Chevy Express/GMC Savana - Difference in Engines / Frames over the years

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjsingh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Shopping for a used Chevy Express or GMC Savana cargo van to outfit for an upcoming road trip.

Just curious in the differences in the models from around 2000 - 2010 as those are the years I'm seeing. I see that not too much has changed except that in 2003 they updated the front-end sheet metal and changed to an LS engine. (Source Wikipedia).

I don't know much about vans or engines. Can anyone advise me on what might be the tradeoffs between these models in the different years? Is there any particular engine that is better or worse? For instance, 5.0L V8 vs 4.8L V8, and what is the new LS engine?

Thank you

Here's a simple break down all are based on the 350 the difference in the engines is torque due to cam and pistons the LS is built with a 22° cam making it draw more on intake the 4.3-5.7 have different pistons
One produce's 315 ft pounds of torque the later 355 fpt..so aside from fuel economy there's really not much difference. You can tweak any of them with an intake and rail swap to more power or economy. Main thing is do your homework, check the crank seals pan gasket's head gaskets and of course oil and transmission fluid. As far as frames go just get down there and really look them over for rust and stress cracks
The 3500 has a heavier frame but all are good platforms for a build. Suspension is the key as you add weight keep in mind how the van sits. You might go with larger springs and shocks or even adding air bags and heavy duty sway bars. Then of course brakes are important don't skimp get quality rotors and pads change the fluid In fact ALL of them. And you should have a safe and reliable vehicle. Hope that this helps you in your decision.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Beeps and eats said:
Here's a simple break down all are based on the 350 the difference in the engines is torque due to cam and pistons the LS is built with a 22° cam making it draw more on intake the 4.3-5.7 have different pistons
One produce's 315 ft pounds of torque the later 355 fpt..so aside from fuel economy there's really not much difference. You can tweak any of them with an intake and rail swap to more power or economy. Main thing is do your homework, check the crank seals pan gasket's head gaskets and of course oil and transmission fluid. As far as frames go just get down there and really look them over for rust and stress cracks
The 3500 has a heavier frame but all are good platforms for a build. Suspension is the key as you add weight keep in mind how the van sits. You might go with larger springs and shocks or even adding air bags and heavy duty sway bars. Then of course brakes are important don't skimp get quality rotors and pads change the fluid In fact ALL of them. And you should have a safe and reliable vehicle. Hope that this helps you in your decision.

Thanks! I hear you saying that the differences between the years isn't very important except for a small difference in fuel economy. I suppose lower liter means higher MPG? Just how slight is the difference?

And those are great recommendations for a pre-buy inspection and also taking care of the van. I'm looking at a 2000 GMC Savana 2500 cargo with 85k miles on it.

vjsingh said:
I suppose lower liter means higher MPG?

I'm looking at a 2000 GMC Savana 2500 cargo with 85k miles on it.

Smaller engine doesn't necessarily mean higher MPG - the opposite can be true.

A smaller engine has to work harder than a larger engine when pulling the same weight load. You  might get slightly better gas mileage on the small engine if you're only driving it in the city and are a very courteous mild mannered driver...push it hard into acceleration and your gas mileage will take a big hit.

I have a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 cargo that weighed in at 7,231 lbs on the weigh scales. It has the 24" high top and about 600 lbs of batteries amongst other things. It's got the 5.7L engine in it and I wouldn't want to be hauling it up the mountain grades even on the interstates without that engine. I am an extremely fuel conscious driver and get about 16 mpg with it on long road trips.

If I ever have to replace this van, it will be with another GMC/Chev cargo van.

KAlmost There said:
Smaller engine doesn't necessarily mean higher MPG - the opposite can be true.

A smaller engine has to work harder than a larger engine when pulling the same weight load. You  might get slightly better gas mileage on the small engine if you're only driving it in the city and are a very courteous mild mannered driver...push it hard into acceleration and your gas mileage will take a big hit.

I have a 2002 GMC Savana 2500 cargo that weighed in at 7,231 lbs on the weigh scales. It has the 24" high top and about 600 lbs of batteries amongst other things. It's got the 5.7L engine in it and I wouldn't want to be hauling it up the mountain grades even on the interstates without that engine. I am an extremely fuel conscious driver and get about 16 mpg with it on long road trips.

If I ever have to replace this van, it will be with another GMC/Chev cargo van.

Good to hear you like your GMC / Chevy van!

Looking at a 5.0L v8 2500 tomorrow. I’m not planning on putting a high top on it and at least right now am hoping to keep the build lighter. You think Ill be ok on dem mountainous roads or do you recommend looking a bit more for a more powerful engine?

That depends on the price and condition of the vehicle more than anything else.

If it truly has only 85K on it and it's in good condition, I'd rather settle for the smaller engine knowing that it's going to be passed by the transports on the steeper grades than sit and wait for something else with low mileage and the right price to come along.

It took me 6 months to find my van. Most cargo vans are commercially run and don't get put up for sale until they've got a bazillion miles on them. 

I lucked out and found a one owner, personal use van that only had 62,000 miles on it and it was within my price range. AND it was only 3 1/2 hours from home.

You can always save up and get a crate short block rebuild in a larger size. Just make sure the add ons are compatible.

It looks like this van (2000 GMC Savana with a 5.0L v8) has a 305 engine, and not a 350. 

I saw this on the “info on common vans” thread in the mechanical section:

“Motors - For all years concerned here we are talking about variations of the 350ci v8 (5.7) and the 305 v8. Even the 4.3L v6 Vortec is a 350 with two cylinders cut off. I will make this section quick because there are only a few things you need to know. The 305 sucks“

Just how worried about getting a 305 should I be? What exactly sucks about it, performance, reliability, MPG? I’m no planning on hitching a trailer to it

I've had the 4.8 and 5.3 in pickup (2001, 2005, currently 2004) and they are both great engines with over 100,000 miles each.  Present truck has 139,000 and I'd drive it anywhere.  These engines are easy to get parts for when needed and you can find mechanics to work on them easily.  Either engine would be a good choice.

I just got back from a month on the western slope of Colorado. My van is a 2011 Chevy Express 1500, with a 5.3 motor ,window van. I camp, not a full timer so I don't need to carry a lot of extra weight and the half ton meets my needs. I got the van first part of last May, and I've been in disbelief on my gas mileage, but I've checked it several times. On the highway at 65mph I'm getting 21+ mpg, I tried checking mpg at 60 and got one mpg less go figure. going over the Rockies I got 18mpg, however the 5.3 did seem to struggle a bit and had to downshift. The mountains was the only place I would of preferred a 5.7 motor. My 2006 Highlander is lucky to get 21 mpg on the highway I don't know how the van can do it. The one thing lacking with the van is a tachometer. This would of been useful in the mountains to prevent over revving the engine going down hill, I needed to keep my radio off and really concentrate on the engine noise. My van is a standard length and while I would love the extra room I don't think I could get one in some of the areas I go. While exploring dirt roads for access to the Gunnison River I made a wrong turn and ended up on a jeep trail. It was fine at first but by the time I realized I had screwed up it was impossible to turn around or to try and back out. I had sheer wall on one side a drop off into the river on the other. I'm sure I would of high centered in a extended van, maybe in a Ford if the back end didn't drag. When I made it to the bottom near the river I finally had just enough room to turn around. Then had to face the trip back-up the road from hell and just slowly creeped uphill in first gear. The ride beat the hell out of me and the van but the only damage was a loose wheel covering. One thing I like about my half ton compared to the one tons I've driven is the nice ride, it handles as easily as my Highlander and is just very easy to drive.