Female Documentary Filmmaker at RTR this year :-)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reno said:
CityWoman/tx2sturgis:

One or both of you should be giving a seminar at the RTR on how to make compelling, consise videos. This seminar should be mandatory for all attendees with a YT channel :) !

Haha! As for myself, I'm not on the road yet. And when I do get out there (hopefully sometime next year), it is highly unlikely that I would attend any RTR, since wilderness or desert boondocking holds absolutely zero appeal to me. I will be an urban-and-small-town nomad.

There are plenty of online resources and groups to join (for a fee) for people who really want to make quality media or something akin to real filmmaking, but, alas, most people on YouTube just want to put out something melodramatic or sensationalistic to get views and make dollars. Since shooting on a phone and editing with some low-end free program makes it all seem easy, they don't have a clue about the art of editing - and it truly is an art form. That is why I rarely ever watch YT videos. The filmmaker in me just cringes.

Sorry that I started venting. But I really just wanted to say thank you for the compliment.

CityWoman said:
 That is why I rarely ever watch YT videos.  The filmmaker in me just cringes.

Yep...I'm no filmmaker but I admire it from afar...I have been lucky enough to watch how production works on scene, but have no knowledge of the nitty-gritty of it all.

I like some of the stuff on Vimeo, it tends to raise the bar for online video...but some of it is just so low key, high-brow, and/or artsy craftsy that I get burned out in a hurry...

I'm just a blue-collar kinda guy...beer and no champagne please!

:cool:

tx2sturgis said:
I'm just a blue-collar kinda guy...beer and no champagne please!

:cool:
As Jed Clampett might say " Well doogie, I thought you were a truck driver, just like that fella I see on the tv."

Just Kidding, Texas. But it would be cool if you did a few you tube videos. Maybe you might consider dusting off the old video editing machine and give it a try at RTR 2018?  :idea:

Paige, the woman we are discussing at last years RTR, is an Emmy award-winning documentarian. At her advanced level the editing process takes years sometimes to wade through all the footage and turn it into something that can win awards.