Extending bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I was looking for bed ideas and found this yesterday:

http://vandogtraveller.com/expanding-bed-for-van/

My Van is a short wheelbase & short body. I'm 6'2" and need space to sleep fully stretched out (medical necessity). I've got just over 7' interior length from back of van to behind driver's seatback and this seems like a sensible way to get a comfortable bed size while allowing additional floor space where not sleeping.

I'm interested what otherds think about those approach to satisfying my medical need. Everything from subtle refinements, to lumber choices, to all-out scrapping of this design for something else.

Thanks!

I've seen that design (and minor variations) used many times in builds, and I've always thought it had mostly all positives. Main advantages over some other options are: 1) provides a uniformly flat surface, even in relation to separate components, 2) simple setup, no jigsaw puzzle pieces, and 3) simple design makes it accessible to any DIY skill level.

The primary disadvantage of those designs (for me) is the seam or fold where the mattress becomes a seatback...even a futon's curved transition creates a variation that I don't like.

When I was working with a similar design idea, I came up with what I think would've been a nice solution. I used to have a Select Comfort bed, now more well known as a Sleep Number inflatable mattress. It was really a great bed, can't say enough good things about it. Anyway, it has programmable firmness settings...in a nutshell: deflate to soft and a crossbar pins the fold point so half is backrest, half is seat of couch. Remove or pivot crossbar, hit remote to firm setting and bed inflates to flat. That almost made it into my build until I opted for a bed lift...

I've had a similar setup in my mini cargos for several years. My extension goes lengthwise, so that I can retract it and have enough room for my computer desk setup. I'm quite happy with it and the only problem I've had is what Brad mentioned. Repeatedly folding my mattress has caused the two layers of foam (memory foam and latex) to separate and the memory foam tends to bunch up in spots. I have to periodically open up the mattress cover to straighten it out. Even at its worst it's still very comfortable. I'm planning on sewing a new cover to turn it into a tri-fold mattress.

The main difference in mine is the legs are not built into the extension. In the past I had removable legs, now I have two permanent legs that the extension sits on.

My bed expands, but I use a leaf system.  So far it's just at the foot of the bed, but I plan to make another leaf for the side (8" wide X 6' long) to increase the width from 30" to 38", should I desire the extra space.  So far I haven't felt it necessary.  I do, however, use the leaf at the foot of the bed so I can stretch out, but only once in a while.  
Even though I'm 6' 4.5" tall and my bed, with the leaf folded under, is 6', I'm very comfortable.  

I like that design in the short clip you posted, but it looks like it would be a real PITA to build.  Then again I suck at woodwork/carpentry, so what do I know?

I built my bed behind the driver's seat but with a set width.

If you want one foam mattress that will bend upward to become a couch back, here's what I did:

I sliced only part way through the foam down the length about 1/3 from one edge. This left enough solid foam on the top surface that it doesn't come apart at night, while it parts enough underneath to bend up nicely for a slanted couch back, which also creates a little pocket back there where I tuck away bedding.

Perhaps there is a version of that which could apply to your extended width bed.

Sassy

Thanks for posting this Richard. I like the idea and was thinking of doing something like this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't want to shoot your idea down and others have been quite happy with it. Mine I built from scratch using a futon couch/bed slightly modified.
It is HEAVY. I had some trouble with securing it and secondly securing so it would not slide open. It has never fully opened but it slides out a bit if on rather bumpy roads. Because I used the futon I have limited access underneath it. I'm thinking I'll pull it and make a stationary bed along side the wall. I don't need the length you do so mine is on passenger side and frankly I only need a 21" width.

here is a link to some of the pictures. http://s216.photobucket.com/user/bloddyback/library/CheapRVlivingdotcom

That's exactly what my travel trailer (the old one) has in it for a sofa / bed, and it works a treat, or did, with the stock cushions, which were basically 1 wide and 2 narrow couch cushions
when extended, it makes a 48" bed, when not extended, it makes a sofa, and it can be 1/2 way out, and fits a twin bed mattress
I did not, however, like extending / retracting it every day, so I mostly left it extended
you'll want plywood sheets or something under the mattress unless you want to feel the slats

That link looks like a great idea and is a very well done tutorial!

I am a VW Westfalia owner and one thing I dislike about the unit is that the bed is made up from a collection of smaller cushions.

When I build out my Dodge, it's a one piece bed mattress for me! No more falling into cracks during the night! No more pull it out and make it, strip it and fold it up, pull it out, fold it up, pull it out. Fold it up....... All for some level of mediocre sleep!

I'm 5'10" and I've figured out that I fit fully across the rear of my 03 Dodge. For this reason I'm building a bed in the rear design. I do have the longer wheel base (127") which helps with available space too.

Dave

A couple of my earlier vans had pull out beds that actually worked with no falling through the cracks... :D 

I used the full width of the van and built a base that was twin size deep by the width of the van. I added a pair of cabinets in front of the bed base that were sized so that a pull out piece of plywood would drop down on it and make a level area (so 1" lower if using 1" plywood). The extension was the difference between the 38" main platform and the length of a full size mattress.

The mattress itself was a full double that I cut in to three pieces across the width and then sewed a cover for. The cover was quilted material on the top and I used sheets for the rest because it was cheaper.  The top was the same size as the mattress and had 3 'pockets' sewn in it that held each section of the mattress. Once each piece of the mattress was inserted in the pockets, they were simply closed with velcro which was on the bottom anyways so it never showed.

To pull out the bed you first pulled out the base, dropped it down on the two lower cabinets, then pulled the mattress forward. It would unfold as you pulled on it. I used to leave it all made up. It was not military neat but it looked okay.

Wish I could draw diagrams, it was so easy to do, hard to explain.

Richard said:
I was looking for bed ideas and found this yesterday:

http://vandogtraveller.com/expanding-bed-for-van/

My Van is a short wheelbase & short body. I'm 6'2" and need space to sleep fully stretched out (medical necessity). I've got just over 7' interior length from back of van to behind driver's seatback and this seems like a sensible way to get a comfortable bed size while allowing additional floor space where not sleeping.

I'm interested what otherds think about those approach to satisfying my medical need. Everything from subtle refinements, to lumber choices, to all-out scrapping of this design for something else.

Thanks!
The bed seems rather impractical but thanks for the link. Thanks.