Finally did it......................

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingBiker

Reaction score
Friday I purchased a 2007 25' fifth wheel toy hauler...

Its a sportsman, KZ sporster in decent condition....

built like a tank.... at 6200lbs dry... 

not time to do my mods and then hit the road......

camper 2.jpg

camper 6.jpg

camper 8.jpg

Attachments

• camper 2.jpg
    camper 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 47
  • camper 6.jpg
    camper 6.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 51
  • camper 8.jpg
    camper 8.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 57
Very nice. We have a toyhauler also. Love the garage space for bringing toys and such. Does it have an onboard genny? That is one thing we love with ours.
best of luck with it!

RoamerRV428 said:
Very nice.  We have a toyhauler also.  Love the garage space for bringing toys and such.  Does it have an onboard genny?  That is one thing we love with ours.
best of luck with it!

unfortunately it doesnt have one..... I do have a 4k dual/fuel (propane/gasoline) generator... have only run it on propane... I will be doing some mods on in the garage area to fit my equipment and materials.... then off on the road..

Lots of space! Not sure what one even does with two couches.

Love the ability to drop down the whole rear end and have immense air flow. Do you have a way of screening that off so you can get lots of air during the summer but keep the bugs out?

you have one nice home there! enjoy the heck out of it :)

WanderingBiker said:
unfortunately it doesnt have one..... I do have a 4k dual/fuel (propane/gasoline) generator... have only run it on propane... I will be doing some mods on in the garage area to fit my equipment and materials.... then off on the road..

the couches will be coming out as I have the bedroom up front, replaced by more shelves and cabinets...  Yes there is a rolled up screen that covers the entire back door...

Toy Hauler is home.... The seller delivered it today.....

spent a couple hours figuring out what different things do and doing a little cleaning, which it needed badly...

question:  the black tank sensor is not working, whats the best way to measure any contents that may be in the tank... I hoped that
the seller drained it before delivering, but dont  know.... 

new camper 1.jpg
new camper 2.jpg
new camper 3.jpg

Attachments

• new camper 1.jpg
    new camper 1.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 11
  • new camper 2.jpg
    new camper 2.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 11
  • new camper 3.jpg
    new camper 3.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 8
While I hope that the previous owner emptied it for you he may not have.

I'd try dumping the tanks first. Once you know that the tanks are as empty as they are willing to be right now, then it's safe to assume that the problem is with the sensors.

Most RV owners, particularly first time owners, don't know or care that they should never put toilet paper down the toilet. The toilet paper does decompose some in the tank but seldom does so fully. The sensors are nothing more than rods set in to the tank at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full marks. When debris like toilet paper sticks to them they can no longer sense the water level in the tank and either shut off or show full/1/2/whatever on a permanent basis.

The solution is to first try flushing the tank by closing the valves, fill the tank from a faucet and then drain. If that doesn't flush the tank fully, then take a 10 lb bag of ice cubes, toss them down the toilet in to the tank, add 5 to 10 gallons of water depending on the size of the tank and then take the RV out fro a drive. Give it a good 1/2 hour on the bumpiest road you can, then empty the tank again. You might have to do this a couple of times if the sensors are badly clogged.

Pray that the previous owner didn't park the RV somewhere, leave the valve open and then use the toilet. I've seen it happen.... :rolleyes:  What happens is that the liquid flows out leaving nothing but an accumulation of solids behind. The only solution for that is a pressure washer stuck down the toilet to break up the accumulation of solids. Rinse and repeat until the tank is empty.

Almost There said:
While I hope that the previous owner emptied it for you he may not have.

I'd try dumping the tanks first. Once you know that the tanks are as empty as they are willing to be right now, then it's safe to assume that the problem is with the sensors.
thanks... just got this and dont plan on using the black tank in the future, but want to make sure its cleaned out now....
will do some more investigation and see whats up

The black tank should never be 100% empty. A gallon in the bottom will do. If worried about freezing, use RV antifreeze in it.

Most commodes dump straight into the top of the black tank. Hold the flush valve open with your foot and shine a flashlight down the hole (don't drop it).

If you do have toilet paper (TP) stuck on the sensors, fill the tank with water and let it sit for a week or so to get the TP that is stuck to the sensors soft. They make a little stick that you stick down the commode and run water through it. It blasts the TP off the sensors (after they are softened). Can't remember what they are called but are pretty cheap.

[quote pid='420045' dateline='1541646050']
If you do have toilet paper (TP) stuck on the sensors, fill the tank with water and let it sit for a week or so to get the TP that is stuck to the sensors soft.  They make a little stick that you stick down the commode and run water through it.  It blasts the TP off the sensors (after they are softened).  Can't remember what they are called but are pretty cheap.
[/quote]

thanks... will look and try all this stuff... new to black tanks and such.. so all information is good information

yea dump tank. rinse, repeat etc to clean it out. sensors ALWAYS go bad on almost everyone out there in the rv world :)

May I ask why you are not going to use your black tank in the future?
It really makes a total self contained easy to use lifestyle if you just use your bathroom and deal with dumping etc. Just curious on that one cause one total thing we love about the rv is that is does have the total useable easy to operate bathroom situation. Makes dealing with bathroom issues out on the road so darn easy truthfully for us.

Congrats! I am partial to the smaller 5th wheel toy-haulers myself. I looked seriously at them, and may still end up with one in the future. 

As far as the black tank sensors, it's very likely that they have dried 'crud' on them...

One of these will fix you right up:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000BGHYDO

Remember when you dump the tanks, empty the black tank first, then the grey. The grey water will help rinse out your sewer hose. Be sure to wear rubber gloves whenever you are dealing with this stuff.

Then if possible flow a bit more fresh water into the black tank, by flushing the toilet a couple of times with a full bowl, and let the water (and tank treatment if used) slosh around in the black tank as you drive.

all good advice so far. you might want to check because on some RV's the bathroom sink and shower also dump into the black tank. so even if you don't use the toilet you will still be using the black tank. highdesertranger

true. what HDR said is right. know your tanks, how many and how they sludge into each other. important info. cause all rvs are never the same.

RoamerRV428 said:
May I ask why you are not going to use your black tank in the future?
It really makes a total self contained easy to use lifestyle if you just use your bathroom and deal with dumping etc. 

Im going to be mostly boondoocking and may never go to an RV park... I know there are other RV dump sites, but right now... until I get out there and see what I need.... Im going to try different ways of full timing