Feeling Overwhelmed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vacilador said:
Thanks for that lead. I hadn't thought of that but will definitely check that out.

And, yes, there have been some great people with some great advice and support. I'm finding it to be a great community. It just makes me want to get out there even more so I can meet some of these awesome people! Hopefully I will at the RTR.

Welcome aboard Vacilador!
Thanks for helping out.
Start an intro thread on Newcomer's Corner and share your experiences (and pics of your rig!)
so everybody gets a chance to welcome you and check out your truckhome.

On rental cars, I think it is impossible to figure out where the vehicle has been. In places like Hawaii, they cycle out the cars before the body starts rusting through from the salt air. I don't think I would want something that comes out of the rust belt of the continental States either.

In some states , (like mine, Nevada), it is difficult to get insurance on a DIY commercial vehicle. I would suggest taking the VIN number and shopping for insurance. You could take the VIN off of a different vehicle, as long as it was the same type.

That's a great point. Especially getting shopping for insurance using vin of another vehicle if needed. I use progressive right now so it would be easy enough to get an estimate

I know this statement is contentious, but I, personally, would not take a dog in a van. I know lots of people do, but I would not. Unless you have hookups to run a/c, temperature control can be a challenge when the dog is left alone. Some areas have laws against leaving pets alone in vehicles. There are not always good, safe places where you want to be to exercise a dog. Unless you can keep the dog with you constantly, it is going to spend an awful lot of time in "puppy jail." RV'ing with a dog will not be all beer and skittles, either for you or your dog.

I do appreciate that point also. I like anyone (like yourself) who values animal welfare. That is why my dog is probably my biggest concern. I would never leave her in conditions I would not stay myself. I do not have this fantasy in my head of all "beer and skittles". I know there are MANY things to consider and that is why I am trying to plan so diligently. I've already decided if the heat is too much, I would suck it up and stay in a spot with elec. hookups. If I absolutely had to, I would ride around with the A/C or heat running to keep her safe. Thank you for your advice.

Vacilador said:
Having a really nice dining room set that could set up the interior of a step van or box truck in a gypsy vardo theme, 

Hello and welcome.........since I've been here I think yours is the first post other than one of mine that mentions gypsy vardo. :)  If I keep my Viking pop-up I plan on redoing the interior with jewel tones and darker wood paneling & in that style.  I hope you are able to fix your vehicle up in that style.  In case no one has said it yet.  Please post pics of your build.                  Jewellann

I have some vardo truck camper plans that I have been working on. be happy to sent them if interested. I already posted them here a while back under camper for flatbed truck.

OK Here are some of my thoughts on vardo style. Clicking on them will give larger image. 
camper3.jpgcamper2.jpgcamper1.jpgcamper4.jpg

I just bought a van, so maybe I will get a small trailer and build with one of these ideas. Not having a cab over section would make it a lot easier to build. I have already welded up the 4 bottom metal corners. Just need to fit some 4x4 to fit them. I figured with a heavy frame I could make everything else light like the sides. maybe canvas over foam. If the frame is too heavy I can drill out holes in the timbers that don't need a lot of strength.

Attachments

• camper1.jpg
    camper1.jpg
    301 KB
  • camper2.jpg
    camper2.jpg
    302 KB
  • camper3.jpg
    camper3.jpg
    338.7 KB
  • camper4.jpg
    camper4.jpg