Finally!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to use one of those floaty things and sleep in the pool? Maybe a kids pool with a little water in it might work? Put a space blanket over the top for some stealth. The silver part out of course. I feel for you. I've been in a camper shell for a month or so now and the heat at 90-100 has been tough. At 110-120 I'd feel like a rotisserie chicken. But temps go down considerably when the sun sets here. My prayers are with you.

24,000 acres now. Last night I sat on the tailgate and saw flames crest the top in two spots. Idyllwild has been evacuated, cute little town on the other side. The Tram is closed too. Winds are changing direction, so my spot may be smokier tonight. The actual fire isn't so much to worry about where I am. It's the smoke. No ash this morning, but I did find a small piece of burned wood on the passenger seat. I had the driver side window halfway up and a towel covering the open passenger window. It still found it's way in.&nbsp;<br>I seem to have become more acclimated to the heat. I get in the pool before retiring for the night, though not since the fire. Too much black soot in it. I take a bucket of water and soak a hand towel and my t-shirt. I also have a "cool mat". I sleep with the mat under my legs, the towel on top of my legs, and wear the t-shirt. That's for when night time lows are 95*+. &nbsp;Yes, it does look funny. Good I'm single!<br>Dealing with the heat has a certain mind over matter aspect. Wanting to not be hot is not going to make you be not hot. Other than being sensible and getting out of the sun, drink water, etc., just accept that it's hot. Kinda' like child birth! Go with the flow. On the other hand, I do have a really high pain threshold.<br>This fire reminds me of when Mt St Helens blew her top, with ash on everything. I lived nearby that too at the time.

Rain!!! Fires are pretty much history! Awakened at 3 am with rain pelting the truck roof, thunder and lightning 2-6 seconds apart. Had to jump up, roll up the windows, run to the back and into the shell to attempt to shut the window there. It was so dried out I couldn't do it. Note to self to not wait for things like that! Looks like it might dump again tonight. The cooler temps are a nice reprieve.&nbsp;<br>I discovered Pam works nicely on lubricating the shell window. It now does what it's supposed to, you know, open and close. The driver window also benefited as well. I hadn't put the window up in months, it didn't want to come back down. Yikes, not with the rest of the summer to contend with!

As a tent camper, I will tell you when the electric is in the air, I get in the cab.&nbsp; Rain pelting is like sleeping pills to me.&nbsp; Keep a can of silicone spray around it works wonders.&nbsp;