far you are willing to travel to buy it.  Also what your budget is for the vehicle you specify.   In some cases it may be cheaper to do that than drive all over the country for a year hunting with that much gas and time spent that could have been used with a broker so you would have had the time to  build out your Van.

Grumliner1.JPG

In an 18 ft long step Van you would likely have a 5 X 10 area you can stand up in.  That could be built out nicely for one person on the road or to boondock in for a few days.  You may not need dual rear wheels either.

Other things, will you have room where you live to park it when not using it ?  Will you have valuable items in it that should be stored in a secure place  when the rig isn't in use.  (aka generator, kitchen equipment, tool kit, sound system, laptop, camera, and anything else a thief could steal)

This is just some brief things to consider.  Good luck !

eDJ
Thank you for all the great info.. I like the idea of a broker, think I will start my shopping there. So many ideas..
Thank you again.

I bought my van off a government auction. govdeals.com or google government auctions van. My Dodge Ram 2500 1999 was purchased from California Department of Corrections. It’s a cargo van and I’m in the process of converting it. I purchased the van for 2300. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts