Finally making my newbie post

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
travelaround said:
How about a collection of old 78s from the 1920s through 1940s ... about 500 of them - would that have any value? My father left us his record collection and it looks like my siblings want me to take it on.

Depends on rarity, condition and music type. Blues, Jazz, Hillbilly Country and 50's Rock and Roll are desirable. Pop music, classical, big band, easy listening are not so much.

He was mostly into jazz - particularly Dixieland jazz... but the record collection may touch on all genres. His favorite was the Maple Leaf Rag.

He passed away in 2011 two weeks before my brother's wedding. It seemed like pure synchronicity when the piano player at my brother's wedding reception suddenly started playing the Maple Leaf Rag, without even knowing it was well-known to all in the family as my father's favorite tune. Seriously, it was the only thing my father ever taught himself to play on the piano. The piano player said he'd recently been trying to learn it. Maybe the spirit of Dad led him to it, to let us know he was enjoying the wedding along with us.

travelaround said:
He was mostly into jazz - particularly Dixieland jazz... but the record collection may touch on all genres. His favorite was the Maple Leaf Rag.

He passed away in 2011 two weeks before my brother's wedding. It seemed like pure synchronicity when the piano player at my brother's wedding reception suddenly started playing the Maple Leaf Rag, without even knowing it was well-known to all in the family as my father's favorite tune. Seriously, it was the only thing my father ever taught himself to play on the piano. The piano player said he'd recently been trying to learn it. Maybe the spirit of Dad led him to it, to let us know he was enjoying the wedding along with us.

Wonderful anecdote!
I never found much market for Dixieland but I could be wrong.

Marcus, Glad ya finally decided to say hello . If you make it to RTR maybe we will meet . Good luck , And I got my national parks pass a couple years ago when I became disabled. I love the big discounts I get . You’ll enjoy them too

Smitty716 said:
Marcus, Glad ya finally decided to say hello . If you make it to RTR maybe we will meet . Good luck , And I got my national parks pass a couple years ago when I became disabled. I love the big discounts I get . You’ll enjoy them too

Thanks, Smitty!!
I intend on attending RTR this year, although I'll probably not camp in the crowded spots I'll certainly be looking around and taking in all in during the day.