Mimmie and her foods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G0ldengirl68

Reaction score
I have a hard time, even in this apartment, feeding Mimmie dog food that she isn't that fond of, and I get her the best I can with nutrients for her too because I'm a health nut for both of us.  If we go out camping, or full-timing, she will be smelling the cooking even more, that I do, and it is so hard to eat my good stuff in front of her ;(  I may sound silly to some, but I have to figure this out.  I've heard it both ways, people-food is fine for dogs, and people-food is bad for dogs.  Well what I eat is very, low carb **** diet, and I feel most of my stuff, she might be safe eating.  Anyone with opinions, or experience with your pets sharing your foods?  I do mean the nutritious things.  I would never let her have any sort of what I consider junk-food like sugars etc.

Any help appreciated, Denise

I am not an expert on Doggie nutrition but,

I have no problem letting a dog do the prewash on dishes and pots and pans.
I have no problem letting the dog be the garbage disposal
I have no problem letting the dog finish off the left overs that I don't want to eat for the 5th day in a row. LOL

However you must be the boss or a better term is "leader of the pack"
Begging off the neighbors is unacceptable.
Raiding your plate when you turn your head is unacceptable
taking any food not meant for them is unacceptable
snapping food out of your or anybody else's hand is unacceptable

my 2 cents
Highdesertranger

I am carnivore lifestyle and my dog eats meat point blank. Every now and then I put a few 'IAMS crunchies' out there as back to feed him if I don't have his meat handy but in the end........all dogs want to beg and have more food, our key here is to keep them controlled to not overeat, cause on carnivore meat food my dog barely begs cause he is satiated but when he eats the IAMs kibble chow a bit he begs cause he is not getting great nutrition.

thing is this is ME LOL and what I do.

don't overthink your pet.....feed the pet appropriately and 'the begging and more' thru your eating is just a want and who doesn't want......heck I watch people eating pizza but I won't eat it LOL cause I don't need it.

never feed your dog scraps that they don't normally eat cause that puts them into a pancreatitis type situation and that is never wanted.

worst was my dog ate the chili dog and chips off my daughter's friends plate while during a pool party and it cost me $600 in vet bills and the dog was SO sick.

constant. normal meat protein based for your dog. Do that AND THEN enjoy the walks, the fetch the ball, the hugs and more, do not put love as his lively health into the 'extra crap food' cause ya make them worse then give to them :)

my 2 cents
Highdesertranger
[/quote]
I watch her even when we are home alone as a doctor would probably call me ocd, but I don't confess that issue to them.  She minds me and knows her commands, but, she hasn't been around people much except when we see them outside smoking or walking around.  They aren't eating, so yes, I would be on top of that.  She has her crate, and would be in that if I were eating with others for example, and when I'm alone eating, she never begs.  She stays in her bed and looks at me but never comes and begs food.

I think it's very good to see that you tell people like it is Mike, and cannot agree more.  One thing about Mimmie I have to watch, she is very, very shy, but wants people that she gets used to, she sort of crawls up to let them pet her.  Some people she won't go near, she seems to know who likes dogs and who doesn't and I'm sure they are glad ;) I'd like to see what I could get for a quarter Mike ;)

I have a dog that has a few food issues....No he is not allowed to eat until after we do and he is not allowed to beg or snap food unless it is offered and carefully taken from hands, that is not his issues. He is allergic to stuff so he gets semi homemade foods. We have found 1 dry food he can eat and no canned foods. So he gets the dry, but I make his wet. If your dog wants 'people' food just make it separately or before you add the stuff that is not good for her. Barney gets slow cooked pork with carrots or pumpkin no salt, no sugar, no grains. Nothing but pork and 1 veggy. He loves it! We freeze it in small containers that we can get maybe 3 meals out of so only have to make a big crock pot full once or so a month. There are some good recipies for homemade dog food out there. If he was smaller we might go to full home cooked, but he is to big. With all our other dogs they have been our left over cleaner uppers.

She doesn't beg at all, except for hugs or wanting up in my lap, or to go outside. I'm the one that feels bad eating in front of her. She must smell things like the meats, bacon, sausage.

She looks at me, at what I'm doing but she never begs. I think I need to switch out her dog food because she she scratches but no hot-spots. What did you get, vanbrat, for your dogs allergies if you don't mind me asking? I used to feed my last little dog IAMS, or Physician Formula, I think I might have went too cheap with a Purina brand but the label read amazingly good nutrition. I guess I can't trust labels always, but I do read them.

Believe it or not he eats Gravy Train.... no chicken. He also gets a benadrile tablet when he is really itchy. His skin problems are not just from food, he likes to run through, not around, blackberry bushes. He always gets scratched up and if we don't see it right away that is when he really gets bad.
He gets a fish oil pill too, just to help keep his skin not so dry. We found a few treat things for him that are chicken free and mostly grain free peanut butter and oats and carrots I think I will have to re look at them. Oats and rice are usually pretty safe for dogs.
His dinner dish is about half and half dry with pork meat stuff. He does get a plain burger once in awhile at McD's. Hubby's idea not mine. At 120lbs he eats a lot.
We have had dogs that could not eat corn, but that doesn't seem his thing and we had a dog that just had dry skin, that was when we learned about fish oil pills. He loves them and they really do help his skin. There was once he got teriyaki stuff and he about went nuts. He had a full on pain pill that night and that was the end of left overs for him. He does not get raw hide any more, they hit him hard too.... don't know why on those. It is an ongoing thing with him.
He was a puppy mill rescue from, I guess, a really bad situation so we are not surprised by some of these things.
I call him a big dumb love. Which he is.

I saw this vet talking about food and allergies for pets and he makes his own. I was surprised that he was feeding whole chicken, bones and all but I followed his instructions and dang sure they were soft as can be when they were done.

This is just one of his videos and isn’t the one I watched but there has to be more.

vanbrat said:
I call him a big dumb love. Which he is.
I bet he is too, I love big, lovey dogs but where I live I could only have a dog under 25 lbs.  I didn't want a dot when Mimmie (Mimosa like the flower) came along.  She was raised 4 years with this "family" and she show signs of at the least, no proper care.  But she's a natural with a few times of teaching her the main things like "no", and "here mimmie" then I tell her "crate" and she goes over and gets in.  I did that because I want to take her in the truck to the store, with is the only place, pretty much, that I go.  Anyway, those people that had her were going to give her to just anyone, maybe sell her and she wasn't fixed so I picked her up and told them I'd take her home with me.  They let me and that's how I got her and she's one of the best things that's happened in my life.  Someone that needs me, and she gets me out whether I want to go or not, lol!!

Super easy-keeper, so easy to bath I can't believe it, she doesn't even shake soapy water on me, she just loves the scrubbing with my fingers and massage.  Then we have play time to dry her with a towel because she will not let me use the hair-dryer ;)  She's on Purina "something or other" threw the bag away as I have an airtight container for her food.  But it has supposedly real salmon in it.  She still stubborn about eating.  I think it's because she gets a treat (piece of) Greenies, they're so expensive so I cut them in 4s.  So I think she thinks if she holds out long enough she'll get another greenie :D

Cammalu said:

I'll watch this too Cammalu as I've thought a lot about cooking her food.  I use to always share my vegetable soups with my little dog Toney that I lost back in 2006.  I didn't think I'd ever get another dog, but here I am:)

I don't remember if it was chicken or not but bone-broth is recommended for diabetics too.

My dog gets 3 meals a day consisting of half a hamburger patty, 1/3 can Wellness pate (pure beef), teaspoon of brown rice, raw cauliflower, canned plain pumpkin, raw green beans, cucumber, baby carrots, she takes a lot of pills so she get a bit of bread and deviled ham. She loves vegetables but won’t eat peas or broccoli.

I struggle, even in this loft, taking care of Mimmie canine food that she isn't that partial to, and I get her all that can be expected with supplements for her too on the grounds that I'm a wellbeing nut for the two of us. Assuming we go out setting up camp, or full-timing, she will smell the cooking significantly more, that I do, and it is so difficult to eat my great stuff before her ;( I might sound senseless to some, yet I need to sort this out. I've heard it the two different ways, human food is fine for canines, and human food is awful for canines. Well what I eat is extremely, low carb **** diet, and I feel the majority of my stuff, she may safe eat. Anybody with conclusions, or involvement in your pets sharing your food varieties? I in all actuality do mean the nutritious things. I could never allow her to have any kind of what I consider low quality food like sugars and so forth.

Any assistance appreciated, Denise

You probably know that certain veggies are toxic to canines. Something to think about.

Well, people food is not overall bad for dogs. But feeding only people food will result in deficiencies of some things dogs absolutely need for health. Dogs are not people and so won't thrive as best as they can if only fed people food. And that not-thriving brings disease and vet trips. Also, as stated above there are kinds of food people eat that are truly toxic to dogs (not just chocolate).

If a person is going to cook food for their dog or feed raw, the only way to do it is to become very well versed in dog nutrition. You can't just cook up some meat and veges and all is good, despite what you see on YouTube. You need to add supplements and know exactly which ones and then understand the proportions that you need with how much of this or that thing you put into the cooked food in order for the supplements to be at the right levels and so on. It is more complex than probably most people in van life want to do.

The best thing to do is choose the best quality dog food you can afford regularly (see https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ for excellent information on which commercial dog foods are good and which are lousy and clear analysis of why), and then supplement that with small amounts of whatever human food is healthy and the dog likes.

For instance you can use a little of your meat as a topper on a meal. Also good toppers: hard boiled eggs, yogurt, a tiny bit of cheese, bits of cooked chicken breast, a bite of your burger, apple slices, etc. Just do the research so you know what not to let them have. Like grapes, which will kill a dog eventually if fed to them.

Don't just give supplements to the dog because you think you should or because of an ad you saw. You could be overloading a dog with something they already have plenty of in their food and cause more problems than you solve. Overloading certain things, like calcium, causes a lot of problems. The only supplement that I think is pretty much across the board useful is salmon oil, especially for any dog over 10.

I understand wanting to share with the dog. I do it. But my dogs are trained to wait politely for me to give them the Last Bite. Bit of toast, last bite of the banana and so on. And they can look at me while I am eating but not at anyone else while they are eating because that would be rude.