Fiberglass high top renovation DIY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e150travisbeege

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've had my 2006 E150 for a couple years now and have been planning my build out. Thanks for all your great ideas! 

I just bought a fiberglass high top off an ice cream van from the junkyard. It is in pretty good shape. It has holes in the bottom edge where the screws/rivets held it on. Advice for sealing holes? The window on either side could use new weather stripping.

Any recommendations for adding strength or integrity to the inside? More fiberglass? I've seen wood added like furring strips. I do plan on having solar panels on top and maybe an A/C unit. Whats the best plan for strength and integrity?

I've included pictures of the high top. Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!
IMG_3233.JPGIMG_3228.JPGIMG_3229.JPGIMG_3236.JPGIMG_3240.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3240.JPG
    IMG_3240.JPG
    143.2 KB
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    127 KB
  • IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    111.8 KB
  • IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    148.2 KB
  • IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    110.8 KB
why do you want to fill the mounting holes? use them to remount the top. where the window seals to the fiber glass you need to take the window out, clean both surfaces then reinstall the window with new butyl tape. note RV butyl tape has a life expectancy of 10 years, marine butyl tape 20 years. it also appears the window gimp needs replacing. I have never done this anybody here with any experience with replacing the window gimp? highdesertranger

Not sure I'd put an A/C unit on top... just because I've never read anything good about them :-D

Nice score, though!! I see folks recommend getting a high top from the junk yard, but I think you're the first I've seen who actually did it!

Nice score!  Cool that it's already cut for a fan or A/C.  I think HighDesertRanger pretty much said it.  Feel free to make yourself welcome in the Newcomer's Corner and introduce yourself.  I think you'll find that there is a wealth of helpful advice and knowledge here that will help you along your build, and don't forget to keep us posted on the progress.  Good luck, Cotton

Fiberglassing wood is okay for places you need to mount or attach things, but remember it is the outside layers of fiberglass that form a box around the wood that makes it strong and ridged. You are basically making fiberglass tubing. I have used 1" rope along the outside edges of fiberglass fenders encased in fiberglass for added strength, if your worried about flexing 1" rope glassed in makes really strong ribs