finally bought my truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy33

Reaction score
Well its been awhile since i posted here. but i finally bought myself the truck i wanted its a 2002 ford f350 reg cab long box 2wd and a 5.4 gas motor. now my questions are dose anyone know were i can get plans on the internet to build my own truck cap/camper. Ive been looking around on kijji for used t/c but cant really afford them atm. so i figured since im a good metal fab guy and i know alot of carpenters it might be easier to just build my own. so if anyone has any sites plz post them up. thanks in advance

What Bob said. They're all over the net and easy to build. Plans areawash to modify to suit your needs.&nbsp;<br /><br />Enjoy the truck and the project. &nbsp;Just be careful of your weights. A one ton was a good choice.

Check out Glen L ... They have camper plans that you can send away for that are all inclusive. Just FWIW I checked this out in depth 5 years ago and while it's cheaper to build than buy a brand new one the cost was still in the 3-5k range if I remember right. The biggest cost being lumber followed by electrical and appliances.

I bet u could build a light weight sparsely accommodated one for cheap though if you were really clever and resourceful.

I am builing a camper for my truck and combined the design with the one from cheaprvling and the one you are looking at. Googling "homemade truck camper" and both come up right away.&nbsp; Right now I'm putting on the door(s) for the back.&nbsp; I want a 4 ft opening so I can haul large items so it will be double doors with one side bolted top and bottom unless I need to use it.<br />I like the design from cheaprvling because it allows me to continue to use the truck as a truck as well as a camper.&nbsp; I combined the designs when doing the overhead sleeping area which gave me added strength without being overly large.&nbsp; I am 5'7" so the overhead sleeping area is just wide enough for me to sleep in.&nbsp; <br />I really like how the camper rides on the truck...can't even tell&nbsp;its back there.&nbsp; Not only did I bolt the sides to the bed of the&nbsp;truck, I strapped it down.&nbsp; <br />Went camping in the rain on the 4th using a tarp for the back&nbsp;door.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm excited to get it done.&nbsp; This summer is proving not&nbsp;to be real warm here in Alaska...It was in the mid 40's and raining when camping on the 4th.&nbsp; So glad I didn't have a tent.<br />If the cord that connects the phone to the computer shows up, I'll post some pics..&nbsp; Good luck on your project...<br />Rae<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;

<p>I am able to stand up in the camper.&nbsp; That's&nbsp;a design&nbsp;I&nbsp;came up with&nbsp;myself.&nbsp; The sides are 4ft high, but I used 2x6 stock as rafters.&nbsp;&nbsp;The rafters are&nbsp;cut&nbsp;so that the very ends are thin&nbsp;where the roof boards meet the tops of the plywood sides.&nbsp; The underneath side of of the rafter is cut to peak in the center leaving only 2 inches of board in the very center.&nbsp; This gave me an additional 3 1/2 inches of head room compared to&nbsp; just using 2x4 lumber.&nbsp; Also, it helps with drainage of water off the roof.&nbsp; So yes, I can stand up and so can my daughter who is 5'10".<br />Rae</p>

One thing to keep in mind is how you're going to load and unload the camper once it's built. Unless it's awfully light, you're going to need jacks on all four corners and they cost $500+ unless you can find them used.

thx everyone for there replys ive found a used hightop truck cap for now and im in the works of buying a used camper that ill completly gut and build it with what i want inside also take the cheap aluminum sidding off and replace it with flat aluminum sheets for a seamless outer shell I keep everyone updated with my progress

That sounds great Jeremy...Can't wait to see it!<br />Rae

Gutting a used camper makes a lot of sense. Looking forward to pics<br /><br />

well found my truck camper a friend of a friend had it and the price was right (free) its old mid 80s i think and its an 8 ft'er so it will fit in my truck with the tailgate up. now i have major questions for you folks. frist anyone know a good product to seal up the roof? like something you paint on? and second that reflex insolation will it still radieate heat back into the camper if its covered with plywood? or do you need the shiny visable? I plan on guting this camper to the studs installing 1 1/2 inch foam insolation then a layer of that reflex stuff then cover it all up in 1/4 inch plywood. any suggestion or concrens with my idea plz reply i only want to do this once lol