Finally decided on a travel rig!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had another article by another off road trailer builder can't find it at the moment, but it said basically the same thing. most of your off road trailer builders have gone away from torsion axles. if you are just doing lite off roading you should be ok. the thing I don't like about the torsion axles is they are not serviceable. if you have a problem you are DOA until you replace the whole axle. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
here read this, scroll down to the torsion axle section,  http://adventuretrailers.com/suspension/ .  highdesertranger

I've read this article in the past. They never mention the brand they used, speeds they were driving, how long it took to fail, pictures of the failure etc.   I've read other articles advising against off road use as well.  I did do some back and fourth in my head when deciding on going with the Torsion axle but kept coming back to the fact the military is using them, other companies that intend their trailers to be used off road use them, they've been around forever and if they truly sucked they wouldn't still exist and that i'm going to mostly be on paved roads (I think) and want the quiet smooth ride they provide.  On top of that, my boat has leaf springs and I hate towing it now! Loud bouncy things compared to the Torsion. Time will tell if I made the right choice, i'm ok with being wrong too. It's happened before.

yep I was just giving you a heads up. your minds made up so. good luck. highdesertranger

I'm a little late with the congratulations , but congratulations. Seven feet wide is a real luxury - you'll be able to sleep sideways. I've got width envy!

So last week while drawing up floor plans I really wanted an extra two feet.  Called them and asked if it was too late to change my order.  Luckily for me it wasn't.  They had a guy who ordered a 7 x 14 a few trailers behind me so we swapped places.  So he gets his about a week and a half sooner and mine will take a week and a half longer.  

I'm sure i'll change it around a bit as I'm building it but wanted a general direction to go in.  I've been debating if I want to be able to use it as a camper/toyhauler but decided not to design it that way.  I want to permanently mount the bed and have dedicated storage underneath.  If I were to carry any toys, I'd rather haul a few Kayaks or my motor canoe and I can still slide those in through the back door or up on the ladder racks of either the tow vehicle or trailer.  

I had no idea how long the wait for this was going to feel once I ordered it!  In the mean time I have some things to do to my tow vehicle to fill the void.  Just ordered some factory tow mirrors that are extendable.  I also picked up a pushbar for the front and am going to mount some auxiliary lights on that as well as some auxiliary rear lights for backing up at night.  I think I'll replace the tonneau cover with a fiberglass cap as soon as a matching one pops up on craigslist.

Might start ordering some of the things for the trailer build in the mean time as well.

Attachments

• 7x16 Floor Plan.jpg
    7x16 Floor Plan.jpg
    117.3 KB
congratulation on your new trailer, I had a small 6x10 foot travel trailer with torsion axles, it was made in 1972\73 I think, anyways I am not sure how many miles it had on it but I owned it between 2000 and 2009, I assumed it was all original, it was in very nice condition so it may not have been used a lot, I don't know but we used it a lot, I took it over any terrain I came across never knew any better, beaches, gravel roads, washboards etc... not big tire 4x4 serious off road stuff, but wherever the van could go the trailer followed, we had no issues whatsoever.