Convert your GM cargo van to hybrid and reduce fuel use by 21%

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue

Reaction score
http://evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=31475

Published: 15-May-2013

ORLANDO, Fla. -- XL Hybrids, Inc., developer of a low-cost hybrid electric powertrain designed for class 1 to 3 commercial fleet vehicles, announced today that it has an agreement with The Knapheide Manufacturing Company, a commercial vehicle equipment provider in North America, for the installation and distribution of its products. In light of the partnership, the two companies will display a hybrid Chevrolet Express cargo van upfitted with XL Hybrids’ hybrid powertrain technology at Knapheide’s booth at the 2014 GM Fleet and Commercial Product Preview held at the Gaylord Palms Convention Center in Orlando, Fla. from May 13 to 17.

Designed for seamless integration with the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) powertrain, XL Hybrids’ technology will be installed by Knapheide through its existing ship-through process, thus providing a one-stop purchase, upfit, delivery and invoice experience for commercial fleets. The companies’ partnership will launch nationwide delivery with the new 2014 model year Chevy Express and GMC Savana vans starting August 1, 2013, and is also available for installation on bailment pool vehicles or as a retrofit for 2010 to 2013 GM cargo vans.

“We are excited to offer our fleet customers a work-ready hybrid electric vehicle upfitted with XL Hybrids’ fuel efficient hybrid powertrain technology because XL Hybrids’ product has been designed specifically for commercial fleets and the product offers a fast payback,” said Chris Weiss, vice president of engineering for Knapheide. “We look forward to working with XL Hybrids to market and deploy the hybrid product to our fleet customers looking for vehicle lifecycle cost-reduction from fuel and maintenance savings.”Clay Siegert, XL Hybrids co-founder and vice president of supply chain, said, “The GM Fleet and Commercial Product Preview show is an opportunity to showcase our hybrid powertrain and the new ship-through relationship between XL Hybrids and Knapheide, a highly respected and deeply experienced partner. XL Hybrids has already successfully deployed our hybrid technology in the field with some of the largest fleets in North America, and we look forward to additional success with Knapheide.”

For more information on XL Hybrids technology and availability, visit www.xlhybrids.com or email info [at] xlhybrids.com.

About XL Hybrids

XL Hybrids designs, manufactures and installs hybrid electric powertrains for commercial vans and trucks. The company’s patent-pending hybrid electric powertrain can be installed on existing vehicles as a retrofit or as an upfit on new ones. By storing energy wasted in braking and reapplying it during acceleration, XL Hybrids technology decreases fuel use and carbon dioxide emissions by up to 21.2 percent on urban routes, while operating with the same durability and reliability as traditional vans and trucks. XL Hybrids was founded by MIT alumni and is based in Boston. For more information, visit www.xlhybrids.com.

The problem with this hybrid system is that 1) it has an entry cost of around 10 grand and 2) it does not have the advantages listed in the other hybrid vehicle threads to make it worthwhile (namely motor start-stop, ability to use the motor as an automatic generator, ability to use the hybrid battery bank for house battery).

For 10 grand, getting a 3MPG increase on a vehicle that would see less than 10,000 miles per year would be a horrible investment, in my opinion.

While I appreciate people trying to get better mpg's with our big vans, I have to agree with Aimless...

Do the math folks. You are not saving that much money.

The only thing that could justify this economically is if there are hefty tax breaks for businesses that run fleets of vehicles . . .

Regards
John

I still say ( and have always ), get a new Chevy or Ford van with a bad motor and drop a 89-93 Cummins diesel in it, you won't be sorry... You could do it for under 10k., if you have some mechanical experience and a welder.. One wire fire, no computer.. Will last 500,000 miles and get you upwards of 20-24mpg... Only hitch is finding one that will not kill your bank account and the time to drop it in and get it dialed.... I think it would be a way better investment than 3 miles per gallon with a hybrid. By my calculations your getting better than 7-9 miles per gallon and a pretty simple motor that has stood the test.... This is of course is in my dreamland :)

I don't buy the mileage claim. It is from a site that promotes EV use.

I only want a hybrid to have the advantage of having a large built-in battery bank that can be charged very fast and automatically. This allows the use of vehicle air conditioning or heating while having your very quiet generator (the vehicle motor) automatically cycle on and off.

Not having to buy house batteries, charging electronics, air conditioner, heater, or generator... that's why I want a hybrid van. The fuel economy is just an added bonus if it exists. But again, this particular XL system is NOT going to solve ANY of those issues.

Latest posts