Fantasy Toolbox

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
So, i thought itd be interesting to see what you would bring with you while vehicle dwelling.

1) First is the budget box, you have a typical handymans tool box, about 200 lowes/HD gift card, no other tools. What do you pack in it?

2) You now have a rubbermaid container/ job box and 1000 gift card, what do you take?

3) You can have any one tool in the store free, what do you pick.

Free tool would be a 18 volt Makita set flashlight, 1/2 inch drill, impact driver gun in the carrying case with charger of course.
Sorry but you have to sort them into the boxes :)

1. digital multimeter
2. Battery powered continuity tester
3. pointy end 12 volt test probe
4. Basic screwdriver set with stubbies may as well grab offsets too.
5 needle nose pliers, smaller and larger channel lock pliers, die cuts, small and medium vise grips maybe a large also
6. Wrench set 1/4 to 3/4 and and mm set
7.1/4 inch dr socket set
8. 3/8 dr socket set
9. Ball pein hammer
10.Magnetic pickup tool
11. Claw type pick up tool
12. Sharpening stone
13. Soldering gun set with micro butane torch
14. propane tank and torch
15. Razor knife
16. Mini screwdriver set
17. Grease gun with flex hose Mini will do
18. A few files, flat, round, thin
19. Allen wrenches folding are nice
20. Hex drive bits 1/4 and 3/8 for the Makita impact Phillips bits too!
22. Hacksaw
23. Tape measure
24. Paint pen
25. Drill assortment in box
26. Wire brush
27. Teflon tape
28. Electrical tape
29. Scissors
30. JB weld
31. Loctite fast set epoxy
32. Large adjustable wrench or something to fit a trailer ball
33. Blue tarp but go with the more classy cammo variety
34. Bungee cords
35. couple ratchet straps
36. Roll of mechanics wire
37. Condoms

Nice additions gsfish.
Maybe some 6011 or 6013 1/8th inch and a good pair jumper cables and piece of 2/0 or 3/0 to link two 12 volt batteries together. I mean we do need to be able to arc weld, dont we?

Only problem is you will need a medium duty and a 40 ft 5er when we are done.

If gsfish can have Jessica Alba in his, I can have a chauffeur/mechanic in mine. Sex doesn't matter and they'd need to make their own sleeping arrangements.

cyndi said:
If gsfish can have Jessica Alba in his, I can have a chauffeur/mechanic in mine. Sex doesn't matter and they'd need to make their own sleeping arrangements.

You can borrow "anything" you want from mine. Just in case.

I have no idea on the tools but I'll take a bottle of wine and some chocolate *grins

and someone like Norm - but mechanical

Add duct tape, canned air and one-man brake bleeder.

Not including the one man brake bleeder, Wd40, and Jessica Alba:{ , I currently have every thing listed in this thread, in my Van right now, and so much more, mostly carpentry related, it is ridiculous.

3 Levels, 18 inch 48 inch 72 inch
Mag77 skil saw
Saber saw
Sawzall
Oscillating tool
4.5" angle grinder flap sanders and cut off wheels
18x3 beltsander
12 amp Polisher/sander and assorted pads
Plunge router and a dozen bits
Planer
Folding saw horse table
Hydraulic crimper
Soldering irons
Kreg pocket screw kit
25 50 and 100 foot 12 awg extension cords
About 15 quick grip clamps
2 bessey clamps
25 2 inch spring clamps.

Good grief I could go on for an hour if I were to list every tool.

Now I understand why I am lucky getting 8.5 MPG around town

I should make a road trip tool list, and actually go on the road trip but I always imagine a scenario where I'll need such and such a tool and in the Van it stays.

Bah. That is the problem with having designed everything for maximum storage. I can carry way too much crap, and do.

Impressive lists!

How about #1, you only have one handheld toolbox, what do you choose for it?

For me its screw driver set, small rachet set, cordless drill, hammer, various pliers, duct tape, measuring tape, magnetic collapsable cup thing so i don't lose screws, various bits, some wrenches, small square, pb blaster, clamps, crimper. Pry bar/wonder bar. I'm thinking a sander/grinder and a dremel with attachments would be pretty handy and still fit. Like to have a saw too but that might bump me to #2

wow, a guy thing to be sure, tools are such an essential part of my life. Good reading as I will be going through my tool box for an upcoming road trip (Oct) to drive my son to Chicago from San Francisco. Hey what about Kitchen tools? cleaning tools and personal hygiene tools. I would like to add a microscope to the long list.

Cordless drill and charger, screwdrivers, hammer, locking and needle nose pliers, adjustable wrench, flashlight, duct tape and zip ties. Jack, lug wrench, cheater pipe, A few spare hoses and belts. That's about all I need with my limited mechanical ability. Free towing from AAA or Good Sam's would have to be my next option. The $1000 card would be used for carpentry tools, I'm not happy if I'm not remodeling something

Nobody has mentioned the single most important thing you can carry - an old coffee can full of assorted bolts, nuts, washers, machine screws, cotter pins, hose clamps, short pieces of threaded rod, etc.

All the tools in the world won't help if you have no way to replace fasteners that fall off as you're driving down the road - or even worse, the unpaved National Forest trail.

Regards
John

Cotter pins....the very mention of my nemesis makes my blood boil :p

One you might xpect..rusted pin in tie rod end..ever diminishing size as it breaks..spent an hour on it but had to admit defeat and have some one get it out for me. Such a small thing can be so annoying lol

I saw that DDC put mechanics wire on his list, and I'm with him on that one

...but I also carry a handfull of good 'ol wire coat hangers. They're alot stronger then mechanic's wire and I use 'em all the time for good strong roadside repairs.

don't you all know all you need is a pair of pliers, a can of wd-40, bailing wire, and duct tape. will fix everything. if it moves and it's not supposed to, duct tape or bailing wire. if it doesn't move and it's supposed to, wd-40. don't laugh I have seen it. great thread though. some of you sound pretty handy to have around. highdesertranger

patched many a muffler in them olden days. Handy to have a big nail to tighten the wire.

I have no use for WD-40. PBblaster is a FAR superior penetrating oil. And Boishield T-9 a much better rust protector. IMNPHO.

Regards
John

Hmmm, nice list, there's some stuff I can see I need to add to my shopping list, lol.
I'd just add a couple of things like:

Lighted safety glasses (holding a penlight in your teeth gets old ;?)
Several types of vice grips (always handy when you need a third hand)
Industrial strength velcro tape
1 qt. Marvel Mystery Oil
CRC Degreaser (good stuff if it's gotta be clean)
3m VHB tape (amazing stuff, it can be used in place of screws or glue)
Panel clip pliers (handy for interior automotive work)
Unibit