Starting my SUV build, currently living in Baja California, Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinypaws

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have been following Bob's channel for quite some time, but only recently joined the forum. I've been watching a lot of videos of build outs and tours. I've been especially interested in SUV builds, and also mini-van and truck canopy/shell builds since they have a similar space. I've got a 96 Isuzu Rodeo. I've done a bit of camping in it, with my two dogs. But I'm kicking around ideas for a build which will give me a lot more storage space so that I don't have to store anything on the front seats or outside at night.

I'm currently thinking about putting down plywood as a floor so I have an even surface, and something warmer than the Rodeo's metal floor. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for insulating beneath the plywood?

I was hoping that there would be a dedicated SUV forum, but there's not. Where are most of the SUV related posts being posted? In Cars or Trucks or somewhere else?

I'd love to see photos or videos of other SUV dwellers builds of anyone wants to share.

Welcome tinypaws to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Thank you highdesertranger! I'll check out the post you mentioned and I love your rules, they totally fit with my modus operandi in the world at large, and those are the kind of people I want to be around. I think this is a wonderful community and this forum in a wealth of information and inspiration. I'm looking forward to spending more time here.

Tiny paws I’ve been wanting to go to Baja for the winter for years. Yet again, I didn’t make it this year. Any tips?

tinypaws said:
I'm currently thinking about putting down plywood as a floor so I have an even surface, and something warmer than the Rodeo's metal floor. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for insulating beneath the plywood?
EVA foam makes a good thermal break. It is also deadens sound. The simplest place to find it in a large sized sheet, ie rolls, is at stores where they sell the laminate click together flooring. It is used between that plank flooring and the sub floor to add a little bit of insulation but mostly for sound deadening so the people on the floor below don't get driven nuts. EVA foam is a closed cell foam product meaning it won't absorb water and that is an important feature for a material that goes into a van build.