Express/Savana is 26 years old

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
The Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana were introduced 26 years ago and except for face lifts and some juggling of powertrain options, has been essentially unchanged. Meanwhile, Ford and Ram have gone the Euro style van route and Nissan has it's soon-to-depart pickup-based van. 

So, is the Express/Savana out of date or just a fully proven, don't-fix-what-aint-broke workhorse?

It usually comes down to the bottom line. The corporate accountants make the deals when it comes to flleet purchases especially when what they are looking at buying meets the criteria for functionality such as hauling, cargo space, fuel economy and warranty service deals.  This is very different than Joe public who tends to buy for looks as much as function but has no large mult order lets make a deal power for deep disounts. So cargo vans are not so much about looks and styling as they are about the bottom line pricing.

Are the RAM and Ford vans from European designs? I can see the RAM being based off of a Fiat product. Not sure if Ford has a similar partnership. Does GM have a such a partnership? If not, maybe the market is big enough to justify product development.

Changing subjects, do RV manufacturers use GM chassis? I see lots of class Bs and smaller class Cs using Transit, RAM, and Sprinter chassis. I think some of the class C's use Ford van chassis. Does GM play in this market?

I don't see a hightop option for Chevy. That seems like a deal breaker for many vanlifers. I know there are aftermarket options but that seems like a pain.

They seem to have nice options for engines, though.

Travelmonkey said:
Are the RAM and Ford vans from European designs?  ...Not sure if Ford has a similar partnership.

Ford has sold the Transit in Europe for many years.

MrNoodly said:
The Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana were introduced 26 years ago and except for face lifts and some juggling of powertrain options, has been essentially unchanged....
Long live the Chevy vans!!!

I own a RAM because the Chevrolet vans were too expensive, had rear wheel drive, top too low.

But my true love was a Chevrolet 4x4 pickup, took me on many fine adventures.
-crofter

Travelmonkey said:
Are the RAM and Ford vans from European designs?  I can see the RAM being based off of a Fiat product.  Not sure if Ford has a similar partnership.  Does GM have a such a partnership?  If not, maybe the market is big enough to justify product development.

Changing subjects, do RV manufacturers use GM chassis?  I see lots of class Bs and smaller class Cs using Transit, RAM, and Sprinter chassis.  I think some of the class C's use Ford van chassis.  Does GM play in this market?

I have a 2012 Class C on a 3500 Express Cutaway Chassic, Yes GM still offers these but the Chevys are harder to fine. Most the Chevy Chassic used are the 4500 version, it was around 2012 that Chevy switched the 3500 HD over to the 4500 model. I have had some problems with this as the 3500 used a 33 Gal tank with filler in the front of the body. and the 4500 with the filler in the back of the body, used a 57 gal tank, mine is in the back but with the optional 45 gal tank. 

Mine has the 6.0 L Vortex motor in it.

I have never been a fan of Ford although I have owned a few a 1929, 1931, and a 1980.

I like to call them the euro style vans, but they have gained tremendous popularity over here the last several years, I believe started by Mercedes and then Dodge which were rebranded Benz's I think.
I for one having worked out of both style vans, the euro style is much nicer with it's higher roof.
I further think with the euro style van gaining popularity, manufactures figure why have different vans in the US and just have one van line world wide.
I would have looked at buying one, but on my budget it was a good ole American style van for me lol.

And my 2nd Chevy I've bought, which is an Astro van, Express van's little brother.

Also, as far as Chevy not offering a high top model, with the exception of the euro style vans high top vans were only from after market upfitters.

I think the Astro and Express AWD versions would make a nice base to build off of, but are getting a little long in the tooth for me. Someone in my neighborhood has a well maintained Astro AWD (I think, it has actually 4x4 badge on it), with a rear bumper rack. Nice size to travel the country.