Feeling Overwhelmed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RadagastTheBrown said:
So my suggestion to you is to get that pad and pencil out and start writing! You will be surprised at how quickly it will begin to come together for you!
Hope this helps. ;-)
That helps more than you KNOW! It really sounds like you have been smart in thinking your plans out. I just need to step back, breathe, and, like you said, write it down (like another poster said...get out of my head).  And the way you put it is so encouraging.  :rolleyes:  You gave me a new breath of fresh air. Thank you so much!

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do with your dogs if you to into town on your bike?

rtb111 said:
I think what some of us need isn't so much the technical help... but the moral support!
Most definitely! Moral support is huge. I think I'm going to be in the same boat as you and have to get over the hump with the first step then the rest will be set into motion. As far as knowing if it is the "right" thing to do, I totally understand. But bottom line for me is....am i truly happy now? NO  If I don't do this, will I always wonder "what if"? YES. Now I need to just kick myself to go from thinking about it to taking some action. I would rather fail than regret not trying.

HA!  I was probably roaming and living in a van around the time eDJ was doing it.  The Rand McNalley and some campground guides from AAA was all I had.

As others have suggested, you need to start slow.  The first time you ever saw water larger than a bathub, you didn't just jump in, did you?  If this is all new to you -- and it sounds like it is -- make a list of what you would need for a weekend camping trip without having to stop to buy something.  You need a vehicle, a place to sleep,  the simplest way to cook/heat food and water, maybe a simple toilet.  

You could sleep on a chaise lounge mat, or even on three skinned foam sofa cushions (discards) wrapped with an old sheet (thrift shop) and pinned with safety pins.  Lay it on the floor and sleep there.  You'll quickly discover that sleeping on the floor wastes a ton of space.  See, you're learning things already! :D

You could make a hobo stove from a tin can.  It's okay for the basics, like heating up canned food and Ramen soup, and coffee/tea/cocoa.  And you'll learn that cooking on the ground is a real PITA.  KNOWLEDGE!  Also take a smaller pot and a larger pot.  You can heat water in the larger pot for doing the dishes or bathing.  Don't forget to take some matches, and for certain kinds of cans, a can opener.

A simple toilet could be a bucket with a plastic bag in it.  But for pretty cheap, you could get a clip-on toilet seat w/lid like a LuggableLoo from a sporting goods store for about $12-15, and get a new 5-gallon HomeDepot bucket ($3) to put it on.  DO NOT use old, brittle sun-damaged buckets for toilets!  If you have access to some sawdust (old or new, dry or damp), put it in another HD bucket (preferably with a lid for storage.  Put a plastic bag in the toilet bucket, add about 3 or 4" of sawdust, and use it.  Whenever you can see anything above the sawdust, cover it with a couple handsful of sawdust.  This kind of toilet smells less than a flush toilet.  Don't forget the TP!

Bathing:  heat about a quart of water until warm -- all you need is about a quart.  Add 1 tbsp baking soda and mix, then use to take a bird bath.  Start with your face and work down.  Dry.  No rinsing is needed, the mix cuts oil, cleanses and deodorizes.

Always carry several gallons of water.  The clear plastic jugs seem sturdier than the milky kind, which seem to leak suddenly for no reason.  Some campgrounds don't have water.  Some don't have a toilet.

Have a spare vehicle key and wear it around your neck.  Sooner or later, you're probably going to lock yourself out -- probably in the least convenient place on the planet.

Take a decent flashlight and some dog food (and bowls). 

The more time you spend on the road and in the 'wild', you'll discover what you need and what you don't.  Don't spend a lot of money on complicated things.  Beware of what guys tell you that you "need". :dodgy:   Some of them will spend all of your money if you let them.

You're used to living small.  Keep it up.

What got me out the door for my first long trip ( which ended up being 4 months) was a deadline. I was determined to go to the 2015 Rubber tramp rendezvous. I left in a rush with my best guess at what would work well. My clothes in nylon sail bags, my food in cardboard boxes, a hammock hanging off the van doors. I had not driven the van (1991 dodge) more than 200 miles and I didn't know if it would make it. I didn't know if I would like the desert and like camping that long. I didn't really know how long I was would be gone.

And it was all ok. The important thing is to be out there. Everything else is fixable. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Good enough is good enough.

You can do this. All of us here are rooting for you.

I have to remind myself ( not stopping on the analysis phase ) of this periodically. Frequently. Thank you for reminding me.

So Van it is. You can buy a van with a high top already on it, (unless you are very short a lot of the raised roof vans are still not tall enough to stand up in), or put one on at a later time. So now to decide what type of van. There are small ones like the Chevy Astro, and full size. If you are a minimalist, a 1/2 ton may be enough, but if you want a fully equipped van a 3/4 ton is a better choice. Water tanks, batteries, generators, solar panels, clothes, food, cooking and storing gear, cabinets etc, all add weight. There are short or extended vans. Will you be wanting to tow a trailer maybe later? It is all based on your comfort level. Some live out of a backpack and travel the world. To start, a bed and a place to put a camp stove is a good place to start.
I have seen people buy used furniture from a thrift store, then modify it to fit the van, (cut off the legs, make room for the wheel wells etc). Milk crates with bungee cords works as well. A camping cot or Hammock might do for a bed.

TrainChaser said:
HA!  I was probably roaming and living in a van around the time eDJ was doing it.  The Rand McNalley and some campground guides from AAA was all I had.

As others have suggested, you need to start slow.  The first time you ever saw water larger than a bathub, you didn't just jump in, did you?  If this is all new to you -- and it sounds like it is -- make a list of what you would need for a weekend camping trip without having to stop to buy something.  You need a vehicle, a place to sleep,  the simplest way to cook/heat food and water, maybe a simple toilet.  

You could sleep on a chaise lounge mat, or even on three skinned foam sofa cushions (discards) wrapped with an old sheet (thrift shop) and pinned with safety pins.  Lay it on the floor and sleep there.  You'll quickly discover that sleeping on the floor wastes a ton of space.  See, you're learning things already! :D

You could make a hobo stove from a tin can.  It's okay for the basics, like heating up canned food and Ramen soup, and coffee/tea/cocoa.  And you'll learn that cooking on the ground is a real PITA.  KNOWLEDGE!  Also take a smaller pot and a larger pot.  You can heat water in the larger pot for doing the dishes or bathing.  Don't forget to take some matches, and for certain kinds of cans, a can opener.

A simple toilet could be a bucket with a plastic bag in it.  But for pretty cheap, you could get a clip-on toilet seat w/lid like a LuggableLoo from a sporting goods store for about $12-15, and get a new 5-gallon HomeDepot bucket ($3) to put it on.  DO NOT use old, brittle sun-damaged buckets for toilets!  If you have access to some sawdust (old or new, dry or damp), put it in another HD bucket (preferably with a lid for storage.  Put a plastic bag in the toilet bucket, add about 3 or 4" of sawdust, and use it.  Whenever you can see anything above the sawdust, cover it with a couple handsful of sawdust.  This kind of toilet smells less than a flush toilet.  Don't forget the TP!

Bathing:  heat about a quart of water until warm -- all you need is about a quart.  Add 1 tbsp baking soda and mix, then use to take a bird bath.  Start with your face and work down.  Dry.  No rinsing is needed, the mix cuts oil, cleanses and deodorizes.

Always carry several gallons of water.  The clear plastic jugs seem sturdier than the milky kind, which seem to leak suddenly for no reason.  Some campgrounds don't have water.  Some don't have a toilet.

Have a spare vehicle key and wear it around your neck.  Sooner or later, you're probably going to lock yourself out -- probably in the least convenient place on the planet.

Take a decent flashlight and some dog food (and bowls). 

The more time you spend on the road and in the 'wild', you'll discover what you need and what you don't.  Don't spend a lot of money on complicated things.  Beware of what guys tell you that you "need". :dodgy:   Some of them will spend all of your money if you let them.

You're used to living small.  Keep it up.

Wow. So much advice and great points here! The spare key around your neck is an awesome idea. My brain hadn't thought about that possibility. I guess that just goes to prove I need to concentrate on the small and necessary stuff first and foremost. That was and a-ha :idea: (well duh !) moment for me.  
I didn't realize there was a difference in water jugs. That's good to know.
I've been in situations to have to do the ol' bucket toilet or just go outside (I guess those rough times are paying off now).
You're post has really helped.
Thanks for the encouragement and the knowledge!

DannyB1954 said:
So Van it is. You can buy a van with a high top already on it, (unless you are very short a lot of the raised roof vans are still not tall enough to stand up in), or put one on at a later time. So now to decide what type of van. There are small ones like the Chevy Astro, and full size. If you are a minimalist, a 1/2 ton may be enough, but if you want a fully equipped van a 3/4 ton is a better choice.  Water tanks, batteries, generators,  solar panels, clothes, food, cooking and storing gear, cabinets etc, all add weight. There are short or extended vans. Will you be wanting to tow a trailer maybe later? It is all based on your comfort level. Some live out of a backpack and travel the world. To start, a bed and a place to put a camp stove is a good place to start.
I have seen people buy used furniture from a thrift store, then modify it to fit the van, (cut off the legs, make room for the wheel wells etc). Milk crates with bungee cords works as well. A camping cot or Hammock might do for a bed.

I've been looking at different vans sizes. I don't want one too big or long. I want to be able to drive traffic and park almost anywhere. From the sounds of it, I would probably prefer 3/4 ton so I have more room to grow if I choose to. I don't really want to pull a trailer. I have pulled small trailers in the past but did not like doing that at all so that probably will not come into play. The problem is finding one that isn't too expensive or has been run to death. If I'm going to spend too much on the van itself, I might as well get a class b or c at the same price with everything already in place. My goal is a van at a great price that I can do a very minimal retro-fit in.
Furniture and accessories...I'm a yard sale/thrift store/bargain hunt junkie so I am actively on the look out for anything that might serve as something useful.
Thanks so  much for helping me walk through this process!

towhee said:
What got me out the door for my first long trip ( which ended up being 4 months) was a deadline. I was determined to go to the 2015 Rubber tramp rendezvous. I left in a rush with my best guess at what would work well. My clothes in nylon sail bags, my food in cardboard boxes, a hammock hanging off the van doors. I had not driven the van (1991 dodge) more than 200 miles and I didn't know if it would make it. I didn't know if I would like the desert and like camping that long. I didn't really know how long I was would be gone.

And it was all ok. The important thing is to be out there. Everything else is fixable. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Good enough is good enough.

You can do this. All of us here are rooting for you.

I have to remind myself  ( not stopping on the analysis phase ) of this periodically. Frequently. Thank you for reminding me.

Ironically, I was thinking along those same lines (the rendezvous being my goal).  I don't think I will be quite as brave as you as far as trusting a vehicle that soon but hopefully will have one a little while in advance and hoping to do some dry runs close to home as some of the others suggested such I'm such a worrier and not ready to just jump out of the nest (at least not yet anyhow. That could change!)
I love that sentence though...."Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I need to remember that now and in so many aspects of life! 
Thank you!

I just came over to offer support.. and ... ?? lol... you know.. misery loves company! ;0 (Not really.. I just thought the best way out of my own little worries, is to see if I can help someone else) But you've gotten great responses!

You'll be FINE! Go for it!

And be sure to get any prospective rig inspected by a mechanic you trust. If you don't have one now, start prospecting among friends and acqaintances.

You can set up Craigslist to notify you when a new add is posted that meets your search requirements. The good deals go fast, so knowing about them right away gives you a better chance. Here is a video that will walk you through the process.

cherterr said:
I just came over to offer support.. and ... ?? lol... you know.. misery loves company! ;0  (Not really.. I just thought the best way out of my own little worries, is to see if I can help someone else)  But you've gotten great responses!

You'll be FINE!  Go for it!

Thank u! I'll take it! You are so awesome!

DannyB1954 said:
You can set up Craigslist to notify you when a new add is posted that meets your search requirements. The good deals go fast, so knowing about them right away gives you a better chance. Here is a video that will walk you through the process.

Thank u! How much luck have you all had with Craigslist? I'v seen so many obvious scams I'm hesitant.

lisamac said:
Furniture and accessories...I'm a yard sale/thrift store/bargain hunt junkie so I am actively on the look out for anything that might serve as something useful.
Thanks so  much for helping me walk through this process!

ME TOO    :D  And I also dumpster dive and "roadside" shop.  I converted my best guy friend the day I called and said   "I'm behind Golds Gym.  In the dumpster there is a 2 tiered red and black rolling tool box here, do you want it? O.K. bring your brother and we'll put it in my truck"  It was along wait  and I didn't have a luggable loo or a bucket, I did have a blue tarp and I was parked REAL close to the dumpster so I made myself a 4 sided out house Truck/door/dumpster/tarp.....Hey when a girls gotta p a girls gotta p and I wasn't leaving my find unguarded!!!  

It always amazes me what some people kick to the curb.. A lot of people curb shop and many home owners place things very neatly on the curb.   I NEVER MAKE A MESS AND IF  ANYONE IS OUTSIDE i ALWAYS ASK POLITELY IF THEY MIND IF i RUMMAGE AROUND.  IT'S NEVER A PROBLEM AND THEY OFTEN OFFER TO LOAD STUFF IN MY TRUCK.  mY FRIENDS, FAMILY. AND NEIGHBORS OFTEN ASK ME TO BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR CERTAIN THINGS.  Many of my finds are earmarked for a build of some kind I just don't know what at this time.   

Good luck in finding the perfect home on wheels for you.   Jewellann

lisamac said:
Thank u! How much luck have you all had with Craigslist? I'v seen so many obvious scams I'm hesitant.

Several things can happen with Craigslist. My overall experience has been positive, but there are things that can go bad.  If the seller gets a lot of calls, they may pull their add and raise the price later. If the vehicle can not be viewed I walk away. No stories accepted. No title, no deal. No too good to be true either. It could be a complete rip off. Always meet where it is safe for you. Many cities now have safe zones for trading.  If I was to sell a vehicle, that is probably where I would list it.
But then I have had bad deals out of a used car lot as well.

Having a really nice dining room set that could set up the interior of a step van or box truck in a gypsy vardo theme, I spent a lot of time looking online, scanning papers, walking car and truck dealer lots, visiting curbstoners who are either not actually the real owner (and are 'acting for the real owner who is busy/out of state') or have been 'fixing up' vans or trucks for 'a little side money', and ultimately not finding any vehicles that felt reliable enough for the price. Then got to thinking about rental car companies that sell off their cars- cars that get scheduled maintenance and inspections, come with various kinds of guarantees depending on the company, and have reasonable market pricing.  So I looked to see if box trucks or step vans were sold from fleets.  

Turns out there are a few, like UHaul (https://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/) and Penske (http://www.penskeusedtrucks.com/fleet-sales.html).  The largest comments about what to watch for are the few local dealers that are not completely honest (or AWARE of actual condition), high mileage vehicles with unexpected problems, and/or unresolved disputes with the company itself.  Might not be anything worth messing with near you, during the time you want it, but just wanted to share another way to go for you.  

Nice thing about a truck, you can take your time with conversion- just adding to it here and there as you go, and if you shopped well and got the vehicle at a good price you have a decent shot at getting most or all of the money back if you decide to try a different vehicle.  Don't forget an inpection of your OWN by a mechanic that's known by freinds or family, or otherwise has a good reputation.

All that said, it was actually a freind who found a good deal for me, and that turned out to be the best way to go. This was a few months ago.  Haven't met any of the folks here yet, but it sure sounds like they share good leads and give good advice. So if you've not found anything that is just right for YOU just yet and the hunting gets to wear you down, save yourself some shoe leather and check out the fleet sales websites - and the postings on this forum.  More reasonably priced leads than any other RV site I've seen so far.

Best wishes to you.  Looking forward to meeting you (and everybody else!) at the Rendezvous!

PS- if anybody wants a walnut chippendale dining room table, sideboard, cabinet and chairs that would be a good start to tricking out a boxtruck, there's a good deal to be had!

Txjaybird said:
I wasn't leaving my find unguarded!!!  

Bahahaa! I SO understand the guarding a good find. I will stand over something at a yard sale (if I can't carry it). Even if they  put a sold sign on it to hold it for me, I still stay with it! No way am I giving someone a chance to take that sign off! lol!

Latest posts