Feeding canned food to conserve water

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canine

Reaction score
This is my experience only with my dog. I've never heard anyone mention it, but I found it so interesting, I wanted to share it.

I recently switched my 45 pound dog over from dry food to canned food. Not the cheap stuff like Ole Roy, Iams, Science Diet, Purina, etc. I only feed the good stuff, so I don't have the weird synthetic ingredients and fillers that might contribute to thirst. When I switched her over, she started drinking less water. This is to be expected; however, she drinks close to a third of what she used to. We would go through 5 gallons of drinking water a week, but now it last 10 days or a bit more. And that's with summer coming. Sometimes in summer we will drink almost 10 gallons a week.

This was interesting enough for me to make a post about it. Anyone who really wants to conserve water and has pets, may want to consider this option to help with water consumption.

FYI I feed Nature's Logic. There's lots of quality foods out there. It doesn't need to be this brand specifically.

I give my cats canned food with a bit of water mixed in and then keep a decent quality dry food available at all times along with fresh water.I'm guessing the additional fluid in canned food just as you say is probably the reason your dog isn't drinking quite as much water. Goodness it takes me longer to select my kitties food than my own! LOL!

I've never been big on canned since it feels like I'm paying premium for a can of mostly water. I feed my current dog, a Mastiff, dry. I soak it in double + the volume hot water. When I bred and showed Danes, I did the same. Giant dogs and their propensity for bloat....
I guess for boondocking long periods, limit of water, canned might be a good plan. I'd be thinking about the weight of all those cans.
I fed my guy raw for about 4 months and noticed he drank less water then. But then, he's weird about drinking anyway. The first 8-9 months I had him, he drank NO water. Only what was in his food. The last 6 months though, he's decided water from the puddles in the road are acceptable. Oh, and I found a water bowl he deems worthy. lol
Another observation..... as a groomer, I always check the dog's teeth. When they're bad, I ask the owners what they feed. They all say canned. Some feed poor quality, some premium. Result... gross teeth. An old dog will likely have bad teeth regardless, though not always.
I'm curious. What was the motivation to switch to canned?

Way I look at it, you're hauling the water either way.. yet paying a premium for having it in a can.

My kitties get Fancy Feast (or something similar) - the pate or classic styles. Sometimes 9Lives. I switched my torti over to canned a few years ago due to her starting to get heavy.  Some cats do well with dry free-feeding, Maggie was becoming one who didn't. This was even on the 'upper-end' cat foods.

I was worried about her so I did some research and I learned that cats thrive on high-protein diets and little to no carbs. Even though 'critter by products' sounds gross to us, a cat is not picky about what parts of the birds or mice they might eat. It's important to note that cats and dogs are pretty different I think in this regard so I don't know a canine's optimum requirement.

I tried some no-grains dry foods at first like Wellness Core, but found those to be calorie-heavy so in Maggie's case, she'd still act hungry after being given the (fairly small) amount she should have calorie-wise so I switched to canned for her. I try to purchase kinds that don't have grains, glutens, etc.  Gramakittycat, I laughed at your post because I've had the same problem. :D

The canned trial worked. Maggie lost weight, her coat is phenomenal and a vet up in Billings when doing up some travel papers for her asked me, "She looks really great. What are you feeding this cat?"

Is it more expensive? I don't know about more expensive than if I fed them dry, because foods like the dry Wellness Core aren't cheap.

They do drink less water on the canned because they get the extra moisture from the food, Georgie tends to drink more water as he is a growing kitten, we are also in an arid climate here.

When I've had dogs, the vets always told me that the dry food was healthier for them.

LucyImHome, the amount of water depends on the brand of food you buy. Any canned food will have water, but the higher quality brands have much less water compared to less expensive brands.

I used to have an aversion to canned dog food. Why or how I developed a general aversion to it, I don't know, but I did. When I started considering it, I became aware of my baseless opinion and set out to see if it had merit. It didn't.

I changed for three reasons. First, my dog has extremely bad hips and a deformed back. My vet said she probably wouldn't live past 10. At 9 she was starting to display pain and discomfort much more frequently, so higher and higher quality food was fed to her until I found the best food I could buy. When I realized the canned form was that much better, I opted for that. Several people have commented how she is doing better. People who've never met her constantly comment on how frisky and bouncy she is for an 11-year-old dog. Many think she is still near the puppy stage, but with her greying face, that is less common. I can't say for certain increasing the quality of her food helps, but a strong correlation is there.

Secondly, dry food goes stale after about two weeks. A 27 pound bag would last me about 5 weeks; at that point I could notice a considerable change in the food. (I always folded the bag over and used a heavy duty wood working clip it shut. I never dumped the bag into another container.) I couldn't see it becoming rancid or moldy, but clearly stale. I then started buying 13 pound bags, but dry dog food gets more expensive the smaller bags get. Since the smaller bags started approaching the cost of canned, the cans began looking more financially appealing.

The third reason is the carbohydrate/protein/fat ratios are much better than dry kibble. In order for kibble to not be dust, it needs some type of carb to keep it in kibble form. Dogs aren't ideally built to handle a lot of carbs. Carbs are an easy way to gain weight, too. My dog doesn't have a weight problem, but the weight thing is good to know. I don't want her to develop a pooch like her dad.

Kidney stones are something to be aware of. Not as much of a concern for dogs, but more so for certain breeds of kitties. (Yes, I call them "kitties" not "cats" because "kitties" is much cuter. I can't help it!) Kidney stones form when the urine is too acid or too base and there are enough minerals in a solution (urine) that is not diluted enough. To help prevent kidney stones, I keep my dog well hydrated. Canned food helps with that. Less water concentrates any minerals that are present which makes crystallization of the minerals more likely to occur. The process of making dry food inherently increases the amount of minerals like phosphate and magnesium. Canned food isn't "cooked" like dry food is, so fewer crystal-forming minerals are created. If the minerals aren't there in the first place, crystals in the kidneys won't develop because you can't create crystals out of thin urine... I mean thin air. Prescription foods from Science Diet have differing ph levels and reduced mineral content in their food to help prevent kidney stones. Sometimes spending the extra money for a high quality canned food will solve the problem without needing the more expensive yet lesser quality prescription food, but that should be done on the advice of a veterinarian. Kidney stones are very serious. And kidney stones are sooo painful. Not to sound gross, but peeing out a kidney stone is awful!

Canned food is definitely more expensive than dry and it can be hard to measure. My dog uses 1 1/2 cans of food per day. I place the half can of food in the fridge for the next day. If you use an odd ratio like 5/6 of a can, then that can be a pain to measure. My dog used to hate the canned, but now she prefers it much more than the dry. The food I use smells good. If I used it to make hors doeuvres, you wouldn't be able to tell.

When I said she drinks close to a third less water, that estimation seems exaggerated. Definitely less than half, though- a considerable difference in water consumption.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
When I've had dogs, the vets always told me that the dry food was healthier for them.

That is the first I've heard of that. Do you know why the vets you spoke to recommended kibble over canned?

Canine said:
That is the first I've heard of that. Do you know why the vets you spoke to recommended kibble over canned?

It's been a long time, and it seems there were multiple reasons but the only one that is coming to mind at the moment had to do with keeping their teeth clean and preventing gum disease.

The dry kibble cleaning teeth is a myth. Sure, it will do a little to clean the ends of teeth, but does little near the gum line where most of the problems occur. Plaque builds up and if left there will become calcified turning into tartar. Gum disease sets in and teeth rot. Dentists don't recommend that people eat crunchy food in lieu of brushing. Same for dogs. Dogs need their teeth brushed just like people. They also need to have annual visits to the vet for teeth evaluation and maybe cleaning just like people.

Most people don't brush their dogs' teeth, so anything would be better than nothing, but that is making excuses. For a dog to have healthy teeth, those teeth need to be properly cared for. Especially older dogs, brachycephalic dogs, or dogs with otherwise crowded or crooked teeth. I'm sure some vets do recommend dry food; I would like to hear at least one good reason besides convenience or price.

Willy, you are actually using less water overall; however, I agree that one is paying a premium by using canned food to save water. It is inconvenient (or sometimes simply not possible) to budget more for higher quality canned food, so feeding dry is usually just the owner making excuses for not using better food, BUT I do the same thing.

If I wanted the best for my dog, I would feed raw food. Canned is cheaper and more convenient, so I sacrifice her diet and her health so I can have more money in my pocket at the end of the month and more time at the end of the day because canned food is faster to prepare. I chose to draw the line at canned food while others draw the line elsewhere. Just because someone justifies their purchase of lesser quality food based on price and/or convenience doesn't mean they are doing a truly bad thing. It is nice to be aware of other options and to make truly informed decisions. The ones I make on based on ignorance really bother me- hate it when I do that!

I do the same as gramakittycat for my kitties for the reason that Canine discusses very well, kidney stones. Having had them myself I cab attest to how painful they are. Also, I've had 2 male cats get kidney stones. One cat I had to tearfully put down after the kidney stone caused cascading health issues that we battled for months.

My 15 year old cat prefers the wet food mixed with water. His teeth aren't great so maybe it's easier for him to lap it up. He sure let's me know when I get lazy and only put out the dry. The wet food is also easier to put his glucosamine and chondroitin in. I have a family member who is a vet so I trust that it's not just to increase the bottom line when the supplements were prescribed for pain. Also kitty seems to move and jump more since adding the supplements.

gypsychic, I've read and been told that glucosamine and chondroitin don't do any good, but my experience with myself and my dog has been it helps. I have no doubts the beneficial nature of that. The food I feed now doesn't have supplements, yett it has worked the best on my dog's hips and back. I endorse those two supplements even though I don't use them anymore.

gypsychic said:
My 15 year old cat prefers the wet food mixed with water. His teeth aren't great so maybe it's easier for him to lap it up. He sure let's me know when I get lazy and only put out the dry. The wet food is also easier to put his glucosamine and chondroitin in. I have a family member who is a vet so I trust that it's not just to increase the bottom line when the supplements were prescribed for pain. Also kitty seems to move and jump more since adding the supplements.

Thanks for the note about mixing the wet food with water. I'm not only doing eldercare for mom but for her cat as well... :rolleyes:

She likes her canned food well enough but she seems to have trouble with it because she laps at it like she would water instead of eating it like she does her dry food....weird I know. I'm going to try her with some water added to see if it makes any difference.

What supplement do you have your cat on. I think it's about time to start (probably overdue) to add a supplement to this one.

Almost There said:
Thanks for the note about mixing the wet food with water. I'm not only doing eldercare for mom but for her cat as well... :rolleyes:

She likes her canned food well enough but she seems to have trouble with it because she laps at it like she would water instead of eating it like she does her dry food....weird I know. I'm going to try her with some water added to see if it makes any difference.

What supplement do you have your cat on. I think it's about time to start (probably overdue) to add a supplement to this one.
I've noticed a lot of cats do this.

As far as supplements, I only add the glucosomine and chondroitin. I was noticing my elder cat was walking stiff and getting up slower. I was concerned about arthritic pain. He's been on it 8-9 months and is almost as spry as a kitten now. My vet ordered it for me.

I've also heard there isn't much in those supplements that are really worth anything but I trust my vet. My vet practices evidence based medicine meaning if there's not a double blind placebo study that validates a course of action, my vet wouldn't be prescribing it. Also my cat seems to move much easier now. Placebo effect may be there for humans but I doubt my cat suddenly started moving more fluidly coincidentally a little after I started adding tuna flavored powder to his food. And while knowing I'm adding it to his food might influence how I see some of his actions, he is back to jumping onto the bathroom counter to drink from the faucet again. Not really a big deal except he doesn't seem to remember he can't breathe water. He tries to drink the drops by moving his head so it's upside down. Then he jumps down and makes the most horrible sounds as he tries to deal with the water in his nasal cavities, like a kitty asthma attack. This I was glad to not have to witness when he couldn't jump up to the dripping faucet.

I agree that eating dry kibble will not clean the teeth. Same with greenies and the like. Like you said, if it were true, us humans would be doing it! lol I don't know why my observation is of dogs eating canned having worse teeth. Maybe it is poor quality canned, and people that say they're feeding good quality canned are fibbing, don't want to fess up to feeding crap.
I get grooming clients asking me to brush their dog's teeth. I ask them if they brush the dog's teeth daily. Of course all say no. I observe how often the dog gets groomed, and say so your dog's teeth get brushed every 2 or 3 or 6 months? How would your teeth look if you brushed that often? Look of horror follows. Then they usually say "So you'll brush my dog's teeth?" SMH...... Sure, that'll be an extra $5.

Conserving drinking water?? No way!! I want Bindi to hydrate as much as she feels she needs...just as we do. We spend a good part of our time in dry climates and hydration is important for human and animal.

We carry enough water to rinse Bindi's bowl daily, just as we would do for ourselves. Plan for it and don't conserve when it comes to your family's health.

bindi&us said:
Conserving drinking water?? No way!! I want Bindi to hydrate as much as she feels she needs...just as we do. We spend a good part of our time in dry climates and hydration is important for human and animal.

We carry enough water to rinse Bindi's bowl daily, just as we would do for ourselves. Plan for it and don't conserve when it comes to your family's health.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. My little critter has access to water -fresh water- often. It's just that she drank much more water when eating dry food. When she started eating wet food, she drank far less, so now she drinks much less water. The dry food was desiccating or seemed to have some sort of diuretic effect.

Canine...I see what you mean :) 
Being a desert guy, I'm just adamant about hydration and don't want others to think they can skimp on water.

I tried wet food with Bindi but her stool was too loose. I have her on a buffalo dry food and she seems to have the right consistency at the exit.
Now to get rid of her winter pudgy and into a good summer slim-down.
A girl has to look good, ya know ;)

bindi&us, I fed Blue Buffalo at one time and found that the easiest brand for my dog to gain weight on. Good food, but harder to maintain the weight. One time I bought a large bag of another brand, but accidentally purchased the one for puppies. She gained a couple pounds at the end of a month on that. Lol.

"A girl has to look good, ya know"

I'm not a girl, but am quite shapely- I know what she means! LOL

Canine,

I also believe using good quality canned food is a good idea as you are 'sneaking' water into their food in addition to their water bowl. This is especially important in the drier western part of the US. Canned food also keeps better as it is sealed and will not grow bacteria, mold, or insect parts...just keep it away from your other canned food or you will wake up with a surprise breakfast some day. With raw food, it is the chunks of meat that they have to chew on for a while is what causes the 'brushing action' and cleans the teeth. I will try making homemade raw food for my cat next month and see how it goes.

I feel canned is the best affordable 'in-between' selection - and as you said, limit the carbs as much as possible (potatoes, rice, etc.) - which, if too much is eaten, can cause diabetes or other problems later in life. (Dogs may be able to eat more carbs/veggies than cats, not sure.) Understandably, there may be people that cannot afford canned, so dry is the only option. For both canned and dry, remember, the ingredient list is additive, so if you see two or more carb sources in the first five ingredients, that means that there is possibly more carbs (in weight) than the protein listed - manufacturers like to trick you that way.

I use Life's abundance and add one ounce of water to the food and cut it into chunks. Organic Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Turkey, Chicken Meal, and Shrimp are the ingredients - no carbs, and cheaper than any well known brand that I have seen (when on autoship - about 95 cents per 3 oz can).

http://www.lifesabundance.com/Pets/...th=False&Category=CannedCatFood_v11(Pet_Base)