Feeling Overwhelmed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisamac

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been researching van dwelling for quite some time now. Tons of reading, watching hours of YouTube, listening to podcasts, researching pricing for stuff and still trying to find the "right" van.The problem is that I feel like I've researched too much and am totally overwhelmed by all the info on vans, solar setup, things needed on the road, boondocking, tips, do's and don'ts, workamping, etc etc etc. (By the way, I have been known to over-think things!) I'm to the point of feeling like I know less than I did in the beginning and it makes me want to throw my hands up because I feel like I am like a dog just chasing it's tail (speaking of which, I have a dog to consider so that's even more info I have to research). Have any of you all felt that way, especially getting started out in the beginning? Should I step totally away from the idea for now to clear my head? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like a case of analysis paralysis.

I am prone to this, and I find that the one step at a time, one day at a time thing is necessary to prevent anxiety and frustration from causing black thoughts and moods and depression.

Also Exercise. I have the clearest thought patterns after a good surf session( actual surfing, not just clicking internet links), the ability to see things from a completely different perspective.

The analysis does not have to lead to paralysis. Make lists and outlines on topics that with you wish to investigate further, and try to keep from cross contamination of ideas/subjects until later when higher confidence makes them less paralyzing

I think it's perfectly normal, because when you begin the journey you really have no idea what you don't know. The more you learn, the more you realize how much more there is to learn.

When you factor in the complexity of each decision potentially causing a snowball effect (or wrecking ball at times) on prior decisions, it definitely can feel like you're going backwards.

Try to make some firm choices, perhaps starting with a vehicle type. Post on the forums about what you want to do, how you want to accomplish it, and what you think you'll buy to make it happen...everything from electric and water, to cooking and seating. Work through the responses and don't get discouraged if someone comes across as negative. The forum is a great resource, but you need to get out of your head and start using it to get the full benefit.

Good luck :)

SternWake said:
Sounds like a case of analysis paralysis.

I am prone to this, and I find that the one step at a time, one day at a time thing is necessary to prevent anxiety and frustration from causing black thoughts and moods and depression.

Also Exercise.  I have the clearest thought patterns after a good surf session( actual surfing, not just clicking internet links), the ability to see things from a completely different perspective.

The analysis does not have to lead to paralysis.  Make lists and outlines on topics that with you wish to investigate further, and try to keep from cross contamination of ideas/subjects until later when higher confidence makes them less paralyzing

Thank you. "Cross contamination of ideas/subjects" definitely describes how it feels.  I need to organize my thoughts on paper to help me control the flow.

I totally agree on the exercise. I take walk throughout the day to clear my head. I'm up to averaging 6 miles a day now if that tells you anything. 

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions. It means a lot!

BradKW said:
I think it's perfectly normal, because when you begin the journey you really have no idea what you don't know. The more you learn, the more you realize how much more there is to learn.

When you factor in the complexity of each decision potentially causing a snowball effect (or wrecking ball at times) on prior decisions, it definitely can feel like you're going backwards.

Try to make some firm choices, perhaps starting with a vehicle type. Post on the forums about what you want to do, how you want to accomplish it, and what you think you'll buy to make it happen...everything from electric and water, to cooking and seating. Work through the responses and don't get discouraged if someone comes across as negative. The forum is a great resource, but you need to get out of your head and start using it to get the full benefit.

Good luck   :)
It sure feels better to know others understand where I am in my head right now (maybe more so than even I do).  I definitely need to get out of my head and focus on action a more. Your words and suggestions are a great help!

Lisa! Welcome to the CRVL forums! You don't need everything when you hit the road. Start with the basics: a van, a bed and a cooler.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

When I started into this stuff there was no internet.  I was a poor college kid with an old Van.   I had a Rand McNally Campground Atlas.  There weren't even Cell Phones like we have today.   So the data crunch wasn't
so toxic. 

In the first link in my signatures you will see how I went about setting up my van for week end camping and day trips to nearby Big Cities.   Just a bed,  a kitchenette, and ice chest.  Most of the time I didn't try to cook food but rather made sandwiches and had cold soda and cold pasta salads I could stow in the ice chest.  I could stop and make simple sandwich lunches and dinners.  For breakfast it was cheaper to buy it at McDonalds.

If I went on the road when school was out during the summer,  I could use the camp ground atlas to find places to stay over night.  Many of these had bath houses, laundry coin op's,  and the like.

It was just that simple back then,  and if anyone wanted to do it that way again today they could.  As you enter each state there is usually a Tourist Information Center where you can get all kinds of info.  If you know how to use a computer but don't have one, you can visit a Public Library and show your drivers license and they will most likely all you to  use one of their public computers.  There you could look up the websites listed in the State publications and print out any info you would like to use in your travels through the State.

As for all of the equipment you are reading about,  Solar,  House Batteries,  Generators,  heating & A/C,  etc
you may not really need that stuff to rough camp and travel.  

If you started out early in the morning you could stop at McDonalds for breakfast and watch a TV there to get the news & weather report.  Use the restroom while there and then get on the road.    Stop my a discount Grocery Store and get some Ice and sandwich stuff and go on  your way.   Stop somewhere and
fix some sandwiches and relax for a bit before driving on.   By about 2pm start looking for a place to spend the night or at least a few hours to take a nap.  If it is miserable hot,  park at a Walmart and go in and shop around the store in the air conditioning until dark.   Buy and read a newspaper or magazine.  Often there are
McDonalds in the Walmarts and if you buy a drink,  you can refill it several times.  Then go back to your Van
and bed down for the night.

All of these extras you read about are things people with skills have designed and devised to make their lives easier in camp and prolong their stays away from "civilization".   Some people are into that. 

Others you read here speak of a minimalist life with few possessions where each item gives multiple uses.
So they get a lot of benefits from a few handy things. 

The choice of how you would like to live is up to you.  Not all of us go on the road like we are going to
homestead.   The choice of how you travel is yours.  So just relax and slowly absorb info and you'll do just fine.   ;)

I think the best anyone can do is to set a goal, and work towards that goal, in steps. You don't need to get all of it done tomorrow.
By the time you need to get something done, you will know what that is and why.
If you are going to live out of a vehicle, decide what is your preference. car, van, truck, boat, airplane, trailer, Class A, B or C etc.
Then decide what you need to have in it to live.
Some people live out of a backpack and travel the world. So it is more about wants than necessities. Just figure out what YOU want. Nevermind about others wish list. Some will say you need a refrigerator, but probably hundreds do not have one. Same with Solar, Air Conditioning, generators, or whatever. It is all about your comfort level and circumstances. If you boondock next to a 24 hour gym, and have a membership, you probably don't need a shower etc. If You are someone who only eats raw food, you don't need a stove.
Tell us what you would need in order to survive.

I'm the same way.  I'll research something to death until I'm sick of the idea and move on to something else.  

I opted to handle it by buying cheap.  An old Class C lets me learn RV systems, spend some time in campgrounds and parks in total comfort and after two or three years I can sell it for about what I paid for it.  I've learned what I like and don't like about RVs, what I would change and what I would keep in my current rig.
Now I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a van.  If I buy an older van for little money, I can try out a few build options, do some local trips and see what works and what doesn't.  If/when the van craps out, I can move all my built components, solar, batteries, etc. into a new one.

Remember that you don't have to get it right the first time.  In fact, I'd wager that most folks don't - there's always an evolution of needs and ideas.  Try something and if it doesn't work for you, try something else.   Just don't stretch your resources so thin that you lose your options.

Welcome aboard the good ship CRVL Lisa !

This is a HUGE subject to absorb . Just take it in little bites and you'll eventually eat the whole "elephant"!

I ran into that feeling as I immersed myself in my Audio Engineering career , as I learned more and more I would get to a point that I thought I was close to knowing everything there was,,,,,

then I would find out about another aspect of the craft that I had no idea existed ,so I started over learning about that,,,,

then a new technology was introduced and I found something else that I needed to learn about.....

This kept happening for over 25years till I retired from it all.

Well' not quite , I still get one of the trade magazines that I read to keep up on the new stuff (at one point I got 7 trades per month !!)

There's no such thing as a "KnowItAll"(though some feel that they do,I won't get into that !)

Nobody knows everything about the vandwelling life,,,,,you just need to know enough to get started and then every day will bring something new ! Not so hard if you look at it that way....Happy Trails

Are you trying to force yourself into something you really don't want to do?Maybe you should step back and re-evaluate.

The choice of how you would like to live is up to you.  Not all of us go on the road like we are going to
homestead.   The choice of how you travel is yours.  So just relax and slowly absorb info and you'll do just fine.   ;)
[/quote]
You don't KNOW how much it helped to have you simplify a day's activities example. It really help me to put things back into perspective. I need to focus on getting on the road for "a while" instead of "for a lifetime". Thank you so much!

DannyB1954 said:
Tell us what you would need in order to survive.

I'm definitely looking at a van, preferably a high top. Big enough for my dog and me but small enough to park anywhere and easy enough to drive. I've lived in studio apartments, 1 bedroom garage apartments, and renting spare rooms so I'm used to small spaces and not much stuff (been in a 150 sq ft room for three years now). I haven't had cable TV in years but I do want internet as much as possible so finding access to that is important. I do not have any problem entertaining myself with reading or going to parks. I'm not into my cell phone and go days without even using it. My biggest concerns are the logistics with traveling with a dog (during heat and cold) but would be able to stay at a campground with electric for a few days here and there if absolutely necessary. I'm pretty low maintenance myself. My dog....not so much.  :-/

I want to be able to be on the road for a while and see all the things I've wanted to see while I'm healthy enough and before my folks get to the point of needing assistance. I'm looking at possibly on the road for 8-9 months and back near family for 3 months (find seasonal job to replenish money) then repeat.

I keep waiting for the "perfect" time or to have "everything" I need or "someone" to do it with. I know if I wait for everything to be "totally ready" I may never pursue my dream of traveling.

I need to break down the process into smaller goals instead of the BIG goal. I think you are right about that for sure. I will never obtain the big goal if I never make progress to the smaller ones. Thank you!

lisamac said:
 My biggest concerns are the logistics with traveling with a dog (during heat and cold) but would be able to stay at a campground with electric for a few days here and there if absolutely necessary. I'm pretty low maintenance myself. My dog....not so much.  :-/

Remember that dogs are generally welcome in pet related businesses.  PetSmart has air conditioned stores all across the country :)  A few laps around the aisles might get you both through the hottest part of the day, and you may find other options by talking to the employees.

I know exactly how you feel OP. The conversion is like building a house, except even more complex because you can't just hook up water and sewer and nothing is standardized.

I'm nearing the end of my conversion and I'm nervous too... mainly that something electrical won't work or one of my pieces of equipment breaks, especially mid travel.

This may help you but maybe you should have backup systems to put your mind at ease- I have a large battery bank if I can't run my generator, then stand-alone sources like AAA-powered LEDs if my battery bank fails. I have a spray bottle and automotive hot water kettle if my shower system breaks, and a 5 gallon bucket and trash bags if my fancy toilet breaks.

I know it's a little OCD but I'm thinking about getting a waterproof webcam to mount outside so I can monitor trouble. Eventually though I'm just gonna need to relax and crawl into bed... so a little bit of moonshine might be the best antidote you can bring ;)

I say don't sweat the small stuff, my passion for freedom is too great. If you have a roof over your head (van, car, tent), an income, the rest just falls into place. Your Spirit is still caged (based on what I read in your post)............go for it!...........face your fears head on. (just saying)

Svenn said:
This may help you but maybe you should have backup systems to put your mind at ease- I have a large battery bank if I can't run my generator, then stand-alone sources like AAA-powered LEDs if my battery bank fails.  I have a spray bottle and automotive hot water kettle if my shower system breaks, and a 5 gallon bucket and trash bags if my fancy toilet breaks.  

I know it's a little OCD but I'm thinking about getting a waterproof webcam to mount outside so I can monitor trouble.  Eventually though I'm just gonna need to relax and crawl into bed... so a little bit of moonshine might be the best antidote you can bring ;)

Hahaha! I knew I was leaving something off the list! :D

My god YES! So glad to see this because I am suffering from the same dilemma.  I'm 54 yrs old and will be a solo woman traveler and I have 4 dogs, 3 of them large so I get that too. I will be purchasing my van in the spring of this coming year. I understand exactly how you feel but please whatever you do DON'T give up on your dream. First off, one dog is a slam dunk, so get that worry out of your head immediately! Ok now one less thing to worry about.. YAY! 

Secondly, get off the net and sit down with a pad and pencil, write down all of YOUR requirements, including financial. This will give you a good idea if the type van you should be looking at getting in accordance to YOUR specific requirements. TRUST THYSELF and don't go by the requirements of others. For me, I've decided on an extended cargo van which will also serve as my "daily driver". Yes they are big bulky gas hogs but I wont be driving it a whole lot as I have an electric bicycle with a folding trailer and I will always be within close riding distance to the nearest town so unless it's raining, this will be my main mode of transport. Then before hitting it full time I will be getting a TAG Max teardrop pod type trailer with a kitchen in the back of it rather than towing my car because I have extensive storage needs (crafter) and having a sleeper with a kitchen will allow for a LOT of extra storage in the van in addition to extra living space and another place for the dogs and I to chill, in addition to being a great place for the dogs to hang when I'm gone as it have excellent AC and will be plugged in so no worries about the AC going down. I'll also eventually be getting the 10x10 tent that attaches to the teardrop so we will have plenty of room when parked. All of this is doable. For ME this is the perfect configuration, but it will need to be done in phases. I may change my mind at some point about certain aspects of this configuration as my requirements change or I find out I don't need everything I thought I needed. I won't know until I actually get out there and do it.

Once your have decided on the van you want and made your purchase, take a year and do a bunch of dry runs. Scary but once you get into the grove you'll wonder why you waited so long! It is of course always a good idea to have a generator on hand for dry camping if you're going to be doing extensive traveling as you may not always be able to find a spot with a hook-up. This can be another scary prospect but again no biggy.  

So my suggestion to you is to get that pad and pencil out and start writing! You will be surprised at how quickly it will begin to come together for you!
Hope this helps. ;-)

I have many friends who are van dwellers and it's so much safer then you would think, even if you are traveling solo. Start with smaller trips. You will be fine. :)

I've been in very similar circumstance for a few months now myself. Fo me I haven't been pining for the lifestyle for a long time, but come to realize my situation kind of merits it. I too, have spend countless hours scouring over all of the you-tube channels, and this blog and forum, and many others as well. I started researching a van and then a couple of weeks ago found one that I thought I would go take a look at just to see... Well, as it turns out I traded my car there and then and drove away with it! That definitely helped to motivate me! Now I have been more active in actually designing what I want and how I will do it... starting to order parts and enlisting a couple of friends to help with the build out.

So, for me anyway, the way to get out of my "thinking about it stage" was to just jump in! I am even more excited now every time I make a decision moving forward. I'm still not sure if it the "right" thing to do... but it is "something" to do, and I'll not be any worse off than I am now no matter the outcome!

I think what some of us need isn't so much the technical help... but the moral support!