Feedback on this truck please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John61CT

Reaction score
All caps from their description, sorry.

1987 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500HD 4X4 DUALLY

actually a V30 MODEL, CHEVY ONLY USED THE V FOR 1987-1989 WHY I DON'T KNOW THEN BACK TO K MODEL 

BOUGHT IT IN 10/23/2009 WITH 70,000 ON IT, REBUILT 454, TBI FUEL INJECTION AT 77,000, 400 TRANS REBUILT AT SAME TIME

NOW HAS 82,000 MILES

205 TRANSFER CASE
DETRIOT LOCKERS FRONT AND REAR WITH 411 GEARS
DANA 60 FRONT AXLE AND DANA 80 REAR AXLE

OVERLOAD SPRINGS RATE IT AT 1 1/2 TON

IT HAD A REBUILT TITLE  WHEN I TITLED IT, DOESN'T SHOW THAT ANY MORE BECAUSE IT WAS INSPECTED BY STATE POLICE BY THE LAST OWNER AND PASSED, but still shows up that way with a VIN check

A LITTLE RUST INSIDE DRIVERS SIDE DOOR AND A LITTLE IN THE BACK

currently a dump truck, I just want a flatbed and for HD towing, maybe 14-15K pounds

He wants $7K, can likely talk him down some if I show up waving cash. Obviously would find a trusted mechanic to check it out.

Would prefer something newer, ideally with 8.1L (don't want diesel), but they apparently weren't shipped with 4x4 except for forestry trucks, which rarely go under $30grand.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome.

The milage sounds almost too good to be true. If it was used to haul asphalt it may have a lot ot idle time and if it had side boards heavy loads. In other words check it's history and maintenance logs closely. If it is a local truck find out who maintained it. Check the frame closely for cracks and repairs. Usually a totaled dump truck has a twisted frame from turning over with the bed up in my experience. I would assume it would have a PTO as well to check. I think after looking at the market around here that would be a little high but I will have spent close to that to build a reliable 1988 Surburban using some of those componets. HDR can probably price out the conponets to give you a better idea of what you are getting and it's value if everything goes south. Good Luck and best wishes.

Didn't they only have a 100K odometer in those years (not the million mile ones like later)? 1987 to 2009 only 70K miles. Had it 9 years and only put 12K miles on it. Used to be a rebuilt title (at least this was disclosed).

Wonder how many times the odometer has rolled over?

Only after a careful inspection and 7K sounds really high to me.

Used by a tree guy, hauling firewood sometimes but mostly chipper waste. Lives in the southern east coast, suburban area.

Pics of all mechanicals look immaculate. Has the receipts from reco'ing the motor 12K miles / 9 years ago.

Dump mechanism off gearbox PTO, says works perfectly.

I'm thinking I might even get some back selling that and the box, since I want a flatbed.

Pics attached, about 100KB (that's kilobytes, aka 102,400 bytes) in total
caba4abcd917309f66def0dbdd79cf3f.jpg
b971cb6dd743e6668620802cdd1571cb.jpg
36e8f724bd333e5944102fe3851a998d.jpg
525d014180aebbe3d080640a41abbcac.jpg

Looks awful pretty for a work truck. Does it have the right sized tires on the rear duals ? It looks lile they might be oversized and touching sidewalls, that would be no bueno. Also noticed an oil spot on the driveway is it from the truck?

I won't quibble about things like that if the fundamentals check out.

4x4 with such towing capacity is very hard to find, and pretty sure from HDR's past posts those diffs / lockers etc are the bee's knees for overlanding.

The 8.1L's I've been looking at routinely need a quart of oil every other fillup, and that's when they're brand new.

couple of points. I doubt it has a Detroit Locker in the front. if you have every driven a vehicle with a locked front axle you would know they are impossible to turn, I mean impossible.

second that rear axle doesn't appear wide enough for a Dana 80. in fact unless some one swapped an 80 in there it's not an 80. it would be a GM corporate full floating 14 bolt or a Dana 70. if it was originally sold as a cab and chassis(CC) it's a 14 bolt. actually I would want the 14 bolt more that either Dana. it appears to be a 14 bolt.

T-400 with a 205 = damn near bullet proof trans/transfer case combo.

check the rust real good. remember rust is like an ice berg you only see 10% of what's there.

try to get to the bottom as to why it has a rebuilt tittle. if the frame is/was bent you will be calling me for a new frame. I have one in stock but it's a military pick up not a CC.

there is a lot I like about that truck. but I wouldn't pay 7k for it. but that's me and right now we have 7 squarebody Chevy trucks waiting to get parted out or sold. dang I need to get on it. sorry to only 1 ton the drive train is spoken for.

one point that drive train is worth about 5k parted out.

any questions ask away.

highdesertranger

Very useful, I'll ask him about those issues, thanks much.

Auction price did not get past his Reserve, so the guy's saying he might sell the dump rear and just use it himself as a daily driver.

If I do want you to help with whatever I end up getting, whereabout's your yard located?

changing the driveshaft length is no big deal, not that expensive. lengthening the frame is more involved to do it right. a 20ft conex means a long distance between the front axle and the rear. it's going to be prone to high centering. my parts are in Mohave Valley, AZ. highdesertranger

Don’t over rev it.  With those low gears that would blow the motor.  Put on taller tires if it is reved up at 60 mph.