Fantasy truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John61CT

Reaction score
I'm looking for a GMC-Chevy truck with their 8.1L gasser engine, ideally fleet maintained and well under 100K miles

Ultimately I'd like a 20+ foot bed, capable of carrying a 20' connex

or my-design removable box "living pod".

But to start, just ability to pull a 15K pound trailer up and down hills with ease

and ideally rough off-road, expedition style.

Sometimes I come across 2500/3500 versions going reasonably, but hardly ever 4WD.

The next step up is usually 6500/7500, often boom / forestry rigs

which might gets you manual trans, sometimes but still rarely 4WD,

or ex-tow roll-off flatbed rigs

or dump trucks

all these obviously lots pricier.

Depending on the starting point, I may need to extend the frame and drive shaft, or

swap in a heavier-duty rear end

Conversion to 4x4 may not be realistic, but who knows as I do things step by step over time and I work hard save my pennies.

No specific Qs at this point, just putting it out there as a wish placeholder, all suggestions / feedback welcome!

One suggestion...think about a truck cargo box instead of a connex. An empty 20 foot connex is 5000 lbs.

I like the idea of a flatbed tow truck...
A while back when arriving at the track for a race weekend, the previous group (Ferrari Club) were packing out. Most of this group had flatbed, roll off tow trucks outfitted with a cargo box attached. The bed operated normally allowing easy loading/unloading, while the box kept their shiny Ferrari's nice and clean while traveling. I thought at the time that set up would make for a nice camper/toy hauler. My idea would have a floor built in and the whole box could be rolled off...kinda like a 'truck camper' on steroids.

Just a thought.

Woody-Enclosed.jpg

Attachments

• Woody-Enclosed.jpg
    Woody-Enclosed.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 10
The connex is for international shipping / travel, and long term unattended storage in remote locations, perhaps underground.

Not usually being carried around.

And the truck only used when needed, small fuel efficient commuter car otherwise.

I used to see an old forestry 4 x 4 fire trucks for sale ocassionally but they would probably be too short. Some school dristricts in Colorado use 4 x 4 school buses but most are disel. Maybe an older 4 x 4 dump truck? Most rollback trucks are not 4 x 4 as they use the bed to unstick the truck.

It doesn't have the engine you're looking for but I'll mention the Mitsubishi Fuso 4x4. It might be at the low end of what you're planning on pulling but it's an option worth considering for this kind of thing.

I know 2 guys with F-450's with the 6.7 diesel. both of them blew the engines. I am not talking head gasket or anything fixable, I am talking pistons laying on the highway. one of them was the second engine Ford put in, he blew the original too. highdesertranger

Yes I'm sold not only on GMC, but on that specific 8.1L engine.

And no way is my starting point going to cost in the $20Ks.

I've seen plenty in the $7-12K range, but mostly with 150K already on the engine.

I don't really need the 5500-7500s, but they're not much more than the 2500-3500s, and I do like the idea of a manual trannie.

How expensive is it to replace/rebuild the drive train. Buy with higher milage and fix known worn out componets?

highdesertranger said:
I know 2 guys with F-450's with the 6.7 diesel.  both of them blew the engines.  I am not talking head gasket or anything fixable,  I am talking pistons laying on the highway.  one of them was the second engine Ford put in,  he blew the original too.  highdesertranger
Too bad, otherwise that would be my dream platform. Room for a nice RV house. Go into the outback, 4WD, with only the vultures for neighbors.

bullfrog said:
How expensive is it to replace/rebuild the drive train. Buy with higher milage and fix known worn out componets?
Well if you're planning on putting down lots of miles and keeping for decades, major components will need to be replaced anyway.

Not as much as buying a whole new vehicle, if you are knowledgeable, and especially if you can do a lot of wrenching yourself.

But it is certainly cheaper to buy a vehicle starting out at lower miles and in good condition, as confirmed by a trusted mechanic's inspection before closing the deal.

For the 8.1L vehicles, very few are under 50K, but plenty around 100K. If I found one at 200K everything I want at half the price, I'd go for it, and budget $8000 for a crate engine or overhaul within the first few years.

No interest in diesel, gassers only,

specifically Chevy / GMC 3500+ trucks with big blocks, and ideally that 8.1L engine.

Please consider this a personal design / build thread, and keep within the above topics.

Do start your own thread(s) for other types, doing so is free and very easy.

I had 2 Military Dueces, one with a box(radio repair truck)7000 miles & one flatbed troop carrier 18,000. Slow but sure.