Favorite food for cold weather

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Camper

Reaction score
What is your favorite food to make, bake, and eat when it's very cold?

I'm not usually a soup guy, but a good stew or chili is a cold weather treat to me.

I make a spaghetti sauce that I can carry over into other different meals beside spaghetti.

Used as hot dog sauce or for sloppy joes sandwiches or thickened with breadcrumbs & cumin for taco's/burritos

Mixed with cooked rice & bread crumbs to stuff bell peppers

Used with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and egg to make a meatloaf

Used with cooked rice & seasoned with cumin & paprika to make Spanish Rice

Used with a can of mixed vegetables and topped with instant mashed potatoes & baked...then broiled some to make a cottage pie.

Used with added beans, tomato juice etc , and seasonings to make a chili

If you have the means to freeze it in small containers you can save the sauce to make any of these variants.

My wife makes the worlds best chili. She puts brown suger in it never causes heartburn & adds great flavor. A big pot in the kitchen now. Stay warm everyone!

I eat the same year around except on cold mornings I seem to prefer hot cereals for breakfast and a hot beverage.

My diesel heater is a cooktop/heater from Finland. They use them in boats there. So on cold nights I sometimes do use it to make a pot of something that takes longer simmering rather than fast cooking. Might as well since I can at no extra cost for cooking fuel. 👍

Last edited:
MMmmm. Beef stew with lots of potatoes and veggies.
2nd place is pork soup... Nice chunks of pork in a light broth
with nice bits of fat still attached to them. Not healthy but
keeps you warm on cold days!

Chili. And yes, as a Texan I have feelings about proper chili :LOL: ...

Wick Fowler's Chili Mix
Couldn't agree more. In fact, a homemade version of Wick Fowler's Two Alarm is on the menu here today, along with jalapeno cornbread. The packets are super convenient, but a little pricey. I have had a bag of masa (needed to "tighten up" the chili) in the freezer for (dare I say) years, since only a small amount is used in each batch. The other stuff is always on hand. Second round is served on top of white rice.

If u really want to take tomato soup to the next level use half and half instead of just milk.
I do that sometimes.

I almost always mix it half milk and half water and usually add a slice of American cheese. Or shredded cheddar. Top it with crackers or seasoned croutons .

Sometimes the grilled cheese is swiss on rye. Usually American on whole wheat .

I do that sometimes.

I almost always mix it half milk and half water and usually add a slice of American cheese. Or shredded cheddar. Top it with crackers or seasoned croutons .
Grilled cheese variations
Very thin sliced apple with really good cheddar
Very thin turkey or ham or chicken deli meat with Goda cheese
cooked bacon and very thin sliced tomato with Jack cheese
Salami and mozzarella cheese and a bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on
Thin sliced fresh pears and some really good cheddar & jack cheese, maybe pepper jack.
Hubby likes roast beef and cheedar
Son likes super thin sliced red or sweet onions with his meats.
Breads
whole wheat - sourdough - white - french bread or something sweet with fruits and cheese.