Finally decided on a travel rig!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
I just put a deposit on a new 7x14 cargo trailer and keeping my Silverado to tow it with.  I think i'm finally at the stage of my disability where building my own is feasible and I know i'll enjoy my own build a lot more than a factory made one.  

After considering just about every option, I think this will be the best choice at the moment.  At one time or another i've considered a van, a class C, a jeep and teardrop, a box truck, a 5th wheel, converting a van to 4x4 and a few more i'm sure i'm forgetting.   

My truck is a 2013 Silverado Z71 that I bought new and I own it outright.  I've always stayed on top of maintenance and it's just turning 50k she should have plenty of life left in her.  I am almost positive i'm going to put a fiberglass cap on the back and then if I want I can set up base camp with the trailer and explore deeper into the back country for a night or two 

The trailer is going to be a 7x14 with a 2' V made by Proline in Milton NH.  It's all aluminum and I was able to order it with some nice features.  It's going to come with a walk on roof, roof racks, and ladder.  Four windows, RV style side door with screen door, two fantastic vent fans, leveling jacks, rear barn doors, and going to have the inside come bare, no plywood to strip out when I get it so it will be ready to add insulation and finish the way I want.  Only bad part is waiting the 4-5 weeks for it to be built! But in the meantime I can figure out how I want to finish the interior.  I have two weeks to decide on where I want them to place the windows.

Attached a pic of my truck and a similar trailer.  Only difference is mine will have the windows.  

Link of the trailer company's website.
http://www.nhtrailers.com/contractor-trailer.htm

I'll keep this thread going once the trailer arrives and document my build.  Def looking forward to it!

Attachments

• 20160623_190035.jpg
    20160623_190035.jpg
    204.8 KB
  • 7x16 Silver.jpg
    7x16 Silver.jpg
    73.9 KB
Good for you.    :)   Looking forward to see what you do with it.  It's so nice to start with a blank slate instead of a tear down!                        Jewellann

Congratulations!
I bet you'll have a great time working on your trailer.
Keep posting pics.

Van Williams

That'll be great! You might inquire if factory spray foam is an option...it adds a good bit of structural strength as well...

:cool: Congrats on your choice of trailer...don't know if you found that company thru my post from December:
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-L...sert-and-forrests?page=8&highlight=nhtrailers

I will soon be sending a deposit to them as well since I just sold my current trailer (being picked up next week).
I saw my race friends last month who bought a larger Proline (8x20) and they are still quite pleased....they have two sets of folding bunks to sleep 4 plus haul 4 race karts, tools, spares, etc.

Good luck with your interior build out....should be fun.

I sorta wussed out on that decision, and will be going with the factory installed interior walls and polyiso insulation options.

:D

Just when I get satisfied about my van ~~~ :(

Real nice blank slate.  You will have fun designing and building a living space.   :D

johnny b said:
:cool: Congrats on your choice of trailer...don't know if you found that company thru my post from December:
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-L...sert-and-forrests?page=8&highlight=nhtrailers

I will soon be sending a deposit to them as well since I just sold my current trailer (being picked up next week).
I saw my race friends last month who bought a larger Proline (8x20) and they are still quite pleased....they have two sets of folding bunks to sleep 4 plus haul 4 race karts, tools, spares, etc.

Good luck with your interior build out....should be fun.

I sorta wussed out on that decision, and will be going with the factory installed interior walls and polyiso insulation options.

:D
Hi,
     Ha, I hadn't seen your post, but just took a look.  Are you close to NH?  Can't believe I never heard of this place before, they are 23 min away from my house in Maine.  I had been planning on buyng a Mission Trailer, they're made in Maine but they have a lot of negative reviews and on a lot of the forums where people were complaining about them I noticed a lot of comments telling people to check out PROLINE in nh.  One of the owners Aaron has been great, we've been going back and fourth for a few weeks via email and then finally made the trip there to see them in person and leave the deposit.  They seem like a top notch outfit.  
      I have a few years under my belt in the trades,  ten years as a cabinet maker and 5 years general construction and finish carpentry.  Haven't used my hands in four years since being disabled so it's going to be interesting to see what I can or can't still do!  I know i'll get a little frustrated but hoping experience kicks in where by body can't to get it done.  

Glad to hear someone else here has heard of them and is planning on getting one.

Will you be leaving room to carry an atv or snow machine? And it's a good looking trailer.

Congratulations!  Great combination.  One of the guys at the Winter RTR has a similar cargo trailer and has if fitted out superbly.  I sure love my Silverado!

Gunny said:
Will you be leaving room to carry an atv or snow machine?  And it's a good looking trailer.

Hi Gunny,
     I'm having trouble making that decision.  I really wanted to make some permanent cabinets/storage under the bed which will be in the back, but doing so will kill getting an ATV in.  But I am playing around with different ideas that may allow it.  I think i'll end up making the final decision as I'm building it. 

Matt

nice looking trailer. I like it except for one thing. torsion axle. torsion axles are non serviceable, torsion axles do not like off road use. if you are not going off road and can live with the non serviceable part, then you will be fine. highdesertranger

Sounds like a nice rig , maybe HDR's axle comment can be optioned in before the build begins ?

As you already know ,we share a lot of woodworking experience,.
Remember the old mantra , "A great craftsman is the one that knows how to hide his mistakes"
You'll do fine , the skill is in your head not your hands !

I have relatives in Sanford are you doing the build there ?

Hi HDR,   Most the fears with torsion axles seem to be unfounded. I own a 2010 6x10 Aluma utility trailer that sees a decent amount of Maine logging road use when transporting my ATV and i've been very satisfied with it. It's on pavement ride quality is so nice it would be hard to ever go back to a leaf spring trailer.  I figure 90% of my traveling will be on paved roads anyways, 9% on maintained dirt roads and 1% for all other types.

My biggest endorsement for torsion axle comes from the military itself.  All new military trailers 10k and under are torsion axle. (either Dexter or Alko) I don't know how they tested them, but I can guarantee they put them through more abuse than I ever will.   Airstream has been using them (Dexter) since 1961. Jurgens a 65 year old company in South Africa uses them (Alko) on all of their trailers where they have hundreds of miles of washboard dirt roads.

I think a few small companies reported that torsion axles are junk and it's spread through the internet like cancer.  True if you have a failure you have to replace the entire axle and from what i've read it's a very quick and easy process on the new ones, just a matter of swapping a few bolts if you replace it with the same one.  Most reported failures seem to be due to overloading or a crash.  There are a few bush fix methods out there if you need to repair one to limp home. 

It's one of those subjects where people have their preference where they defend it fiercely and you'd have an easier time convincing them to give you their firstborn than you would to change their axle.
      Another important thing to remember with trailers is it's a trailer.  Worst case scenario is your trailer becomes stranded not you.  Unhook it, drive away and come back with whatever you need to unstrand it.

Matt

Thanks ERLH!

Wells Cargo use(d)s them as well. Both of my cargo trailers have had them and I've bee supremely happy with them. I admittedly haven't done much in the way of rough roads although some of the highways I've had them on over the last 20 years were rougher than some of the forest service roads I used last winter.... :rolleyes:

rvpopeye said:
I have relatives in Sanford are you doing the build there ?

Hi RV,  thanks for the words of encouragement!  I think I'll be able to do a good job on it.  

Yes, I think I will do most if not all the work in Sanford.  I have a two car garage there that I can turn into a temporary workshop.   I'm on route 202 near Lebanon.  I'm still in close contact with the owner of the shop I used to work at, so I might order the plywood through him, cut it to rough size on the panel saw and bring it all up.  

I gutted the house shortly before I got sick four years ago so it's a bit like camping at the moment, but that's never slowed me down.  I have electricity and if I get a new pump for the well I'll even have running water!  Then it's luxury living.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Hi,
     Ha, I hadn't seen your post, but just took a look.  Are you close to NH?  Can't believe I never heard of this place before, they are 23 min away from my house in Maine.....

Glad to hear someone else here has heard of them and is planning on getting one.

Unfortunately, i live in the Wash. DC area & will have to plan a multi day trip to go visit their shop. i have some friends in Woodstock NY so i might try to work in a visit there as well.
I found the website just searching aluminum trailers and really liked its layout and the fact they are factory direct....i'm not too keen on dealer lot salesmen. Then i saw a race buddy (from Mass.) cruise into the pits in one (8x20) and was able to crawl under it and check it out thoroughly....they also commented favorably on working with the owners. At that point i was sold, but i still need to go 'face to face' and see their shop before plunkin down the cash. Not to mention i've never been to New England...too bad i'm allergic to lobster, though. :(

My floorplan will be very 'open' as it will be used as a toy hauler for my race stuff... :)
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Kart-Racing-photo-posting-test

Every Road Leads Home said:
     I'm having trouble making that decision.  I really wanted to make some permanent cabinets/storage under the bed which will be in the back, but doing so will kill getting an ATV in.  But I am playing around with different ideas that may allow it.  I think i'll end up making the final decision as I'm building it. 

Matt, I've been a lurker here for years (disabled with an autoimmune disease, am an armchair traveler who really, really wants to be a full timer.). When I saw these videos of a trailer build out I thought his ideas were pretty clever. He uses the same trailer for work and recreation. Perhaps if you haven't seen it already it may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTOYzuvF-8ZEF6wYGTZmIxQ

Maddy in North Dakota

MaddyND said:
Matt, I've been a lurker here for years (disabled with an autoimmune disease, am an armchair traveler who really, really wants to be a full timer.). When I saw these videos of a trailer build out I thought his ideas were pretty clever. He uses the same trailer for work and recreation. Perhaps if you haven't seen it already it may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTOYzuvF-8ZEF6wYGTZmIxQ

Maddy in North Dakota

Hi Maddy,
    Thanks for that link.  That's certainly one of the most clever "dual use" designs i've ever seen, people's imaginations never cease to amaze me!  I'm sorry to hear about your disability.  I have lyme disease that went untreated for a long time and it left me with an auto immune like condition.  I'm far from 100% and i'll be hitting the road shortly so hope that inspires you some.  Even if you only take some short trips,  I don't know of anything that's as good for the soul as a little traveling.

Welcome to the posting side of the forums Maddy.
Post an intro on the newcomers corner and let the rest of the tribe know you're here.
We'll help you with whatever you need to know.
We can all use a new friend or a bunch too.