Finally introducing myself

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aurinlara

Reaction score
Hello vandwellers
I have been following both Bob Wells, cheaprvliving and the forum from 2017, and finally arrived the moment i am able to be an active part of the community, hopefully, haha.
My dream was to buy a 6x12 cargo trailer, and dedicate some time and effort to convert on a permanent home. Suddenly I lost my job and I get forced to purchase something suitable, and put all my stuff on it plus start my adventure on a different way I expected...
I own a Toyota 4runner limited edition 1997, quite worn, but already I spent a lot of money on it. I purchased a CargoMate Forest River 6x12 [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] single axle [/font]two weeks ago.
I have sooooo many questions, doubts and issues right now..., I don't know how to face it, hahaha. I never ever towed anything, so it has been a really challenge the three times I moved from here to there. I'm forcing myself to go out of my comfort zone and push me to learn how to drive backwards, how to hook and unhook the trailer and how to drive on a regular basis, but I'm overwhelmed.
I hope I can join you next January on the RTR meeting. Dreaming about that already for 3 years. 
On the meantime, I will try to find and address the main problems I'm finding now, as 'how to address the lack of power or the issues on the cooling system on my 4runner', which brand/model I should start to look for if I would like to purchase a second hand more powerfull truck (limited budget, tho). What could be the first step on the conversion? (I assume insulation + wiring, but also I want to go solar, and install the marine battery I already have, maybe propane... nothing fancy but useful.)
Right now, i'm working again and I have quite little time off, but trying to plan ahead next move, of course.
I'm thrill of finally be part of this amazing community. A dream come through.
Thank you for your support.  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Welcome Aurinlara to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the forum Aurinlara. So you’ve been hiding in the shadows for three years. Welcome to the daylight and thanks for introducing yourself. You’ve already been learning a lot here but interaction with others in the forum and questions from you about your specifics will help you learn more. Welcome again God bless the nomads even those who are lurking in the shadows.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

If you could find time to tow your trailer to a vacant area on a large Mall parking lot,  you could practice some.  Find a couple of plastic waste paper cans to use as markers and set them up as a space you want to back your trailer into.  As a driver of a Tractor Trailer once told me it is much more difficult to back up a small utility trailer than a
large trailer like the Semi's tow.  The least movement of your steering wheel will immediately effect the turning of the utility trailer.  So you only barely turn the wheel when maneuvering the small trailer.  You may have a friend go with you and signal you when you first start practicing.  It just takes time to get the feel of this with your vehicle.

In the meanwhile,  below are two links. 1) for Van Conversion which has links at the top for Trailer conversion, Bicycle conversion (to install a small motor on the bike),  setting up a Bug-Out Car, and My Own Story  of how I got into using my Van years ago.   The second site "edjautoservices" is a pre planning while at home or re planning once on the road portal of handy information to make your travels more safe, comfortable, and convenient.  Check it out ?

Good luck and all the best.

1st off welcome,

hmmm lack of power. lets take this in steps,
what engine?
what is the tow rating of the runner?
what is the "gross combined vehicle weight" rating(GCVW) of the runner?
how much does the trailer weigh?
how much does the truck and trailer weigh?
note, you must weigh only fully loaded with gas, water, and supplies.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
1st off welcome,

hmmm lack of power.  lets take this in steps,
what engine? V6 
what is the tow rating of the runner? apparently 3000 lbs, but somewhere I found 5000 lbs
what is the "gross combined vehicle weight" rating(GCVW) of the runner? 5250 lbs
how much does the trailer weigh? 1220 lbs. Cargo carrying capacity 1770
how much does the truck and trailer weigh? Not sure, the weighting station was closed, but I dont think it was even 700 lbs of load...
note, you must weigh only fully loaded with gas,  water,  and supplies.

highdesertranger

the lack of power I felt already towing the empty cargo trailer up and down the siskiyou summit on the I-5... After loading I tried to speed up ahead to not to lose so much power, and it worked fine, but i can feel about 10 mph less. I started to realise smell of cooling water, and later on I discover a leak where the hoses convert for the heating system, not sure if this could affect, but started to happen after I'm towing. Not sure if I should open a new thread with a couple of pictures and this issue... 

eDJ_ said:
Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

If you could find time to tow your trailer to a vacant area on a large Mall parking lot,  you could practice some.  Find a couple of plastic waste paper cans to use as markers and set them up as a space you want to back your trailer into.  As a driver of a Tractor Trailer once told me it is much more difficult to back up a small utility trailer than a
large trailer like the Semi's tow.  The least movement of your steering wheel will immediately effect the turning of the utility trailer.  So you only barely turn the wheel when maneuvering the small trailer.  You may have a friend go with you and signal you when you first start practicing.  It just takes time to get the feel of this with your vehicle.
yeah, I already realized how sensitive is! 

In the meanwhile,  below are two links. 1) for Van Conversion which has links at the top for Trailer conversion, Bicycle conversion (to install a small motor on the bike),  setting up a Bug-Out Car, and My Own Story  of how I got into using my Van years ago.   The second site "edjautoservices" is a pre planning while at home or re planning once on the road portal of handy information to make your travels more safe, comfortable, and convenient.  Check it out ?
Thank you for the links. I will take a look asap.

Good luck and all the best.